9mm Shotshells

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > 9mm Shotshells

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 9mm Shotshells

What do you guys think about the 9mm shotshells for small rodents and snakes and such? I frequent a farm and instead of carrying around my 12 gauge it would be alot easier to carry my glock loaded with shotshells.

What do you guys think about the ammo itself? Is it effective? Is it bad for your gun?

Thanks in advance guys!

Nut up or Shut up!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't used the shot shells in 9mm, however I have used them for .22. they dont work at all in my .22 semi auto, (they dont seem to have the power to cycle the gun correctly and the "cap" that holds the shot is fragile------one broke on the loading ramp). But.............. they do work great in my .22 revolver.
I think the ammo itself is good, but I'm not sure if you would be happy with the results in your Glock.
Shooting them im my revolver hasnt damaged anything.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Do not expect the "pistol" shot shells to cycle an auto. They will not hurt your gun, but the EFFECTIVE range is much less than you might think- the spin imparted by the rifling results in a shot pattern that looks like a doughnut. I have used .45 ACP shot loads against snakes- 15 ft is about the max.

A fairly common question is whether the shot will harm the rifling in the barrel. If your barrel is made of metal softer than lead shot, you have other problems! DO clean the barrel- most of these now use a plastic capsule that can leave plastic fouling in the bore. Hoppes and a brush will fix it.

As an aside, I also load .357 shot loads, using the empty capsules from Speer. The #6 birdshot is OK. The 4 pellets of #1 buckshot is impressive.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:30 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have never used the 9mm shotshells myself. I have only used the .38 Special ones myself. The .38 works fine on snakes out to 10 feet, at least that is as far as I've tried them. The snake won't go belly up dead with impact, but it will die. I do know that a semi auto won't cycle with factory shotshell loads. That's why I carry a J frame revolver for snakes. with the revolver you have a fast follow up shot, and if you come across a snake that means you harm you will want a follow up shot sooner than later.
[IMG][/IMG]

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

"Sheeoot a snoik? Whah, jest graib the beeeeeyootie buhoind the haid and tike it to a ploise wha they's nate-yural kava, Mate!"

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-29-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Shot shells are really designed for revolvers. The plastic that holds the shot doesn't respond well to feed ramps.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 12-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

The CCI shot shells for the Auto Pistols are different than the revolver shot shells. The ones I have seen are aluminum cased and star crimped rather than having an exposed plastic capsule.

Some guns will cycle with the CCI loads.

Personally, I carry a 3" revolver loaded with shot shells for snake/rat control. I load my own using the Speer shot capsules. I load them down a bit and get pretty darn good patterns. From a tractor seat killing field rats is a high time.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Robo, I always thought you eradicated vermin with just a glare...

Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

It is more fun to shoot them off a moving tractor. The glare is too easy. Now hiting one with a .40 Gold Dot off a moving tractor, that is a challenge!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-30-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The CCI shot shells for the Auto Pistols are different than the revolver shot shells. The ones I have seen are aluminum cased and star crimped rather than having an exposed plastic capsule.

Some guns will cycle with the CCI loads.
That's excellent news. A friend of mine was asking about shotshells for his M&P. I'll tell him to look into those.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs