.40 vs .45 - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

.40 vs .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue View Post
.40 is a yuppie round for yuppies. .45 easy choice.
So since majority LE carries 40, they are yuppies lol?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

So by the previous posts I read on the .40's
and the overwhelming majority for the .45's,
I'm incline to think that one day down the road
that particular calibre (.40) might not be made anymore.
Or will it just be debatable as with the 380's & 9mm.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #63

Not sure why you think the 40s are here today and gone tomorrow. It looks to me that they are here to stay. Just the LEO use alone kind of indicates it likely has a place to stay, and is adequate for it's intended use.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #64
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmons View Post
The .40 is an answer to the firearms and ammunition makers dreams! Other than that, bah.
You mean because "hey, a new caliber you can play with! Now go buy!"?

Organize your firearms, ammo, accessories and more!

http://MyGunDB.com -- Grab your free copy today!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #65

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
I went and shot Glock's yesterday. I'm interested in buying either a G27 or G30. I was a little rusty on semi-auto shooting. Haven't been in almost a month now. However I was able to group my .45 rounds much better than the .40 rounds. Recoil on the .45 was much less. I haven't shot .40 in a long time, I have a XD45 but I'm going to sell it.

This gun will be for conceal carry so thoughts on the variances in calibers and models would be helpful. Despite the grouping, which I'm sure with a little more practice I could accomplish with the .40 I couldn't tell much difference.
The muzzle energy on the best .40 and .45 defense loads are basically the same. The .40 gives bigger magazine capacity and (in my case) recoil that's easier to control.

Probably the biggest overall advantage of the .40 is it was easily integrated into all the popular carry/defense weapons already in use: Beretta 92, SIG 226, Browning HP, Glock, SA XD. None of those could accomodate the .45 without a total redesign or new model.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohrah View Post
Not sure why you think the 40s are here today and gone tomorrow. It looks to me that they are here to stay. Just the LEO use alone kind of indicates it likely has a place to stay, and is adequate for it's intended use.
Actions speak louder than words: the 10mm was introduced and it flopped and died out. The .40SW virtually took over all of the major LE applications. It really is a good choice because it gives very high muzzle energy while still having a large mag capacity. The volume of sales tells the story, it clearly is an answer to a whole lot of people's needs.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrage View Post
You mean because "hey, a new caliber you can play with! Now go buy!"?
NO, the .40SW is the offshoot of the 10mm which was a flop. The services believed they needed a more powerful round than 9mm, the 10mm was born and made nobody happy. The 40 has been a very successful cartridge.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
and this proves the point. you get more shots for just slightly less power with .40 vs 45.
Funny, a week ago I did my net research on that and actually found the highest muzzle energy of defense round between the two had the .40 a bit higher, but not by much. I think you can get about 550 ft-lb or better for both which is a real heavy hitter. The 40 is definitely not weak or wimpy.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #69

As to your Glock thoughts of which one is more comfortable for you. Although I get along with their 45 Auto with a slight shift in grip. I favor the .40 SW due to a smaller frame. The Generation 4 is even smaller to fit my smaller blocky hands. Jury is still out if the double recoil slide return spring, if it softens recoil or not. I just installed the originial recalled one, and really didn't feel recoil was any problem to start with. Only put out 500 rounds through it trouble free, and usually put double that amount before I carry one for serious work. I own four Model 22s, from Generation 3 to the new 4th Gen. ones. All perform flawlessly. My duty weapon is a Generation 3, Model 22. My CHL carry is the Glock 27 mostly, due to it being a little easier to conceal. Again, it depends on time of the year, and what I wear. The 27 wears the nine round magazine with a little extender pad for my pinky to hang out on. The other two load outs in a pouch are 13 rounders that go with the mid sized Model 23, but like you said, all larger capacity magazines in the same caliber, work.
One of those Glock 22s, wear a Lone Wolf barrel in 9mm, along with a handful of Glock 9mm magazines, provide pretty cheap practice ammo shooting.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #70

Default My 2 cents

Hi,

I live in Manila in the Philippines. Here our gun laws are kinda weird.

There are 2 types of license, the firearms permit (which allows you to keep a pistol/rifle/shotgun) in your home, and a Permit To Carry(PTC which allows you to carry your pistol and in some "special" cases rifle/shotgun anywhere)

It's dissimilar to the CCW in the US because you have to keep your firearm CONSPICOUS and in Plain View in a Clutch Bag or similar bag. Concealing it in a holster anywhere in your body or having it holstered in plain sight anywhere in your body is out of the question.

I own a 1911 full-size high-capacity double-stack in .40 caliber (ala Para-Ord). I carry 3 magazines with 18 .40 JHP/FMJs each.

I will not trade all those rounds for 8-12 shot .45s.

The only problem with it is the Full-Size. If I Do need to conceal it it's gonna be one heck of a problem. Therefore a 1911 whether in .40 or .45 is out of the question.

A shorter, thinner weapon like a Glock (in .40 or .45) would be my choice. However, I don't find shooting anything other than full size 1911s fun (ie. NOTHING beats the accuracy of a tuned 1911), that's the problem.

Newest Threads