Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   .45 GAP ammo shortage (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/45-gap-ammo-shortage-21168/)

dgray64 12-16-2009 02:35 AM

.45 GAP ammo shortage

I've read a lot of positive reports about the Glock 37 in .45 GAP. Lots of police agencies have switched to it, and there have been no bad reports. It supposedly has a smaller grip than a .45 acp so it's handier for people with smaller hands. I have a chance to buy one at a very reasonable price, but don't know if I should due to the limited access to ammo. Has anyone owned or shot one? I really love my 17 in 9mm, but also love the .45 acp. I'm just trying to be conservative about my spending. I hate to pass up a great deal, but equally hate to get a gun I can't shoot. Thanks for your input.

Dave :confused:

sweeper22 12-16-2009 05:23 AM

Well, you're not likely to walk into your local Walmart and be able to stock up on .45gap range rounds the way you might with many other calibers. If you don't mind ordering your ammo over the phone/internet, it's easy enough to get ahold of.

FMJ will set you back about 50 cents a round online. JHP can cost nearly a buck a round. So I guess it's really just a case of investigating what you can get locally, and what you're willing to spend online. The prices seem pretty similar to ACP, just fewer flavors to choose from.

Oohrah 08-19-2010 07:36 PM

Actually it duplicates the 45 ACP in a shorter cartrige. It was necessary to use Glock's 22, 40 SW frame. About the only way they can be fired except for the pistol chambered for them is a revolver that uses metal clips. But why would you? Thought I would look at perhaps being able to fire in a Ruger Convertable. Didn't think about headspacing on the rim, so they drop right into the 45 ACP cylinder, out of reach of any firing pin by a long way!
All that self protection ammo is a buck to $1.50 a round. Two boxes of Speer Gold Dots were given to me, and I haven't checked locally who owns a pistol in this caliber. Some of the LEO departments are fickle and go for prices rather than performance. The Glock 22, 4th Generations are really an improvement for short fingered ham hands. Nothing wrong with previous ones that with enough use, the brain adjusted to the rather large hand grip.
Many of the scarce calibers are slowly returning, but I have seen some Gap ammo on occasion.

dgray64 08-20-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oohrah (Post 334721)
Actually it duplicates the 45 ACP in a shorter cartrige. It was necessary to use Glock's 22, 40 SW frame. About the only way they can be fired except for the pistol chambered for them is a revolver that uses metal clips. But why would you? Thought I would look at perhaps being able to fire in a Ruger Convertable. Didn't think about headspacing on the rim, so they drop right into the 45 ACP cylinder, out of reach of any firing pin by a long way!
All that self protection ammo is a buck to $1.50 a round. Two boxes of Speer Gold Dots were given to me, and I haven't checked locally who owns a pistol in this caliber. Some of the LEO departments are fickle and go for prices rather than performance. The Glock 22, 4th Generations are really an improvement for short fingered ham hands. Nothing wrong with previous ones that with enough use, the brain adjusted to the rather large hand grip.
Many of the scarce calibers are slowly returning, but I have seen some Gap ammo on occasion.

As far as the .40 S&W (Glock 22), I had one and traded it. It was a first generation with a big grip. I would shoot, then have to re-grip and shoot again.

I traded it for a Springfield XD40. That pistol fits your hand right out of the box and there is no adjusting your grip between shots. As far as a .40 that is fun to shoot and super accurate, I like my Taurus PT101. It's a little heavy for daily carry, but it eats any ammo you put in it and it puts the rounds where you point it. Gotta love that gun (its the same style as the Beretta 95 with the cut away slide.

Dave

Oohrah 08-20-2010 05:33 PM

Had the same promblem Dave. It was Dept. issue, and I learned to adapt to it after many rounds. However, the new Generation 4, Wallah, does work great from the box, so even a greater likeness of the Glock 22. Wouldn't ya know it, after years, they are going to Smith M&Ps in a 40 caliber!!!! I will keep the Glock, as we have become familiar with each other. I have now a couple of turn ins also, a Generation 3.5 (unfired), Generation 4, and an older sub compact Glock 27. The last one does want to travel slightly in my grip, but it seems like a modified hold tames the movement to where I just need to compensate for a slightly impact to the right. A trip to the the armorer to move the rear sight in that direction, should put the cure to it!

user4 08-20-2010 06:57 PM

In my opinion the .45 GAP is a carnival round, much like the SIG .357. I wouldn't wast my money.

Benning Boy 08-20-2010 07:30 PM

It's a good idea that didn't catch on, and given it's time in existence, probably won't.

As others said, available online, but expensive.

danf_fl 08-20-2010 07:48 PM

I always recommend that one should purchase a handgun in the caliber that would be readily available. IMO, that is 22LR, .38Spcl, .357Mag, 9mm, .40S&W, .45 ACP. If you cannot get the ammo and don't reload, congrats on your expensive paper weight.

billdeserthills 08-22-2010 07:39 PM

As a gun dealer, I will say one nice thing about the .45 Gap round is even during the ammo crisis, not one of my distributors Ever ran out of .45 Gap ammo, same thing with the 5.7x28 round...

dgray64 08-23-2010 05:03 PM

Ammo is still expensive when I can find it, so I bought some brass, bullets and dies and reloaded my own. They work really well. I use jacketed bullets so there is no problem with the rifling. It's really the most accurate Glock that I have.

Dave