Worth Seeing Again - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Worth Seeing Again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
I did a ton of the malfunction drills in the academy and constantly practice them. My instructors always stressed Tap,Rack and Ready instead of Bang as additional shots are not always necessary and automatically firing again after clearing a malfunction should not be a muscle memory.
I was unable to see the video above as it says the account was suspended.
I can't stress enough how important practice and muscle memory is!
I must take exception to your Tap, Rack and Ready.

If I am tossing lead and encounter a malfunction, I want my muscle memory to transition me back into the engagement, NOT to a ready condition. That heartbeat required to go from ready to engagement may be your last.

Just my

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #12

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

That is the dice you roll. If your muscle memory leads you to fire after clearing a malfunction when you didn't need to because the threat has ended, a world of trouble will most likely follow. Tap, Rack, and be ready to fire is critical.
Ever seen the news report on the martial artist who practiced weekly on how to disarm an attacker? He had to apply that skill one day and his muscle memory worked perfectly. Right up to the point where he handed the pistol right back to the attacker just like he had always done in practice.
Obviously you can train any way you like but I will teach and practice keeping ones eyes on the threat and be ready to re-engage after clearing the weapon but never practice always firing once cleared. If I train alone, I visualize to decide when or if I will continue to fire. If I train with others, someone will call it out.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8278 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10706

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
Ever seen the news report on the martial artist who practiced weekly on how to disarm an attacker? He had to apply that skill one day and his muscle memory worked perfectly. Right up to the point where he handed the pistol right back to the attacker just like he had always done in practice.
I have not seen that video. Please provide it.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #14

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I just got the email back from my former instructor. He only has the clip on VHS. I did a google search for it but the MMA fighter story keeps popping up.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you very much for posting the vid!! perfect example of how 6 minutes could save your life. will have to check out clint's other videos.

Beretta Neos .22lr, SA XDm .45, Colt Cobra .38 Special, Remington 1100 12 guage, Browning Citori 20 guage, New England Firearms 20 guage...

Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson