.40 to .357 sig
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > .40 to .357 sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .40 to .357 sig

Has anyone converted there .40 to shoot .357 sig rounds?
I have the S&W M&P .40, and there is a kit made to shoot .357 sig rounds.
I interested how this rounds is, and if it is worth it or not....
any feedback would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Has anyone converted there .40 to shoot .357 sig rounds?
I have the S&W M&P .40, and there is a kit made to shoot .357 sig rounds.
I interested how this rounds is, and if it is worth it or not....
any feedback would be appreciated.
I started converting from the .40 S&W to the 357 sig, & Vice Versa, in 1999, with the Sig Sauer P-239, The P-229, the P-226, and the Sig Sauer P-229 Sport Pistols.

The 357 sig cartridge displays a flatter trajectory than the .40 S&W, with a smaller diameter bullet of .355, rather than .357. If you have every fired a 125 gr. bullet from a heavy frame .357 magnum revolver, you will know what to expect from the 357 sig. The bottle necked case of the 357 sig feeds very smooth and fast. The sound report of the 357 sig is much like that of a four inch Colt Python, shooting 125 gr. factory loaded FMJ magnums. The muzzle flip isn't much more noticeable than that of a 38 Super in a similar pistol. I do shoot the 38 Super in the Sig Sauer P-220, and it feels much the same as the 357 sig in my P-226.

Most people who has bought into the conversions do not regret it, Myself being one.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh Yeah, SamHain; I do buy the georgia arms ammo for the 357 sig; I have used many others but georgia arms is far more affordable to shoot.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks again, as soon as I find the conversion I think I'll pick it up

Old 03-12-2008, 05:29 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Coming back at you with another thought. The Georgia Arms loaded 357 sig, in their Gold Dot Bullet and Starline Case is one of the best, at 1400 fps.

Shop around; On the Sigs, I've often found factory barrels for $100. Most of my Pistols use the same magazines for the .40 and 357 sig, with the exception of the single stacking P-239.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Not all .357 sig ammo is created the same. Speer makes two different 125 gr HP's. One has a shallow hollow point similar to the .357 mag GD's. The other is a deeper HP that looks more like a conventional 9mm bullet. The shallow version was the original one developed for the Texas DPS. They want a load that will penetrate cars. It does so very well. It does not expand well in flesh. It acts more like a FMJ. The deeper bullet expands very well in flesh but does not do as well through cars. If you do not plan on shooting through cars get the deeper HP.

The Sig round is compared to the .357 mag but there is no real comparison. The .357 mag is far superior to the Sig in gun fights, IMHO. I think the reason revolver rounds stop people better is the bullet profile. Feeding is not an issue with the revolver. The mags tend to have more blunt noses that expand more reliably than autos. Auto pistol rounds have to feed into the chamber reliably and that makes for a more rounded profile that does not react as well in flesh.

This is, of course, my opinion. An opinion based on 30+ years studying ballistics and 24 years in LE. Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you RoboCop....
I don't plan on shooting any cars or flesh...just paper, plinkers, old bowling pins, and what not.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The Sig round is compared to the .357 mag but there is no real comparison. The .357 mag is far superior to the Sig in gun fights, IMHO. I think the reason revolver rounds stop people better is the bullet profile. Feeding is not an issue with the revolver. The mags tend to have more blunt noses that expand more reliably than autos. Auto pistol rounds have to feed into the chamber reliably and that makes for a more rounded profile that does not react as well in flesh.

This is, of course, my opinion. An opinion based on 30+ years studying ballistics and 24 years in LE. Your mileage may vary.
WOW; I didn't know the 357 sig has been around that long; Just shows what I know.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The other is a deeper HP that looks more like a conventional 9mm bullet.
Robocop; The 357 sig IS a 9mm bullet. You kept referring to it as .357 sig, where I referred to it as 357 sig; It is actually a .355 caliber bullet. I think I mentioned this in my initial response.Notice now why I did not place a decimal point in front of the 357 sig. The 125 gr. 357 sig and the 125 gr. .357 magnum share the same velocities in most standard factory loads. I'm not trying to bust your chops on this; so don't fly over the top about it. I've been on the 357 sig for a while now, almost since it's introduction.

Quote:
I started converting from the .40 S&W to the 357 sig, & Vice Versa, in 1999, with the Sig Sauer P-239, The P-229, the P-226, and the Sig Sauer P-229 Sport Pistols.

The 357 sig cartridge displays a flatter trajectory than the .40 S&W, with a smaller diameter bullet of .355, rather than .357. If you have every fired a 125 gr. bullet from a heavy frame .357 magnum revolver, you will know what to expect from the 357 sig. The bottle necked case of the 357 sig feeds very smooth and fast. The sound report of the 357 sig is much like that of a four inch Colt Python, shooting 125 gr. factory loaded FMJ magnums. The muzzle flip isn't much more noticeable than that of a 38 Super in a similar pistol. I do shoot the 38 Super in the Sig Sauer P-220, and it feels much the same as the 357 sig in my P-226.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Very true the 357 sig is a .355 (9mm). On paper the Sig and the Mag look the same. The reality is different though. .002 diameter difference (actually .003 as the .357 mag uses .358 bullets) is not the issue. I believe it is bullet profile. A rounded nose S/A pistol bullet does not act the same as the more blunt profile of the revolver bullet. Texas DPS bought into the hype of the Sig round very early. I have heard their people rever to it as a semi-auto .357 magnum. It is not. It was not coincidence that Sig named it 357. It was marketing. You could have called it a 9mm magnum and hve been closer to the truth. He!!, the term magnum is marketing hype. If you like the Sig, go for it! Most foldks would be better off with a 9mm and a couple of cases of ammo. Practice, practice, practice. chew out the center of a target. Attend a good class or three that teaches sound tactics. One good hit is far better than spray and pray.