3rd gen or 4th gen
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock Forum > 3rd gen or 4th gen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 3rd gen or 4th gen

After a lot of reading and going to my local gun shop I've narrowed my selection down to a G23. I originally planned on a G27 but the 23 just felt better in my hand even over the M&P .40. I plan on using it for carry and shooting it a lot. After doing some reading on the net I've read several owners have had problems with their 4th generation Glocks. Should I consider getting a third generation instead or are people just focusing on a small percentage of these weapons?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #2

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Welcome to ftf to answer your questain, I would say go with the gen 4. It has better features than the previous model and pretty much has all the kinks worked out. That being said make sure you call glock and get the new recoil spring assembly.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #3

Thank you. I really like that gun. It will be my first fire arm.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #4

Likes Given: 1

I own a gen 3 in the 23 and gen 4 in the 27. Granted the two are different sizes, I really can tell much of a difference between them. They're Glocks, same reliability, durability, and simplicity. I have found that there aren't as many after market parts right now for the gen 4, but im sure that's comming soon. The recoil spring is a good suggestion. I have a Tungsten in my 23 and it makes a huge difference in my grouping. Have fun!

Old 11-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #5

Welcome mustang boss. I own a gen3 g23. I too bought this firearm for the same exact reason as you. The gen4 version has alot of upcoming problems with the spring, the slide to frame misplacement, all kinds of other shinanigans. Alphavictor, the buddy that suggested the gen4 to you, he just recently had a problem with his gen4 and now his slide is stuck to his frame and cannot disengage it off the frame lol. Check his new post, ull see the terrifying pictures. Gen3 is very reliable and does not seem to have any negative feed from owners. Also gaston glock did not
Want to share some of his invented blueprint with the gen 3 glocks with the new co owners of the gen4 makers. That
Is the problem with gen4. Crap just keeps happening.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #6

That's the exact kind of thing I'm worried about. Did Glock really change hands? That would be another reason to buy a 3rd generation.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #7

Okay, after reading on it I'm assuming that the hole Glock company being sold is a hoax.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #8

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

As far as Gen3 vs. Gen4, I'd say handle them both side by side and choose the one you like best. I was able to do that earlier this year and liked the feel of the 23Gen4 better so bought it. I'm glad I did and haven't had a single problem so can't say what's happening to others who do have complaints. Remember a lot of the negative reports are rehashed internet stories plus you always hear more horror stories than praise, that's just the nature of the beast on the net. From what I've seen most of the complaints were with the 19Gen4 and not so many with the 23Gen4.

Anyway, when's the last time you bought any product that didn't have negative reviews? So go with the one you like best. I bet you'll love either generation.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #9

I agree with Quentin. And yes glock being sold is a hoax, but they did share the company with a co owner and did not fully share the 3rd gen model. U can't tell from the naked eye but gaston glock apparently did not want to sell his research on the full creativity. So gen for had alot of issues with the springs and slide to frame. I went with the gen3 after my own research and it felt good in my hand. Quentin is absolutely correct though, any product had negative reviews, it's what you feel u like best. So far my brand new gen3 g23 is like a glove! Also I wasn't able to try out the gen4 because it's not legal in California. I just did a crap load of comparison and reading.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #10

Yeah, I guess no mater the product there are some issues. Those issues tend to be what you hear about whether it's people complaining about it or people looking for answers on how the resolve the problem. Guess it comes down to what feels the best like everything else. Thanks for the input. Either way it's a Glock so I should be able to post a good report when I finally get my new gun.