Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Glock Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   3.5 pound trigger questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/3-5-pound-trigger-questions-34476/)

indyfan 11-17-2010 02:58 AM

3.5 pound trigger questions

I'm thinking of getting a 3.5 pound trigger installed on my G19

I've dry fired a G23 with the 3.5 pound trigger and it's pretty damn smooth, but my only worry now is accidental discharges. Will changing to this lighter trigger raise the chances for accidental discharge? Anyone got any experience with the 3.5 trigger?

I feel pretty shameful asking this question and questioning Glocks safety.

Also, when I get this trigger job done, does that void the Glock Warranty?

DrumJunkie 11-17-2010 04:02 AM

If you practice safe handling then it shouldn't be an issue. And even with the lower pull you will still have the same travel of the trigger. Just keep your finger out of there until you are ready to put a hole in whatever you are pointed at and you will be fine.:)

utf59 11-17-2010 02:57 PM

I have a 3.5-lb. trigger connector on my Glock 30, and I love it. My shots break much more cleanly with it.

To change the trigger weight, you just have to swap out one little part:

No trigger job required.

Neophyte1 11-17-2010 03:18 PM

Glock connector

Sir; two of my daily type carries; have the 3.5 connector spring deal.
Do I feel I have created an unsafe situation.

not at all; "DrumJunkie"; said it best.

polishing the connector; cleaning all sharp edges; will inprove the motion
I too changed the trigger; now with an overtravel. seems to work better for me.

jeepcreep927 11-17-2010 03:32 PM

The only thing that makes a gun dangerous is a loose nut on the trigger...

But the warranty will likely be voided (and by likely, I mean definitely).

Infidel 12-03-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfan (Post 387896)
I'm thinking of getting a 3.5 pound trigger installed on my G19

I've dry fired a G23 with the 3.5 pound trigger and it's pretty damn smooth, but my only worry now is accidental discharges. Will changing to this lighter trigger raise the chances for accidental discharge? Anyone got any experience with the 3.5 trigger?

I feel pretty shameful asking this question and questioning Glocks safety.

Also, when I get this trigger job done, does that void the Glock Warranty?

KEEP THE BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH

If you observe that rule with ANY firearm until you are ready to fire, you will never have a negligent discharge. I don't believe there is such a thing as an accidental discharge...any time a gun in your hand goes bang, it is because YOU did something to make it go bang. Whether or not it went bang in a safe direction or hit the intended target is likewise YOUR responsibility.

Look at it this way...if you lay your Glock (or any pistol) on your kitchen table, aim a video camera at it, and let it sit. No matter how long it sits there it will never jump up and start spitting out bullets all by itself.

My comp Glock 17 has the 3.5 Ghost Rocket connector in it. The trigger gauge measures the true trigger pull at 2.78lbs. I have been shooting this Glock 17 in steel matches for over 3 years with the Ghost Rocket in it, prior to that it had the Glock 3.5 connector in it. Shooting, moving, stages starting from the draw...it doesn't matter. I have yet to have a negligent discharge.

I don't mean to sound preachy, please don't take it that way...I have been a trainer for too many years and this is the one thing I always try to make gospel to my students.

Just remember that one rule, and you could literally have a totally safe 1 pound trigger. Some of the Open Class shooters have triggers that break under a pound and they don't put holes where they don't want them. It is a function of the shooter, not the gun's trigger.

Now that that's out of the way...I don't reccomend a 3.5 trigger on a carry gun UNTIL you are totally used to it and have experience with it. You CAN, and I have seen this happen, double tap when you are only trying to shoot singles until you "know" that trigger. The reset is shorter, and if you have a tendency to bounce your finger off the trigger and slap it for the next shot, you will often double tap. That is likewise a finction of the shooter and poor technique. Remember to ride the trigger forward to the reset, then press the next shot. If you are not going to take another shot...remove your finger as soon as the trigger resets...it keeps you in the habit of resetting the trigger.

Have fun, and for goodness sakes...KEEP SHOOTING!

indyfan 12-03-2010 04:39 PM

I finally got the 3.5 trigger. I have yet to take it to the range. When I do, I will post a range report afterwards comparing the difference in grouping that I had shot with my factory Glock trigger.

Should be interesting.

afi1 12-03-2010 05:12 PM

I run a Lone Wolf 3.5lb. connector and olive NY trigger in all my Glocks. It's the only way to go IMO.

Logan2302 12-04-2010 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel (Post 396424)
I don't believe there is such a thing as an accidental discharge...any time a gun in your hand goes bang, it is because YOU did something ....

Sorry, there are accidental discharges. I've had them happen in rifles and shotguns. (Never a Glock though.). Most of them were mechanical failures, but still accidental.

Haven't you ever heard of a "Remington moment"?

afi1 12-04-2010 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan2302 (Post 396858)
Sorry, there are accidental discharges. I've had them happen in rifles and shotguns. (Never a Glock though.). Most of them were mechanical failures, but still accidental.

Haven't you ever heard of a "Remington moment"?

True. I've seen it happen on 700s, and a handful of SKS rifles. An AR can do it if the bolt is locked to the rear and it's slammed on it's stock.