Advice needed for Glock modifications for practical shooting
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > Advice needed for Glock modifications for practical shooting

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PrinC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami,Florida
Posts: 64
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Advice needed for Glock modifications for practical shooting

Hello guys,

I have been trying to figure out which combination to use so here is a scenario hope you can assist with. I own a G35 and use it for sport shooting. I have realised that if the pistol is not held firmly when shooting it flips a bit. However, I met a friend who has now installed a heavy duty tungsten guiderod to reduce recoil. I intend doing the same but was wondering if I were to add a magwell to the pistol if the 5.5oz magwell would be better than a 6.7oz magwell.I do not want to buy both magwells to try so if anyone has any advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated. Buying the tungsten guiderod is a must. The question is which magwell would be best for this change.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

__________________
PrinC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fathead00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,922
Liked 1099 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinC
Hello guys,

I have been trying to figure out which combination to use so here is a scenario hope you can assist with. I own a G35 and use it for sport shooting. I have realised that if the pistol is not held firmly when shooting it flips a bit. However, I met a friend who has now installed a heavy duty tungsten guiderod to reduce recoil. I intend doing the same but was wondering if I were to add a magwell to the pistol if the 5.5oz magwell would be better than a 6.7oz magwell.I do not want to buy both magwells to try so if anyone has any advice to offer it would be greatly appreciated. Buying the tungsten guiderod is a must. The question is which magwell would be best for this change.

Thanks in advance for your contributions.
Sorry I have no advice, but I do have a question for you. Your friend has a tungsten guide rod, did it really help with the muzzle flip? I do own a G35 and was wondering about a different guide rod! I love my G35.
__________________
Fathead00 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

The mag well will probably be nice to have. I don't think it will help much with muzzle lift. I would go for the lighter one and see if it makes a difference. Don't want your glock getting into the 1911 weight range. Lol

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AgentTikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: City of Lost Angels, Kommifornia
Posts: 3,446
Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

if they are the same size, I'd go with the lighter one.....

__________________
Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.
Know what you know, Know what you don't know. -Paul Pedzolt
"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Mynshul
AgentTikki is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,484
Liked 1899 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1439

Default

If muzzle flip is an issue, I would think muzzle weights would be what you want. Are they even made for Glocks? And/or a drilled barrel & slide. Is that allowed in your sport?

__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
"Tres verbo dictom"

Last edited by Vincine; 05-16-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Vincine is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fathead00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,922
Liked 1099 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
The mag well will probably be nice to have. I don't think it will help much with muzzle lift. I would go for the lighter one and see if it makes a difference. Don't want your glock getting into the 1911 weight range. Lol
Hell no!! You don't want to carry a brick around!!!. LOL
__________________
Fathead00 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PrinC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami,Florida
Posts: 64
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Sorry I have no advice, but I do have a question for you. Your friend has a tungsten guide rod, did it really help with the muzzle flip? I do own a G35 and was wondering about a different guide rod! I love my G35.
Yes it helped with muzzle flip. I used his G35 at our last tournament and the flip was certainly reduced. He has a 17 lb spring on his guiderod but just told me he wants a 15lb spring. Hope this helps.
__________________
PrinC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PrinC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami,Florida
Posts: 64
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
If muzzle flip is an issue, I would think muzzle weights would be what you want. Are they even made for Glocks? And/or a drilled barrel & slide. Is that allowed in your sport?
The heavy duty tungsten guiderod was designed to replace the factory plastic guiderod and also add weight to the front of the firearm to reduce muzzle flip.It is a very heavy guiderod. It is allowed in IPSC matches, just that it will be in Open Class.
__________________
PrinC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Vincine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adirondack Mts.
Posts: 3,484
Liked 1899 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1439

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinC View Post
The heavy duty tungsten guiderod was designed to replace the factory plastic guiderod and also add weight to the front of the firearm to reduce muzzle flip. It is a very heavy guiderod. It is allowed in IPSC matches, just that it will be in Open Class.
Ah, tungsten. I got it confused with titanium. I couldn't figure why a light rod would improve things. Thanks.
__________________
"Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it's boring and I go back to being me."
"You might as well be yourself, people won’t like you anyway."
"Tres verbo dictom"
Vincine is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rifleman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Live Oak,California
Posts: 1,641
Liked 436 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Sorry I have no advice, but I do have a question for you. Your friend has a tungsten guide rod, did it really help with the muzzle flip? I do own a G35 and was wondering about a different guide rod! I love my G35.
the factory guide rod on a glock is 10.35 grams roughly tungsten is 43.5 they say its supposed to help im thinking about getting one also.
__________________

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

rifleman1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
AK-47 Optic Advice Needed Like Water AK & SKS Discussion 10 11-24-2011 08:40 PM
What is the most practical defensive shooting stance? Poink88 Training & Safety 33 08-21-2011 12:13 AM
Advice needed Taxpayer The Club House 4 08-15-2007 07:20 PM
Advice needed on how too..... Packerrat General Rifle Discussion 4 07-15-2007 11:52 PM