Anybody run their Glock stock only?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Anybody run their Glock stock only?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Anybody run their Glock stock only?

Running a G32 and a G36 stock and loving it.

I see alot of people putting in 3lbs triggers, mag extenders, slide lock release extenders, SS guide rods, stainless steel springs, ect.

Has anybody found that adding a SS guide rod and springs actually helps out or is it mental? This is the one thing I could see doing and was wondering if it's even necessary.

The other stuff I see as fluff but could be handy I guess.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

About 80% of the Glock owners out there run a stock weapon.

They are the "casual owner" just like those for, say, buy a Mustang/Camaro for the power and flash.

Then you have the people that "rely" on the weapon, the forward progressives, the fanboys and the competition shooters.

They make the mods that you are talking about because they MAKE SENSE. They address a secified change to budget constraints imposed on the production piece by bean counters that didn't care about your safety, only the bottom line.

"Plastic" guide rod (sorry, polymer )?! That makes NO SENSE to me as a gun owner.

Why would I want that?

What possible purpose could that serve ME as the end user of the product?

Things like an extended mag release or an extended slide release button have been "upgrades" by the 1911 platform for dozens of years.

Yes, sorry folks, but innovation follows tradition.

If I were to buy a Glock, and wanted to carry it because it was light and 99% reliable? The first two things I would change would be the guide rod and the trigger.

And I am barely an apprentice in the world of gunsmithing.

JD

Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I run big dot 24/7 night sights on my Glocks as well as extended slide stops. I've never had an issue with the standard guide rod system in any Glock pistol I've ever owned or been issued for a total of 10 to date. Note: If it had ever been a problem I'd have long since replaced the factory recoil spring systems with one that uses a SS rod, but as the old saying goes, if it isn't broke don't fix it. I also run an extended magazine release on my duty piece, a G-22. Lastly, I've stippled the grips on my 2 Gen 3 pistols (a G-23 and 22).

I recently purchased a Gen 4 G-19 with the RTF for my wife and possible secondary off duty carry gun. I must say I like the wider magazine release button on it and really like the RTF grip. I won't even have to stipple it to get a decent grip. That has been my biggest gripe with the Glock, the slick grips.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All internals are stock. No need for changing IMHO.

Externally I have serrations across the top of the slide (for one handed manipulations), stippled grip, and Trijicon HD NS.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1146 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

DodgerBlue, I hope there are lots of replies by Glock owners as this is interesting to me too. I'm new to Glocks, buying two in the last month, and they're both stock of course. Well the G22 did come with night sights which I like a lot. I figure I need to put a lot more rounds down the pipe before making any changes. In general I've made very few changes to any of my pistols so I know where you're coming from in regard to your Glocks.

I can't speak intelligently about the plastic guide rod or changing springs or extractors but will say if the gun is reliable I probably wouldn't change those things, at least at first. Now if Glock cheaped out on something like the guide rod, then the SS rod would be cheap insurance. The triggers aren't anything like a 1911 but I'll live with them for a while before considering any changes. Right now I'm concentrating on testing various ammo and finding a holster I really like. And of course picked up a couple more magazines.

There are a couple things I can speak about in a general manner as they apply to guns I do have experience with:

I hear a lot of recommendations for the Vickers slide stop but am almost certain I won't do that upgrade because I've never been in the habit of dropping the slide with the slide stop on any pistol, just seems normal to rack the slide and let go, especially when you have many different brands of pistols. For people that do use the slide stop as a release too, then it makes sense. No doubt my old way is a skosh slower but it's hard to change 40 years of habit.

One thing I expect to do is polish the feed ramp on my new G23Gen4 as it's pretty rough compared to the very slick feed ramp on my LE trade in G22 which looks like it would feed anything including empty brass. I've done this on many of my pistols and it's always helped.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #6

Everything is stock except the SS guide spring rod. I heard about the reduced recoil before i ever shot the thing so, i got one and never even shot it with the stock rod. Everything else is stock; i didnt see the reason to change anything else.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

My Glocks are bone stock, no plans on modifying them either.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I have two Gen 3 Glock 17s and one Glock 21. The only changes I make are the 3.5 pound trigger connectors, extended slide and magazine release. performs great with enhanced contrrols.

I do not change out the recoil spring or guide.

Check this out:

Old 06-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #9

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Both my G26 and G22 are stock, the 26 has night sights and the 22 the stock white sights. Never had any problem shooting either one so I haven't felt the need to modify them as of now. Not too keen on the extended mag release or slide lock due to I carry these for personal defense and not for competition shooting. The only guns that I have modified more than a polish job is my SP 101 .357, it received new grips and I had the barrel compensated and a nice trigger job done at the same time, this took some of the bite out of this beast, and my M&P9C I added a laser grip to. My FIL is retired LE and does a polish job to all of his carry guns, I think more out of habit than need.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #10

I got Glock 32 used and someone did something to the trigger that it's actualy like 1911 trigger. After I've got G19 4gen I had to change the connector to 3.5 lbs and haevier trigger spring. I still can't get the trigger as on G32. It is smooth and has no stacking at all, brakes crisp; like 1911