Are you really ready for an armed encounter? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Are you really ready for an armed encounter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm curious. How often, if at all, will/does the mere presence of a firearm dissuade an attacker who may or may not be carrying as well?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #12

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

training is good for some people, but my aunt who is pushing her late sixty's is carrying a concealed weapon as i type this. and has been for over twenty years shes not about too go out and jump around and shoot bb's at her friends but she does go to the range and shoots and still hitting target pretty descent.so i hope they dont they tighten up the shooting qualifications any more then they have too.because in a lot of cases good people who cant do fast draws and two person shoot out scenarios because of age or health might be left unarmed completely.its already hard enough here in california so in my opinion no more regulations please.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #13

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

I would imagine that a lady in her sixties suddenly pulling a gun and shooting would have a huge surprise advantage. She would go from looking like easy prey to suddenly turning into a very scary proposition! If she knows how to draw and fire she is probably way ahead of half of the people who carry.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:17 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm sixty years old and I ain't Rambo, but I am a vet and have proven hard to kill. I may wind up dead because I can't do all that ninja/tactical stuff. Then again, I may just shoot some zombie dead where they stand.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm sixty years old and I ain't Rambo, but I am a vet and have proven hard to kill. I may wind up dead because I can't do all that ninja/tactical stuff. Then again, I may just shoot some zombie dead where they stand.
I have a feeling that even though you are not tacticool you could eff some bad guys up just by knowing how to keep your cool. Since you're a vet, that comes naturally and I wouldn't want to be that zombie in your sights. Personally, I prefer to knock the zombies out with the car door as I drive by, but that's just me.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #16

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm thinking I decided to start carrying because I am not a ninja. But I shoot and reload enough that I should probably be a partner at Hodgden by now!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I am not a combat vet and don't mean to give that impression. I am just a vet. However, I have had some close encounters with firearms in my life.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #18

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There is nothing more intimidating than having a gun pointed at you. And if the individual expresses the ability to handle that weapon, it is even more intimidating.

"Do ya feel lucky punk......Well, do ya!!"

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm too old, fat, and stoged up to go jumping around shooting at people with plastic BBs but I'm confident I could handle myself in a "situation"-in fact I have in the past.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm finding that one of the benefits of growing older is having gained real world experience in various areas.