Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > 9MM, .45ACP, or .357?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
Nobody came out and said it, but I think the OP was talking about the .357 Sig cartridge. It was developed to provide .357 magnum velocity in an autoloading pistol. It is a hard-hitting round, but what might discourage some from carrying it would be higher ammuniton costs and somewhat snappy recoil (think .40 +p). In my IDPA league, there are a few guys that shoot it competitively, but they are secret service and the gov't. buys their ammo. They use their duty guns as it makes sense for them become more proficient in a tactical setting with what they carry on duty.

It isn't for everyone. On paper, the .357 Sig is more powerful (energy ft lbs. and velocity) than the 9mm. .357 Sig fps numbers suggest it has a pretty straight trajectory as well. Any round you will be counting on for personal defense should be fired from a gun with which you have alot of shooting experience. If you have the means to reload, and/or are an experienced shooter that can handle the snappier recoil, the .357 Sig might make sense. The secret service chose it for a reason. If the premium on ammunition costs will in any way cause you to shoot less often, you might want to steer clear. 9mm is more readily available and from what I have read, modern +P loads come close to the same performance in ballistics tests. You will also be relegated to purchasing a gun from the fewer number of manufacuturers of firearms chambered for .357 Sig.

Shoot them all and then decide.
Wow, I officially had a "Blonde moment". It's funny because I've had Glocks in all calibers including .357 Sig. LOL.. By the way, I loved that gun, a 9mm on steriods. It sounds like CA357 is right, if the guy really likes his BHP and would be more willing to practice with it, by all means, a 9mm is plenty in capable hands.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Just got my CCW license and want to pick the best all around weapon for both home defense as well as concealed carry. My concern here is which caliber offers the best stopping power as well as affordable ammo for regular practice.

I know 9MM is probably the best bargain but what are the trade offs? I shoot equally well with the Glock 9 and the .45. Have yet to try the .357. Would appreciate some info on the preference of one over the other. Thanks.
Trade offs? If you're just starting out, there ain't nothing wrong with a 9mm. As a matter of fact, at today's ammo prices, starting out with a 9 might make a whole lot of sense and allow you to do a lot more practicing with that new pistol.

Me? I prefer to shoot a 45 acp; and, this preference is underwritten by the fact that I own a progressive reloader. You need to train to what you use. I do a lot of pistol shooting; I am so tuned to the heavy, but slow, 45 acp recoil that whenever I switch to a 9mm I feel like I'm shooting a, 'snappy 22 long rifle'!

In experienced hands, there is absolutely no difference in accuracy or rate of fire between a 45 acp or a 9mm. I shoot them equally; except, I'm more accurate with the 45 during rapid fire events. This is because I have conditioned myself to work with the slower recoil impulse of the 45 acp. (It's not enough to simply say; 'The 45 has more recoil.' Yes, it does; but, like many semiautomatic shooters, I have found that a slow heavy push is easier to work with at speed than a hard fast snap.)

Personally, I think there is a progression of calibers involved in pistol shooting. The longer you do it, the larger, or faster, or whatever your preferred (everyday) pistol caliber is going to be. You are just starting out; I think that for the purposes of everyday practice, ease of carry and concealment, and (sometimes restrictive) ammo costs a nice 9mm pistol would be a good choice for you to make.

There is no hard fast rule that you must fire at anything only once; and COM is, still, COM! Don't forget to get yourself a decent gun belt. OTB holsters are great for the range; and, IWB holsters are about as close to perfect as you'll find for CCW carry. Good luck to you!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #13

FYI there is now a new option in the 1911 style by Coonan, and uses standard .357 ammo, stainless with either a 5" or 6" barrel option. Fixed or fully adjustable sites. I think it holds 9 rounds.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I thank you for the responses so far. While I have not made up my mind as yet, I am strongly leaning towards the 9MM. Years ago, I owned a Browning Hi Power 9MM and it was a good gun.

My thoughts are that I can hit my target as well with that as with the .45 ACP. Plus, I will have more rounds to hit him with, should he need further convincing.

The extra motivator is how cheap 9MM ammo is. Without lots of regular practice, no gun is worth carrying. That is why I immediately crossed off the .40 and 10MM Glocks.

Does anyone have any specific reasons to choose the .357 Glock over the 9MM? Thanks again.
the problem with the Glock is that it doesn't use standard .357 rounds.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #15

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

People talk a lot of crap about the lowly 9mm. But I would not be afraid to defend myself with one.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #16

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcmace View Post
FYI there is now a new option in the 1911 style by Coonan, and uses standard .357 ammo, stainless with either a 5" or 6" barrel option. Fixed or fully adjustable sites. I think it holds 9 rounds.
I think in the 4 YEARS since the original post, the chances are pretty good the OP has made a decision. Doubtful any input now would be useful as he or she probably hasn't been here since then...just sayin'...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #17

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I think in the 4 YEARS since the original post, the chances are pretty good the OP has made a decision. Doubtful any input now would be useful as he or she probably hasn't been here since then...just sayin'...
Well in his reply JD did say that this would be a lengthy debate... His reply, I might add, is as spot on today as it was in 2008.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 02-19-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #18

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Well in his reply JD did say that this would be a lengthy debate... His reply, I might add, is as spot on today as it was in 2008.
Now how can I refute that logic???

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #19

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcmace View Post
the problem with the Glock is that it doesn't use standard .357 rounds.
They are different rounds entirely....357 SIG and .357 Magnum that is...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

{waits patiently for the poster pushing the new phazer}

Dead Bears, the only good kind.