.40 vs .45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > .40 vs .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 699 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Default .40 vs .45

I went and shot Glock's yesterday. I'm interested in buying either a G27 or G30. I was a little rusty on semi-auto shooting. Haven't been in almost a month now. However I was able to group my .45 rounds much better than the .40 rounds. Recoil on the .45 was much less. I haven't shot .40 in a long time, I have a XD45 but I'm going to sell it.

This gun will be for conceal carry so thoughts on the variances in calibers and models would be helpful. Despite the grouping, which I'm sure with a little more practice I could accomplish with the .40 I couldn't tell much difference.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 40 Vs 45acp

Notdku

I've always been of the mind that if I had a 45ACP,. I really had no Need for 40? I'm not the biggest fan of the Glock? I've always felt when it was fully loaded, it felt fine, when It was empty, it feels like a cap gun? I've no issue with how well they work, how good the sites are and how well theyn function! I just can't get past the "Feel"? I've never had a Glock in 40, I've had a few in 9MM a 17 and a 19, both worked well, but soon found themselves in my sell or trade pile?

For you, it has to be, try what works, go with that? That seems to be the best for all of us? What works for you, feels wrong to me? Thats great about America, you have your Glock and I can Have my BHP or 1911? LOL We get to pick what we feel best with?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

The .40 is a snappy round so its not suprising you grouped better with the .45acp. I sold my .40 Glock 22 some time ago because I just didnt enjoy shooting it. My only two Glocks now are a 21, and a 19 and I couldnt be happier with them. I had a 30 (compact .45) I carried when I lived in a CCW frindly state, I since sold it since I no longer have any use for compacts. It was a great gun however and would be a good choice. Glocks grip angle......well ugh love it or leave it is what it boils down to. I have big hands so they work just fine for me.

The gun in question just before I sold it. Like I said it was a good piece I just no longer had any need for a compact (Illinois, and no CCW allowed you know )

Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #4

Default I have to agree

The .40 is just not worth it, to me. The .45 is bigger, recoil is almost identical and I have LOTS of .45 bullets, accessories and cleaning supplies. I just don't see the need - I can shoot 9mm +P's or just stick to the .45. The .40 is an answer to the firearms and ammunition makers dreams! Other than that, bah.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #5

Default Addendum:

Real world shootings indicate that the .40 does NOT equal the .45 in stopping power, although it ranks above a standard 9 mm round.

So, again, what need is there for the .40?

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
So, again, what need is there for the .40?
I agree go with 10mm

In my opinion there are quite a few calibers out there that are rather pointless. For example I give you the folowing.

.357sig - 9mm+P is practicaly the same thing, with cheaper plinking/practice ammo.

.40S&W - This round was the answer to a problem that didn't exist IMO. Good old .45auto, or 10mm will do the task better. Heck even modern 9mm JHP loads perform as well.

.45 GAP - Ugh don't get me started on this one. The idea was to make a more compact .45, and I don't see how it suceeded in doing so. The round is just a little shorter, but it still makes for a large grip in double stack pistols.

Any pocket pistol caliber other than .380acp is pointless. There really is no need for .25auto, or .32acp today. They are two ineffective rounds, that can be replaced by the .380 in a package that is just as small.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #7

I tihnk the reason you did better with the .45 than the .40 is because of the gun. There is a lot more to hold on to with the g30 than the g27.

Why you getting rid of the xd-45? I have an xd-45 compact and that has become my new carry gun replacing my g19 and g26. I love the way my xd shoots.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Although I'm a devout .45 guy, I like the Glock 27 for concealed carry. It is very small, yet holds 10 rounds of an effective cartridge. Accuracy is good, although that is not a very important consideration in a compact carry pistol. Yes, the recoil is "snappy". I would not let that sway me however, because it is a relative non-issue. A compact, defensive concealment pistol needs to be small enough to conceal, be chambered in an effective cartridge (9mm and up), and most important be extremely reliable! We're not gonna shoot competitions, so accuracy is NOT important for a conceal carry pistol. Actual engagements would most always occur at ranges under 15', and pretty much any gun will hit accurate enough at that distance. Also make sure you carry a quality defensive round in it. Hardball, while reliable, is too prone to ineffective wounding and overpenetration. Don't use it.

Donnie

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手

Old 07-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #9

It comes down to which firearm and caliber works for you. There are many diferent opinions as calibers and firearms.

MY DOG IS SMARTER THAN MOST POLITICIANS

Old 09-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #10

Default .45 For this County Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
I went and shot Glock's yesterday. I'm interested in buying either a G27 or G30. I was a little rusty on semi-auto shooting. Haven't been in almost a month now. However I was able to group my .45 rounds much better than the .40 rounds. Recoil on the .45 was much less. I haven't shot .40 in a long time, I have a XD45 but I'm going to sell it.

This gun will be for conceal carry so thoughts on the variances in calibers and models would be helpful. Despite the grouping, which I'm sure with a little more practice I could accomplish with the .40 I couldn't tell much difference.
As a Sheriff's Deputy, I carry a Glock model 21 (full sized .45 ACP) and I must agree that a .45 round does have less recoil than a .40. Which to a naked shooter doesn't make since because a .45 round is much larger. The .45 does have a kick, but it is much easier to control than the "snappy" recoil of the .40. For concealment, the 21 is very large so I would def go with the model 30. But like anything, go with what your comfortable with. Just because I've used the .45 on duty and trust it with my life doesn't mean it will be right for you. You must have confidence in both your shooting ability and the caliber you shoot with.