Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Anyone know why glock uses polygonal rifling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #21
Resident Lurker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 671 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 1802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
No the problem is polygonal barrels accumulate lead if you shoot reloads because they have less of a channel than standard rifling and leave lead in the barrel because they compress the lead more than a standard rifled barrel . Over time it accumulates if not kept spotless or if you blow through a whole bunch of ammo at one time and pressure will build causing the gun to detonate.

Now this is easily solved by buying any garden variety aftermarket barrel with standard rifling.

But now Durango kid has introduced the either fact or speculation that for some reason which has yet to be explained ( because the standard rifling should take care of the problem ) that aftermarket barrels are not safe to operate in the pistol either.

Now Im going to have to do some research to either confirm or bust this myth whether or not it is true.

However if it is true and aftermarket barrels arn't safe to run in a glock either. Than I'm never buying one again.

And for the record a stock Glock of any model is rated for either FMJ or JHP only because of this issue
I knew about the no lead rule, but figured it was just Glock covering their own kiesters, but i still wouldnt shoot it.
I wasn't sure if this would be my only Glock or not, now i am.

Last edited by sputnik1988; 05-14-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #22

Liked 252 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I wasn't sure if this would be my only Glock or not, now i am.
Well , I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on it yet. Because Durango Kid and Canebrake are both known 1911 fanboy's. hehe DONT SICK ROBOCOP10MM ON ME AGAIN IM JUST BUSTIN UR BALLS FELLA'S hehe

But , I am going to get to the bottom of this and find out if the aftermarket barrels are safe or not.

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 05-14-2012 at 04:51 AM.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #23
Resident Lurker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 671 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 1802

Quote:
Well , I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on it yet.

But , I am going to get to the bottom of this and find out if the aftermarket barrels are safe or not.
Yeah, Im not to the point of selling it by any means, but I won't buy another. This one serves is purpose.

I should have bought a compact 1911. I don't like 9mm much anyway.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #24

So in layman's terms, I can only shoot FMJ or JHP rounds from my 19 or it can explode from lead buildup?!
...should have read the manual. Lol

Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #25

Liked 252 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady00 View Post
So in layman's terms, I can only shoot FMJ or JHP rounds from my 19 or it can explode from lead buildup?!
...should have read the manual. Lol
Oh yea... lead out of a stock barrel is a nono ..... Some have done it but you have to keep the barrel EXTREMELY CLEAN.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #26

Liked 1769 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

AHHHHH...........more of that sweet glock perfection.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I mean you cant shoot lead through it because of barrel leading ... So Im just wondering are there any advantages for it being rifling of choice?
Here's an excerpt from the previously mentioned article that answers your question:

"The advantages of barrels with polygonal rifling include a smaller gap between bullet and bore, leading to slightly higher bullet velocities, and smoother bores that accumulate less fouling, making them easier to clean. The barrels are also generally more accurate because there is less bullet deformation by the "grooves" (less "bite" into the bullet) and because the bore's surface is formed with more consistency. Because the rifling has no sharp corners to erode, barrels with polygonal bores have a longer, usable life, since they retain their accuracy longer. Finally, the hammer forging process used to create barrels with polygonal rifling is less likely to leave traverse tool marks, another cause of fouling, and a problem more common in conventionally rifled barrels. Accuracy, longevity, and strength may be the greatest practical benefits of barrels with polygonal rifling. A limitation is their inability to be safely used with lead bullets."

As you can see there are many advantages to polygonal rifling (other manufacturers use it too). Specially if your primary market is military and law enforcement who use jacketed bullets.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #28

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I don't consider myself a 1911 fan-boy but, I do consider myself a fairly good engineer.

Please read these three year old posts:

Glock pistols, ticking timebombs?

Every Glock Owner Should Know This!

Glocks have an unsupported chamber.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #29
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 241 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 649

iv said it already but ill say it again there are 51 countries that have military leo or security forces useing one model glock or another that translates into hundreds of thousands counting civilians your looking at millions of glocks on the market if glocks blowing up was such a big concern then you would hear about it everyday then the depts would one by one surely stop using them.if you do enough research you can find guns that have blown up of just about every make and model.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.GLOCK

Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #30
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

From what I've seen of reports or videos of glocks going boom its usually because of misuse by the owner. Generally because they are using reloads or lead ammo. If people read the owners manual they wouldn't do that.

I don't need No stinking signature.