.40 vs .45 - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum >

.40 vs .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1652 Times on 1086 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOwens View Post
... IMHO, the .40 offers both power and round capacity. Something that neither the 9mm or the .45 ACP can do both of that well.
I have to agree. Sure the 9mm is easy to shoot and the 45ACP is more of a shove than the sharper kick of the 40S&W but with practice it's not that big a deal.

I'm new to the caliber and to the Glock but my G22 tames the 40S&W pretty well and holds 16 rounds which is hard to beat. I'm now a fan.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #32

Liked 3419 Times on 1934 Posts
Likes Given: 2405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I don't see a problem, it's not like the earlier info is that dated. Heck a 40 S&W vs. 45 ACP argument can go on for four years anyway. Just like 40 S&W vs. 9mm!

Now necroposting in an obsolete thread or a which gun should I buy thread, yeah I can see a problem. But not the case here.
Too right, Quentin.

Telling somebody what kind of gun to buy is like telling somebody what kind of

food to eat.

IMO, it depends on whether you desire specific advantages, or
a compromise.

The .45 gives knock down power advantage.
The 9mm gives penetration and extra shot advantage.
The 40S&W is a compromise between the two.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #33

Liked 1463 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

For me it comes down to fun.

I can shoot a .45ACP or a 9MM all day and enjoy every minute of the experience.

After two or three mags of .40S&W I'm ready for happy hour!

I never get good with things I don't enjoy.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Too right, Quentin.

food to eat.

a compromise.

Again, I have to agree. The 40S&W is a great compromise round and I have moved to it for home defense. Still thinking about what to do for CCW.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOwens View Post
Have you had a chance to shoot a G27? Such a fun little gun to have and shoot. It does have some kick to it, but nothing that is uncontrollable. However, I will say that I ran 2 boxes of Bufflo Bore 180gr +P through my 27 last week at the range and it made the gun kick like a bucking bronco. Even though it was a nice powerful round, I'll probably go back to the Critical Defense loads that I had been carrying in the gun as it is a little easier, for me, to get back on target.

JOwens, I'm impressed with the G22 I bought two weeks ago so naturally am considering a smaller 40S&W for CCW. Right now I carry a Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm that has been adequate. Very reliable and accurate enough but I don't care for the heavy DAO trigger and only 12 rounds of 9mm. The G27 is about the same size so there's not much to grab on to and control 40S&W. I'm thinking of going with a G23 which should be concealable yet tame the 40S&W plus give me an extra round over the MilPro. I think the 23 would be a great gun but need to shoot one first.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks, JOwens... Yeah, I have some decisions to make. I've been a 1911 guy since I got my Colt in 1976 and it's served me well all this time. But it's a different world today and capacity does matter. I'm pretty confident in stepping down from the 45ACP to the 40S&W and can't ignore the math that the G22 gives me 16 rounds vs. eight yet weighs no more than the Colt.

I'll continue shooting 45 and 9mil but don't see that I'm losing anything going to .40 cal. for defense.

Guess an old dog can learn new tricks!

Old 05-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Les Baer... ahhhh nice, but a bone stock Colt is good enough!

And on the 100th anniversary of the 1911, what better excuse to get one!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
I went and shot Glock's yesterday. I'm interested in buying either a G27 or G30. I was a little rusty on semi-auto shooting. Haven't been in almost a month now. However I was able to group my .45 rounds much better than the .40 rounds. Recoil on the .45 was much less. I haven't shot .40 in a long time, I have a XD45 but I'm going to sell it.

This gun will be for conceal carry so thoughts on the variances in calibers and models would be helpful. Despite the grouping, which I'm sure with a little more practice I could accomplish with the .40 I couldn't tell much difference.
I had a glock 23,I shot with it a couple of times but I dont like how I perform with that pistol.I place better shots with my beretta 96 compact and with my colt commander in 45.I prefer the 45 caliber over the 40,while the 45 is slower than the 40,the 45 is bigger and produce bigger wound channel and this matter a lot in a self defense situation.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Les Baer... ahhhh nice, but a bone stock Colt is good enough!

And on the 100th anniversary of the 1911, what better excuse to get one!
Go for the 100th anniversary you earned it.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #40

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Too right, Quentin.

food to eat.

a compromise.

No disrespect mean therewolf, but no pistol bullet in existence offers "knock down power" against human targets. The fact is there is not a postol or revolver cartridge that will knock down a man. For that matter a 12 gauge slug won't either although they do have much more shocking power than a handgun bullet. It's simple physics, if a projectile being launched with enough force to knock a man down the man holding the weapon that shot it would himself be knocked down. If you're talking about knocking down bowling pins that's a different matter and I'd agree with you completely.

Having said that, I agree with you about the choice of one's defensive arms is a personal matter and there being very good reasons for choosing either the 9x19mm, .40, .45, or the .38 super, .357 sig, or the 9x23mm round. I like shooting the .45 ACP, especially the 1911 and own one, I also enjoy shooting the 9mm and shoot my wife's some. I also like shooting my Glock .40s. Unlike some who've posted here I don't find it "hard" or "unpleasant" to shoot and have spent 2-3 hours shooting both .40 pistols (after I've reloaded 500-1000 rounds).

As for the 9mm offering better penetration than the .40 or .45, don't bet on it. A great deal has to do with the media being shot into, i.e. barriers such as heavy clothing, plywood, sheet metal, windshield glass, etc. BEFORE reaching the soft tissue of your intended target in a defensive shooting.
The ammunition type also plays a role, i.e. a bonded JHP will penetrate deeper in soft tissue and go through more barriers than will conventional JHPs or even FMJ Ball. The F.B.I. and independent testing conducted by the major ammunition manufacturers have proven this, as have hundreds of OIS shootings over the past decade.

The .45 offers a larger wound cavity than will a .40, a .40 creates a larger wound cavity than a 9mm will, as Dr. Martin Flackler, a forensics expert specializing in gun shot wound ballistics wrote, "Big bullets make big holes letting out lots of blood and letting in lots of air." So you're right in saying that a .40 is a compromise between the 9mm and .45 in that it offers a larger magazine capacity that the .45 and a larger bore than the 9mm and fall in between them in wound effectiveness.

If an individual can shoot and hit better with a 9mm then by all means that's what they need to carry, the same thing goes for the .45. For some of us, the choice has been made for us, military and law enforcement personnel have to carry what's issued or approved for them to carry, including ammunition in many cases.

Newest Threads