Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > .45 GAP ammo shortage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default .45 GAP ammo shortage

I've read a lot of positive reports about the Glock 37 in .45 GAP. Lots of police agencies have switched to it, and there have been no bad reports. It supposedly has a smaller grip than a .45 acp so it's handier for people with smaller hands. I have a chance to buy one at a very reasonable price, but don't know if I should due to the limited access to ammo. Has anyone owned or shot one? I really love my 17 in 9mm, but also love the .45 acp. I'm just trying to be conservative about my spending. I hate to pass up a great deal, but equally hate to get a gun I can't shoot. Thanks for your input.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Well, you're not likely to walk into your local Walmart and be able to stock up on .45gap range rounds the way you might with many other calibers. If you don't mind ordering your ammo over the phone/internet, it's easy enough to get ahold of.

FMJ will set you back about 50 cents a round online. JHP can cost nearly a buck a round. So I guess it's really just a case of investigating what you can get locally, and what you're willing to spend online. The prices seem pretty similar to ACP, just fewer flavors to choose from.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #3

Actually it duplicates the 45 ACP in a shorter cartrige. It was necessary to use Glock's 22, 40 SW frame. About the only way they can be fired except for the pistol chambered for them is a revolver that uses metal clips. But why would you? Thought I would look at perhaps being able to fire in a Ruger Convertable. Didn't think about headspacing on the rim, so they drop right into the 45 ACP cylinder, out of reach of any firing pin by a long way!
All that self protection ammo is a buck to $1.50 a round. Two boxes of Speer Gold Dots were given to me, and I haven't checked locally who owns a pistol in this caliber. Some of the LEO departments are fickle and go for prices rather than performance. The Glock 22, 4th Generations are really an improvement for short fingered ham hands. Nothing wrong with previous ones that with enough use, the brain adjusted to the rather large hand grip.
Many of the scarce calibers are slowly returning, but I have seen some Gap ammo on occasion.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohrah View Post
Actually it duplicates the 45 ACP in a shorter cartrige. It was necessary to use Glock's 22, 40 SW frame. About the only way they can be fired except for the pistol chambered for them is a revolver that uses metal clips. But why would you? Thought I would look at perhaps being able to fire in a Ruger Convertable. Didn't think about headspacing on the rim, so they drop right into the 45 ACP cylinder, out of reach of any firing pin by a long way!
All that self protection ammo is a buck to $1.50 a round. Two boxes of Speer Gold Dots were given to me, and I haven't checked locally who owns a pistol in this caliber. Some of the LEO departments are fickle and go for prices rather than performance. The Glock 22, 4th Generations are really an improvement for short fingered ham hands. Nothing wrong with previous ones that with enough use, the brain adjusted to the rather large hand grip.
Many of the scarce calibers are slowly returning, but I have seen some Gap ammo on occasion.
As far as the .40 S&W (Glock 22), I had one and traded it. It was a first generation with a big grip. I would shoot, then have to re-grip and shoot again.

I traded it for a Springfield XD40. That pistol fits your hand right out of the box and there is no adjusting your grip between shots. As far as a .40 that is fun to shoot and super accurate, I like my Taurus PT101. It's a little heavy for daily carry, but it eats any ammo you put in it and it puts the rounds where you point it. Gotta love that gun (its the same style as the Beretta 95 with the cut away slide.

Dave

Old 08-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Had the same promblem Dave. It was Dept. issue, and I learned to adapt to it after many rounds. However, the new Generation 4, Wallah, does work great from the box, so even a greater likeness of the Glock 22. Wouldn't ya know it, after years, they are going to Smith M&Ps in a 40 caliber!!!! I will keep the Glock, as we have become familiar with each other. I have now a couple of turn ins also, a Generation 3.5 (unfired), Generation 4, and an older sub compact Glock 27. The last one does want to travel slightly in my grip, but it seems like a modified hold tames the movement to where I just need to compensate for a slightly impact to the right. A trip to the the armorer to move the rear sight in that direction, should put the cure to it!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In my opinion the .45 GAP is a carnival round, much like the SIG .357. I wouldn't wast my money.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's a good idea that didn't catch on, and given it's time in existence, probably won't.

As others said, available online, but expensive.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2285 Times on 1365 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

I always recommend that one should purchase a handgun in the caliber that would be readily available. IMO, that is 22LR, .38Spcl, .357Mag, 9mm, .40S&W, .45 ACP. If you cannot get the ammo and don't reload, congrats on your expensive paper weight.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 08-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As a gun dealer, I will say one nice thing about the .45 Gap round is even during the ammo crisis, not one of my distributors Ever ran out of .45 Gap ammo, same thing with the 5.7x28 round...

Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ammo is still expensive when I can find it, so I bought some brass, bullets and dies and reloaded my own. They work really well. I use jacketed bullets so there is no problem with the rifling. It's really the most accurate Glock that I have.

Dave