Advice needed for Glock modifications for practical shooting
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Advice needed for Glock modifications for practical shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Advice needed for Glock modifications for practical shooting

Hello guys,

I have been trying to figure out which combination to use so here is a scenario hope you can assist with. I own a G35 and use it for sport shooting. I have realised that if the pistol is not held firmly when shooting it flips a bit. However, I met a friend who has now installed a heavy duty tungsten guiderod to reduce recoil. I intend doing the same but was wondering if I were to add a magwell to the pistol if the 5.5oz magwell would be better than a 6.7oz magwell.I do not want to buy both magwells to try so if anyone has any advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated. Buying the tungsten guiderod is a must. The question is which magwell would be best for this change.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #2

Liked 1099 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinC
Hello guys,

I have been trying to figure out which combination to use so here is a scenario hope you can assist with. I own a G35 and use it for sport shooting. I have realised that if the pistol is not held firmly when shooting it flips a bit. However, I met a friend who has now installed a heavy duty tungsten guiderod to reduce recoil. I intend doing the same but was wondering if I were to add a magwell to the pistol if the 5.5oz magwell would be better than a 6.7oz magwell.I do not want to buy both magwells to try so if anyone has any advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated. Buying the tungsten guiderod is a must. The question is which magwell would be best for this change.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.
Sorry I have no advice, but I do have a question for you. Your friend has a tungsten guide rod, did it really help with the muzzle flip? I do own a G35 and was wondering about a different guide rod! I love my G35.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

The mag well will probably be nice to have. I don't think it will help much with muzzle lift. I would go for the lighter one and see if it makes a difference. Don't want your glock getting into the 1911 weight range. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

if they are the same size, I'd go with the lighter one.....

Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #5

Liked 1899 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1439

If muzzle flip is an issue, I would think muzzle weights would be what you want. Are they even made for Glocks? And/or a drilled barrel & slide. Is that allowed in your sport?

Last edited by Vincine; 05-16-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

Liked 1099 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
The mag well will probably be nice to have. I don't think it will help much with muzzle lift. I would go for the lighter one and see if it makes a difference. Don't want your glock getting into the 1911 weight range. Lol
Hell no!! You don't want to carry a brick around!!!. LOL

Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Sorry I have no advice, but I do have a question for you. Your friend has a tungsten guide rod, did it really help with the muzzle flip? I do own a G35 and was wondering about a different guide rod! I love my G35.
Yes it helped with muzzle flip. I used his G35 at our last tournament and the flip was certainly reduced. He has a 17 lb spring on his guiderod but just told me he wants a 15lb spring. Hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
If muzzle flip is an issue, I would think muzzle weights would be what you want. Are they even made for Glocks? And/or a drilled barrel & slide. Is that allowed in your sport?
The heavy duty tungsten guiderod was designed to replace the factory plastic guiderod and also add weight to the front of the firearm to reduce muzzle flip.It is a very heavy guiderod. It is allowed in IPSC matches, just that it will be in Open Class.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #9

Liked 1899 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinC View Post
The heavy duty tungsten guiderod was designed to replace the factory plastic guiderod and also add weight to the front of the firearm to reduce muzzle flip. It is a very heavy guiderod. It is allowed in IPSC matches, just that it will be in Open Class.
Ah, tungsten. I got it confused with titanium. I couldn't figure why a light rod would improve things. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #10

Liked 436 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
the factory guide rod on a glock is 10.35 grams roughly tungsten is 43.5 they say its supposed to help im thinking about getting one also.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.