Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default alaska

Hey guys I'm new to this hole internet thread thing. I'm moveing to alaska this month and I'm planning on buying a glock 29 for bear and all other self defense means as I will be carrying it mainly. So my question is: what is the best ammunition I can buy for bear and what is the most secure site to buy from at a good price.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I like Speer gold dot or hornady critical defense. And remember rule # 2 double tap. And if it's a big bear repeat step 2 as needed.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Personally I would dump the entire clip into the charging bear and then change my pants.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

As much as I like the Glock pistol, if you are moving to Alaska and plan on purchasing a handgun for the sole purpose of Alaska bear protection, there are far better choices in handguns than the Glock. I would suggest at the very least a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Magum or better .454 Casull. It has been proven in many encounters with bears that they can absorb a tremendous amount of punishment, especially when hungry and pi$$ed off, and feel their space has been intruded upon.

Another good choice is the "compact" version of the Smith & Wesson .500 Magnum. A 4" model can be carried in a hip holster quite comfortably, and can deliver bear stopping performance when required. Any type of Magnum revolver loaded with the proper high performance ammunition is going to be a far better choice than any auto pistol when it comes to Alaskan bear defense.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Not a good choice. The handgun, not the move to Alaska.

Have you seen the SIZE of those things? The bears, not the handgun.

Would START at .44 Magnum, however if you talk to folks that have lived there, a 12 g shotgun is MUCH preferred over a handgun.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I wouldn't choose a G29 as an "Alaskan" woods gun. Elsewhere it could be great, but I'd probably have something a little stronger specifically for when I headed into Brown Bear country.

The best large predator 10mm defense round is probably going to be a hot-loaded and heavy hard-cast FMJ. Begin your search at Buffalo Bore's website.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #7

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Here's a site that lists several distributors, 18 to be exact, click on store list. I've never had a problem buying ammo online...

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo_stats/handgun

Cruise around it a bit, I just linked the handgun ammo page...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #8

Thanx for the help guys. I jus got done reading about people getting in trouble in alaska for shooting bears out of season even in self defense without video or injury evidense. Anyone know if this is true in most parts of alaska.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Well, it has been some time since I lived there, but in ALL of Alaska, the word was you could kill a man and get away with it. Don't fish without a license, do not kill moose, caribou or bear out of season. Jail in Alaska sucked. One of our UH-1 pilots made a forced landing, wolverine did not like him being in that clearing, pilot shot wolverine. Damn near went to prison.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Not a good choice. The handgun, not the move to Alaska.

Have you seen the SIZE of those things? The bears, not the handgun.

Would START at .44 Magnum, however if you talk to folks that have lived there, a 12 g shotgun is MUCH preferred over a handgun.
And as a 3rd choice two 33 round 9mm mags for that Glock. If the other two well recommended options are frozen up by your polar adventure.