woman shooter ,first time out , suggestions for what I have
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > woman shooter ,first time out , suggestions for what I have

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default woman shooter ,first time out , suggestions for what I have

Im in the process of getting my wife trained to shoot a weapon and in our 10 yrs of marriage she has never once asked or even wanted to pull the trigger on any weapon when asked until about 2 weeks ago after taking some hand to hand classes as she just took a new teacher job and has to deal with kids from age 4 to 17 every day , This was a requirement for the job . So this was quite the surprise for me that she has asked me to teach her to shoot a gun , She has her FOID card that I made her get 3 yrs ago uncase anything ever happens to me then she can legally do what she needs with my guns .
I can handle her wants in the rifle shotgun range because I have everything from .22-30.06 and 410 and 12 ga. however the only pistols I have are a .40 and 9mm . The 9mm is a LC9 so its really small and has alot of recoil because its so short , I dont want to scare her with the first pull of the trigger and honestly I think my .40 has less recoil than the 9mm . I dont have any buddies that can help me out with a .22 pistol either most of them are in the same situation as what I already have .
Any suggestions? I really cannot afford to go and buy a .22 cal handgun right now either
Scott

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #2

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Start her on the .22 rifle and then go to a range that has rental guns and rent her a .22 pistol.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2266 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 668

Very good advice JD.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I second the 22 rifle. For the pistol, I taught my wife on a 6" S&W 19 shooting 38s. Recoil is mild and she was able to control the weapon well while being able to hit her target. If you wife isn't having fun/being successful, she will lose interest fast.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-21-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I second the 22 rifle. For the pistol, I taught my wife on a 6" S&W 19 shooting 38s. Recoil is mild and she was able to control the weapon well while being able to hit her target. If you wife isn't having fun/being successful, she will lose interest fast.
+1

Safety basics, parts of the gun, how to load, unload, check chambers etc.

Go slow and have fun. DO NOT throw her on heavy stuff until SHES ready.

If you do it right shes gonna put you to shame in a 6 months to a year...guard your pride!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #6

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I agree with all the posters above.

Start with the 22LR rifle.

Rent a 22LR pistol if you have to.

Safety and basics with these, then rent up

in caliber as she feels ready.

Personally, I'd hold off on the 30.06 and 12 gauge, until she's a

lot more experienced, but if she wants to try the 410, be sure

to advise her about the recoil.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ya that 410 grain shotgun pistol is good i like the tarus judge the best thing to have is a revolver shotgun because its small and does damge its good for protection if u get car jacked because u can pull it out without really aiming

Look at that newer keltec shotgun its a great bullpup design so less muzzle rise and it has a bottom and upper rail one for sight and the other for grip and i would use a laser

Keltec makes a 30 round 22magnum pistol
I havent done much reaserch but 22 is kinda weak but with 30 rounds u shouldnt have to worry about dropin the enemy

Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7631 Times on 4587 Posts
Likes Given: 9518

I am female and fairly new to the hobby of target shooting.

I prefer handguns to rifles simply because I have yet to find a rifle that 'fits' me. I'm short and most rifle stocks are too long for me to shoot a rifle comfortably or accurately.

What I always appreciate when out shooting with someone who may have a gun I'd like to shoot is I ask them to shoot it first so I can see what the recoil looks like and the sound, etc. That way when I shoot it I am not unpleasantly surprised.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #9

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Thank you very much, its put in a different perspective from a woman and I'm glad u replied . My intention is to let her shoot and .22 rifle first then to the .410 but of which are pretty small then to the 12 ga. My wife is 5'10 so fitting isn't going to be to bad. Were rural so renting a gun locally isn't going to be easy and the closest range is about 30 miles which isn't a big deal . No intentions of the 30.06 but if she wanted to get to that point I would gladly let her . Safety is first were already working on that . Proper loading , unloading, reloading the mag. Safety if it has one and how to chamber the load and how to unchamber a round if unloading . She knows this and I stressed it a lot remember its a loaded weapon treat it the same even if its unloaded and a safety can fail so keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire the round . I do the same thing with both my kids . Forgot about cleaning it so that's another one to work on
Thanks everyone for your advise I appreciate it greatly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I am female and fairly new to the hobby of target shooting.

I prefer handguns to rifles simply because I have yet to find a rifle that 'fits' me. I'm short and most rifle stocks are too long for me to shoot a rifle comfortably or accurately.

What I always appreciate when out shooting with someone who may have a gun I'd like to shoot is I ask them to shoot it first so I can see what the recoil looks like and the sound, etc. That way when I shoot it I am not unpleasantly surprised.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #10

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Since your out on the country, I figure you have some land to set up targets and such (or access to an area). Set up some cans, old milk jugs etc, paper is fun for us to shoot, but for a newbie it can get boring. The instant feedback of can is a lot of fun for a new shooter.