Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   why you should always treat a gun as if it was loaded (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/why-you-should-always-treat-gun-if-loaded-72501/)

megamike 09-16-2012 01:03 AM

why you should always treat a gun as if it was loaded

A Connecticut community is mourning the accidental shooting death of a 22-year-old former West Point football player, whose life story, friends say, was extraordinary.

Marcus Dixon was once a homeless young teenager who made a "180-degree turn" when a family in Stamford, Conn., adopted him at age 17, the Connecticut Post reported. He went on to become the football captain at Stamford High School -- where he graduated from in 2009 -- before making it to West Point.

Dixon died shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday when he accidentally shot himself in the head with his .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol, according to local reports. Dixon was showing his gun to two friends at an apartment in Stamford at the time of the incident. He had removed the magazine from the pistol and, thinking it was empty, tried to show the gun was safe by pointing it toward his head and pulling the trigger, the newspaper reported. One round was hidden in the gun's chamber.

KG7IL 09-16-2012 01:07 AM

Why is it that so many choose to show how safe they are by shooting themselves in the head.

I just don't get it.

Dillinger 09-16-2012 01:13 AM

Another sad story - and of course condolences go out to both his biological and adopted families.

EDIT: Disregard, I read it wrong.

JD

Kdub 09-16-2012 01:19 AM

When I was little I watched my dad strip down and clean one of his shotguns. After reassembling it I ask him if it was unloaded. He said yes, which we both clearly knew as everything had just been a big pile of parts. I said would you be willing you put it to your head and pull the trigger. He said "no I'm never that positive." Good lesson.

ellis36 09-16-2012 03:39 PM

My dad taught me from the beginning that if you can't see in the chamber…the gun is loaded. He taught me to check the operation of the safety periodically by gently pulling the trigger with the barrel pointed to the ground..and to never trust the safety. He taught me that all guns are loaded all the time and to treat them accordingly. Certain of my guns are loaded all the time. I check the position of the safety every time I pick them up and handle them as if the safety were off. These are just my rules.
And through life so far I've managed not to shoot myself or anyone else with a gun, 'unloaded' or not.

MarkAD 09-23-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

One round was hidden in the gun's chamber
I have no sympathy for total stupidy.

ElGuapo 09-29-2012 02:14 AM

Stupidy, huh?

danf_fl 09-29-2012 08:48 AM

The incident reeks of lack of training received by the deceased.

Just being taught the 4 rules could have helped.

WebleyFosbery38 09-29-2012 09:32 AM

A real gun is always loaded! The only time in my life that I ever pointed a real gun at a human was in the military because that was my job. Even then, we knew what was the likely next occurrence if we touched that trigger, boom, dead! Interesting that even when a bunch of my soldiers were sitting in a group cleaning weapons, nobody ever strayed from that rule (or else)!

I have had more than one occasion as a young hunter when that rule saved lives. When I was about 12, me and my Brother in law were bird hunting one icy cold, damp fall morning and I drew my trusty old Wards Western 12 Ga up to pop a Ruffed Grouse, I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I started to lower the weapon to clear it and loosened my grip and just as the stock passed my midriff, the thing went off, boom! It jerked out of my hands and went flying behind me 4' landing 2' from my BIL Because I had kept the thing pointed in the direction I had meant to fire, the shot went through the trees harmlessly and my BIL only smacked me in the head afterwards instead of dragging a bloody body out of the woods. Lessons learned, Clean Lubricate and preserve, that way, Ice crystals wont stop me from getting a delicious bird! Luckily, I had already learned the first lesson, never point a weapon at anything you wouldn't kill!

Im very sorry to hear the former Cadet spent more time learning his FB plays than on the firing range (Ive fired on West Points Range many times, never saw anyone there pointing a weapon at themselves or anyone else!

partdeux 09-30-2012 10:43 PM

I learned the lesson at a very young age. Watched my MARINE cousin pick up the air pistol laying on the speaker, point it at the ceiling and as he said, is this loaded, pulled the trigger. I thought dad was going to strip him limb from limb for that stunt. Air pistol was used to "sting" dogs that were allowed to run loose in the neighborhood.