Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Anybody run their Glock stock only?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I have what seems to be a "breeding population" of Glock pistols in my safe. Somehow they keep on multiplying....

My everyday carry gun is a 22RTF with a G27 (trusty old Gen 2) for a BUG. Both are BONE BONE BONE BONE stock. My old department still issues bone-stock Glock 22 and 27 pistols and I have never had a problem shooting 300/300 on quals as issued (Glock 2nd Gen replaced our Sig 226's 19 years ago and I was a 295/300 shooter with the Sig), so I continue to carry those pistols as they were issued now that I have retired. I am glad we upgraded to RTFs a couple of years ago before I retired.

If I ever have to use them in SD as a civilian I have no worries about carrying the evil "modified gun" and can claim with all sortsa righteous indignation that "I used the gun I was issued and with which I qualified four times a year, and each time shot perfect scores." I know that is an old Ayoob argument, but I'd rather not have to fight that one out in court if I don't have to...so I leave them as-is. IF the front sight gets worn and rounded, I will replace it as has been my practice on all my Glocks with a set of AroTek ghost ring night sights.

Similarly, if for some reason I was carrying my Les Baer 1911....I could claim it was as-is...since I did NO mods to it myself though it has a 3.75lb trigger (I ordered it with a 4lb...Baer screwed up...LOL)

My USPSA and IDPA pistol is a 3rd Gen Glock 17 with AroTek Ghosties, Ghost Rocket 3.5, Wolff springs, and a Stainless guide rod....all the rest have either Ghost Rocket or Glock 3.5 triggers and a combination of sights almost too freakin' numerous to list.

One might say I just can't make up my mind!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #22

Liked 915 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Excellent points, ArizonaLawman! I keep my guns stock too, for many of those same reasons. One other is mods cost money, so if you keep your guns stock, then you have more money for ammo and training. And other guns!

And you can pick up the run of the mill gun and operate it just fine, no looking/feeling for that gadget that isn't there.

Same reasoning goes for a PC, why not learn the orginal operating system instead of adding a bunch of applets and utilities as crutches - which aren't on another PC you may have to use.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #23

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

[QUOTE=Quentin;556619

And you can pick up the run of the mill gun and operate it just fine, no looking/feeling for that gadget that isn't there.[/QUOTE]

Quentin, I think this is the best argument for stock. Knowing all you have to do is pull that trigger is great piece of mind.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #24

Liked 915 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Yeah, stock may be boring but it does work and it works like a plain jane you may have to pick up and fire someday. I tweak my ARs (heck they're builds anyway) but most other guns I leave stock.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #25

My G19 came with factory installed NS--so yes, I run a stock Glock.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

The thing I like best about Glock (and you can even say it about the SR9, M&P, and XD and XDm)....right out of the box they are all fantastic fighting pistols. A 5.5lb trigger isn't bad. I prefer a 3.5...but in all honesty...if you actually TRAIN with your fighting handgun as opposed to going out and plinking a few cans here and there...you WILL develop a degree of competence and skill with that gun. I often shoot USPSA and IDPA matches with my every day carry gun (not one of my Glocks set-up for steel and IDPA) and am more than competetive with the guys who hang every bit of "tacti-crap" on their high end 1911's (mainly because these guys are the "gun club" fan-boys who think that spending $4,000 on a 1911 will magically transform them into a Leatham or Koenig), when the truth is, they really can't shoot. They don't shoot "groops", they shoot "patterns", and blame their ammo, comps, optics, etc...etc...etc...

Glock, Ruger, S&W, SA...all have one thing going for them above all others (in my opinion)...rock solid reliability right out of the box. In 20 years of carrying Glock on duty, and shooting competition, with 400K rounds plus out of various Glocks and having had only one malfunction with a crap after market mag...I trust Glock completely as it drops from the box.

The most important factor in running your gun is training with your gun, and not letting the gun run you. You may not fight with your pistol...

Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #27

I run my 17 stock. My 22 has a 3.5 connector and I just got a 9mm conversion barrel for it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

All of mine stock. 22 is used in IDPA matches.

27 Words keep us "free"

Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 AM   #29

I put night sites on all 4 of my glocks. All have extended slide release levers, slide lock lever for easy take down, extended mag release, and 2 have grip tape added. I did change the guide rod out on my G23 to a captured Tungsten guide rod. It does add a little weight for fast follow up shots and keeps the recoil down a tad. It helps some but unless you shot it a lot you would never notice.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #30

I dont know why so many people customize their glocks....they are built for accuracy and reliability right out of the box. That what separates glocks from other manufacturers. If you are comfortable shooting them, and are decent down range, then you dont need to do too much. Save your money you would spend on laser sights, additional barrells, recoil springs etc. Just open the box and learn how to shoot it stock. Thats my advice. Go by a second glock with the money you will save!