Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Are you really ready for an armed encounter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I guess i will join in this pissing contest . I have been shot at returned fire blew up seven times spent many years deployed to foreign countries . I think I can hold my own when it comes to carring a handgun . My question is am I fully qualified to do so, I sure hope I am.I am retired from the army now and would like to think i can still do the tactical stuff he talks of but I know i am older . I like to shoot IDPA with my son he likes to play airsoft with his friends . I place no value on this type of game at all they run through the woods shooting at each other with fully automatic toys.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't see this as a pissing contest.

I'm just sayin'.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #23

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I did not get a chance to read all the replies just the post so my apologies if this ground has been covered.

Some of us will be lucky enough to never encounter a situation where our loved ones or our own person is in a life threatening situation. However there may be a time when the unthinkable becomes our reality. Despite the hours of training on the gun range, instruction from firearms professionals, etc. we may never be fully be mentally prepared for the real deal.

Case in point.......
Besides my enjoyment of firearms I also enjoy archery. I have seen the best shots in the world fall apart under a real hunting scenario with the animal close, the terrain unfamiliar and the weather changing. These guys could hit a dime from 100 yards upsidedown, but have trouble with a 300lb. bear 10 yards away. Just like in the military no amount of training can prepare you for how you will react when your buddy gets shot right next to you or the Hummer in front of you gets blown away in seconds. There is no traininng for that.

I practice as much as I can on the gun range so I am familiar with my firearm. I mentally go through the paces of what I will do should an assault occur, but I have no idea what I will do under that life threatening stress.

I carry as an insurance policy. Another tool in my protection toolbox that hopefully will only see paper targets. The carry classes are excellent and ask some pretty tough questions that make you wonder if this is really what you want to do. Could the classes improve.....sure.....all training can improve, but its a well done class with former military and police instructors. Given the extreamly low instance of the average Joe needing to use his/her CC weapon I say we are doing just fine.