You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

Anyone know why glock uses polygonal rifling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 267 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine5truck View Post
Now y'all got me worried lol
Yea you're tellin me . If this gun isn't safe I'm going to sell it and never buy another glock ever again.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #12

Liked 1465 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

A Colt 1911 would be a most excellent AND safe replacement.

I've shot lead (LRN and LSWC) for years....no decades in my Colt's.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here is a good read on this subject. I hope the like works from my phone.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=37197

Old 05-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #14

Liked 1465 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retaks View Post
Here is a good read on this subject. I hope the like works from my phone.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=37197
Good read, here's the crux;

To understand why it's generally not a good ideal to shoot non-jacketed lead bullets out of barrels with polygonal rifling, it's first necessary to understand how a bullet passes down the bore. All bullets are slightly larger in diameter than their nominal caliber, which is defined as the distance between opposing lands. The bullets are larger in order to provide the "extra" metal that gets squeezed into the rifling by the propellant's expanding gases as the bullet travels down the bore; this extra metal fills in the grooves to provide a purchase for the rifling, thus allowing it to spin the bullet down the bore. Conventional rifling, developed when lead bullets were the norm and muzzle velocities somewhat lower, has grooves deep enough to accommodate the buildup of lead deposits caused by the friction between bore and bullet. Regular cleaning removes the deposits before they become constrictive.

However, because more of the bullet's bearing surface is in contact with the bore in polygonally rifled barrels, lead bullets, especially when pushed at high velocities, are literally squirted down the barrel, "smearing" the bore with a lead veneer. As this veneer builds up and fills in the gap that normally exists between the bore and bullet, it causes pressure from the expanding gases (now less able to pass through the gap) to increase dangerously. This is not a problem with jacketed bullets because the jacket material is a copper alloy that's much harder than lead and resists shedding.

In fact, the ability to use cartridges with non-jacketed lead bullets may be the greatest practical benefit of conventionally rifled barrels. If ammo is scarce and you can only buy or barter for cartridges with lead bullets, or you're a reloader who uses lead bullets to keep costs down, conventional rifling is an asset. Also, conventionally rifled barrels made of stainless steel, or that have been chemically hardened or plated with hard chrome, will have good usable barrel life.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
A Colt 1911 would be a most excellent AND safe replacement.

I've shot lead (LRN and LSWC) for years....no decades in my Colt's.
Yea I got 1324.00 in my glock package its got exactly 77 rds on the clock if anyones interested ill take 1k cash or trade

Screw that thing man ... if a gun cant shoot a round it's chambered in its garbage no matter the reason and if this thing isn't safe with aftermarket barrels then ill sell my austrian bomb.

Serious i got 1324.00 in it and ill take 324 loss and break down every dollar I spent if anyones interested . + shipping ofcourse.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #16

Liked 719 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Does that mean that the polygonal barrels wear out faster???

Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #17

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Google Glock accidents etc. You will see some mangled hands and fingers. These guns are limited to hard jacketed ammo only. As the man said my 1911 Colt will shoot anything that is .452 and has powder behind it.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Google Glock accidents etc. You will see some mangled hands and fingers. These guns are limited to hard jacketed ammo only. As the man said my 1911 Colt will shoot anything that is .452 and has powder behind it.
Well I knew when I bought it you can't shoot lead out of the stock barrel. But I had no idea aftermarket barrels wern't safe to shoot either..

Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #19

Liked 719 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
Yea I got 1324.00 in my glock package its got exactly 77 rds on the clock if anyones interested ill take 1k cash or trade

Screw that thing man ... if a gun cant shoot a round it's chambered in its garbage no matter the reason and if this thing isn't safe with aftermarket barrels then ill sell my austrian bomb.

Serious i got 1324.00 in it and ill take 324 loss and break down every dollar I spent if anyones interested . + shipping ofcourse.
I have 600 in mine counting the holster, Glocks are good guns, but they aren't what a lot of people make them out to be.

I bought mine for carry and SHTF, looks like ill be looking for a different SHTF gun. Still carry it though, hard to beat for that.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Does that mean that the polygonal barrels wear out faster???
No the problem is polygonal barrels accumulate lead if you shoot reloads because they have less of a channel than standard rifling and leave lead in the barrel because they compress the lead more than a standard rifled barrel . Over time it accumulates if not kept spotless or if you blow through a whole bunch of ammo at one time and pressure will build causing the gun to detonate.

Now this is easily solved by buying any garden variety aftermarket barrel with standard rifling.

But now Durango kid has introduced the either fact or speculation that for some reason which has yet to be explained ( because the standard rifling should take care of the problem ) that aftermarket barrels are not safe to operate in the pistol either.

Now Im going to have to do some research to either confirm or bust this myth whether or not it is true.

However if it is true and aftermarket barrels arn't safe to run in a glock either. Than I'm never buying one again.

And for the record a stock Glock of any model is rated for either FMJ or JHP only because of this issue