9mm Glock or .40 Glock?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > 9mm Glock or .40 Glock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default 9mm Glock or .40 Glock?

I've been wanting a semi-auto hand gun for a while now, and I've been told by different people to get a 9mm and some have told me to get a .40 glock! Besides the caliber what's the difference?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Ballistic differences...FPS, bullet weight, capacity...

Don't let anyone tell you what you 'need' to get...see if you can find a range that rents guns and try for yourself. You may find you don't like the GLOCK, or the caliber.

Try not to narrow it down too much, find what YOU shoot best and go from there. You may be all over the place with a .40 but dead on accurate with something else...a hit with a .22 is ALWAYS better than a miss with a .45...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
mullyb27 Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Ammo cost.

Before you buy a Glock, make sure to go to a gun range that rents guns and try a few different guns out to make sure you have the right one for you. Many guns out there are on par with the Glock like the Springfield XD, S&W M&P, etc. You want to make sure you get the gun that suits you and not just go off of someones recommendation. I am not bashing the Glock as it is a fine pistol, just want to make sure you get what is right for you.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice! I will go to my local gun range and try a few guns before making up my mind!

Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #5

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

When buying a gun the most important thing is if the gun feels comfortable in your grip. You can have 50 different people telling you get this brand or that brand. Just like the above post go rent some different firearms and calibers to see what feels comfortable to YOU. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

There is some good advice in the previous posts. Glocks dont fit my hand very well except for the G36 which has a slimmer grip. I do much better with the other brands. Fit is a major part of being able to shoot well. Dont buy any gun unless it fits and points naturally. You dont want to be adjusting your grip when you need to shoot in a hurry. You should be able to spot your target, close your eyes, bring the pistol up, open your eyes and the pistol should be on target. Try a different pistol if it isnt and dont waste your time/money on one that doesnt. Some pistols have manual safeties and some dont. If you select one with a safety, you must practice with it until you can switch the safety off automatically without thinking about it. It is very hard to pull the trigger with the safety on and people have died trying.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2841 Times on 1411 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
Ammo cost.

Before you buy a Glock, make sure to go to a gun range that rents guns and try a few different guns out to make sure you have the right one for you. Many guns out there are on par with the Glock like the Springfield XD, S&W M&P, etc. You want to make sure you get the gun that suits you and not just go off of someones recommendation. I am not bashing the Glock as it is a fine pistol, just want to make sure you get what is right for you.
+1
I would also add that there is no law that says you have to buy a polymer pistol. Do yourself a favor an broaden the field a bit. CZ 75 series and their derivative models. I love my CZ75BD (Ask about the Kadet Kit). Stoeger Cougar- Crazy value to be had. EAA Witness series are pretty good as well. Bonus, they provide conversion kits for various calibers.

For a first semi auto I think that 9mm is probably the better choice. Your going to want to shoot your new gun a lot. Might as well get the one that shoots cheaper ammo. IMHO it's also more pleasant to shoot, which will make it less work to shoot.
One can argue as to what's better than the other until your blue in the face. It will eventually come down to personal preference.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
NitroxAZ Likes This 
Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #8

Get the .40 and buy a lone wolf conversion barrel for it so you can shoot 9mm too! Only about 115 bucks! Problem solved!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #9

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodpod
Get the .40 and buy a lone wolf conversion barrel for it so you can shoot 9mm too! Only about 115 bucks! Problem solved!
So so true.......67 rounds with only 1 mag change........not my everyday carry but my when SGB set up......

forumrunner_20121003_061858.jpg

forumrunner_20121003_061925.jpg

Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the great advice, I'll keep u posted on my choice!