why you should always treat a gun as if it was loaded - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > why you should always treat a gun as if it was loaded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

We all have brain farts from time to time luckily 99.9% of the time they aren't fatal.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #12

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

That's a terrible story. I feel so bad for his friends and family.

I have a shotgun that only holds 3 rounds with the plug in (I always keep the plug in). I always pump it 6 times before I clean it. It can only hold 4 rounds with the plug out.

Maybe just my own quirk. I have however had a round come out on the 1st pump once. I'm still puzzled as to how it got there.

-Matt

Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #13

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I have a hard time feeling sorry for this person. Even if you haven't received any training, it's jut common sense to not point a gun at yourself and pull the trigger.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I have a hard time feeling sorry for this person. Even if you haven't received any training, it's jut common sense to not point a gun at yourself and pull the trigger.
sad thing is many are lacking in that area, common sense. my father always said to my brother and i when we were younger, losing respect for something that ccan hurt or kill you is asking for bad things to happen to you. i have held onto that bit of advice for many years now.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 AM   #15

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Exactly.

Sort of like passing while going up a hill on a blind turn. Stupidity can easily be cured. We just need to get rid of warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Exactly.

Sort of like passing while going up a hill on a blind turn. Stupidity can easily be cured. We just need to get rid of warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
kind of funny, that when people had common sense, we didn't need all those warning labels!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was taught that every gun is loaded. I always check my guns when I pick one up to make sure that it is not loaded even though I know that it is not. It was the way that I was taught. I also always when I hand a gun to someone I always hand it to them in a way that they can see that it is not loaded. I've even had gun shop owners look suprised at me when I had them a gun opened. When they ask me why. I tell them that it was the way that I was taught. And some have told me that they wished that more were taught that way. I stongly belive in gun safety and that if you own a gun that you should know how to use it safely and maintain it.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I was taught to treat every gun as if it were loaded, even my little "pop" gun I had when I was about 5 years old. My brother and I were never allowed to point them at each other or play cowboys and indians with them. Additionally, I was taught to keep my finger off the trigger until I was ready to fire and to make sure of my target and what is behind my target. I've had one close call where I thought the gun was empty but thanks to my brother catching my mistake I didn't squeeze the trigger. Even then, the gun was pointed in a safe direction.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #19

Liked 1487 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Lack of respect for a firearm will, sooner or later, bite you in the butt. (or in the head)

It is so simple to handle a gun in a manner that will not damage property or people, but there are always some that are too smart, or too tough to follow the rules. The graveyards are full of them and their victims.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Over confidence combined with stupidity can be lethal, as this case proves!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!