Any Rhyme Or Reason To Glock Numbers?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Any Rhyme Or Reason To Glock Numbers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any Rhyme Or Reason To Glock Numbers?

This is a question for all of you Glock lovers out there. What's the deal with all the Glock numbers? I mean a 9mm Glock can be a Glock 19 along with a Glock 17, 26, 34, etc. I would think that a different Glock number would represent a different caliber. Is there something that makes sense to you that doesn't to me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The model number is just that, a model number. I believe that it corresponds to the sequence in which it was developed.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #3

The first Glock was named after the patent number Gaston applied for. It was his 17th patent so the gun became the Glock 17. The 18 is the full auto version of the GH17. Next was the G19 (compact version of the G17). The G20 was the next one designed (the 10mm) and it was realized the 45 ACP would fit too so the G21 was born. Before the 20 & 21 were actually on the market they jumped on the development of the S&W 40 cartridge and came out with the G22 and quickly followed with the compact version, the G23. And so it goes all the way to the last one introduced, the G39.

Dave

RSVN Oct '69 - May '71
PSCD Ret.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
The first Glock was named after the patent number Gaston applied for. It was his 17th patent so the gun became the Glock 17. The 18 is the full auto version of the GH17. Next was the G19 (compact version of the G17). The G20 was the next one designed (the 10mm) and it was realized the 45 ACP would fit too so the G21 was born. Before the 20 & 21 were actually on the market they jumped on the development of the S&W 40 cartridge and came out with the G22 and quickly followed with the compact version, the G23. And so it goes all the way to the last one introduced, the G39.

Dave
Makes sense. Tks.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:24 AM   #5

Quote:

Dave
Never heard that before.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 06-18-2010, 02:18 AM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The 9mm cartridge is obviously standing the test of time. The 10mm, some say, has been surpassed by the .40.

However, considering the .45 ACP has proven itself so thoroughly, any idea why Glock didn't start with a .45? Was it just for reasons of magazine capacity?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
ET1

Quote:

Dave
I wondered as well...Thanks.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
The 9mm cartridge is obviously standing the test of time. The 10mm, some say, has been surpassed by the .40.

However, considering the .45 ACP has proven itself so thoroughly, any idea why Glock didn't start with a .45? Was it just for reasons of magazine capacity?
I would imagine it was because the company started in Europe and if you wanted a chance at military and police contracts, that's the caliber you would be most likely to sell.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs