Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   9mm Glock or .40 Glock? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/9mm-glock-40-glock-73567/)

TheGuz00 10-02-2012 04:30 PM

9mm Glock or .40 Glock?

I've been wanting a semi-auto hand gun for a while now, and I've been told by different people to get a 9mm and some have told me to get a .40 glock! Besides the caliber what's the difference?

vincent 10-02-2012 04:39 PM

Ballistic differences...FPS, bullet weight, capacity...

Don't let anyone tell you what you 'need' to get...see if you can find a range that rents guns and try for yourself. You may find you don't like the GLOCK, or the caliber.

Try not to narrow it down too much, find what YOU shoot best and go from there. You may be all over the place with a .40 but dead on accurate with something else...a hit with a .22 is ALWAYS better than a miss with a .45...:cool:

NitroxAZ 10-02-2012 04:39 PM

Ammo cost.

Before you buy a Glock, make sure to go to a gun range that rents guns and try a few different guns out to make sure you have the right one for you. Many guns out there are on par with the Glock like the Springfield XD, S&W M&P, etc. You want to make sure you get the gun that suits you and not just go off of someones recommendation. I am not bashing the Glock as it is a fine pistol, just want to make sure you get what is right for you.

TheGuz00 10-02-2012 04:50 PM

Thanks for the advice! I will go to my local gun range and try a few guns before making up my mind!

Fathead00 10-02-2012 05:14 PM

When buying a gun the most important thing is if the gun feels comfortable in your grip. You can have 50 different people telling you get this brand or that brand. Just like the above post go rent some different firearms and calibers to see what feels comfortable to YOU. Good luck and let us know what you get.

JTJ 10-02-2012 05:35 PM

There is some good advice in the previous posts. Glocks dont fit my hand very well except for the G36 which has a slimmer grip. I do much better with the other brands. Fit is a major part of being able to shoot well. Dont buy any gun unless it fits and points naturally. You dont want to be adjusting your grip when you need to shoot in a hurry. You should be able to spot your target, close your eyes, bring the pistol up, open your eyes and the pistol should be on target. Try a different pistol if it isnt and dont waste your time/money on one that doesnt. Some pistols have manual safeties and some dont. If you select one with a safety, you must practice with it until you can switch the safety off automatically without thinking about it. It is very hard to pull the trigger with the safety on and people have died trying.

Overkill0084 10-02-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitroxAZ (Post 961493)
Ammo cost.

Before you buy a Glock, make sure to go to a gun range that rents guns and try a few different guns out to make sure you have the right one for you. Many guns out there are on par with the Glock like the Springfield XD, S&W M&P, etc. You want to make sure you get the gun that suits you and not just go off of someones recommendation. I am not bashing the Glock as it is a fine pistol, just want to make sure you get what is right for you.

+1
I would also add that there is no law that says you have to buy a polymer pistol. Do yourself a favor an broaden the field a bit. CZ 75 series and their derivative models. I love my CZ75BD (Ask about the Kadet Kit). Stoeger Cougar- Crazy value to be had. EAA Witness series are pretty good as well. Bonus, they provide conversion kits for various calibers.

For a first semi auto I think that 9mm is probably the better choice. Your going to want to shoot your new gun a lot. Might as well get the one that shoots cheaper ammo. IMHO it's also more pleasant to shoot, which will make it less work to shoot.
One can argue as to what's better than the other until your blue in the face. It will eventually come down to personal preference.

Sodpod 10-03-2012 12:15 AM

Get the .40 and buy a lone wolf conversion barrel for it so you can shoot 9mm too! Only about 115 bucks! Problem solved!

GunRunner 10-03-2012 11:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodpod
Get the .40 and buy a lone wolf conversion barrel for it so you can shoot 9mm too! Only about 115 bucks! Problem solved!

So so true.......67 rounds with only 1 mag change........not my everyday carry but my when SGB set up......

Attachment 62131

Attachment 62132

TheGuz00 10-03-2012 11:07 PM

Thanks to everyone for the great advice, I'll keep u posted on my choice!