Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Why the us military forces don't know how to use other countries weapons???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6634 Times on 3609 Posts
Likes Given: 5726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Are you sure that it is not.................
Actually I am sure it was because of the earlier vietnam M16s the IDF were using that jammed if they even saw a grain of sand, and those lone soldiers wanted something that worked in the heat of battle and took up their dead enemys arms.

Nous Sommes Du Soleil

Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #22

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Actually I am sure it was because of the earlier vietnam M16s the IDF were using that jammed if they even saw a grain of sand, and those lone soldiers wanted something that worked in the heat of battle and took up their dead enemys arms.
That's why the switched to the FAL and then to the Galil(another example of "AK Reliability with the accuracy of the M16)

Old 11-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #23

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

As stated the sound of each weapon firing is distinctive. The sound of the enemy's rifle will draw friendly fire. In limited light situations, the silhouette of a rifle can be the difference between shooting and not shooting. If your own soldiers are carrying the enemy's rifle, he will get shot at by all sides.

Young soldiers are impressionable. Video games, peers, rumor, etc are fully capable of causing a soldier to think his rifle is inferior. If he is familiar with the AK, he may dump his M-4 and wind up getting ventilated by his own comrades.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
Big TOW

Liked 4546 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 4672

Quote:
Pretty reliable?I bet I can permanently disable with no difficulties an M16/M4 in normal combat operation.How?Simple:Put it into the water(let's say river or lake), take out quickly and try to shoot it.The receiver will blow up!Alternatively, you can try to throw in a sand bag and hope the bolt is not opened, neighter.If only small quantities will enter the chamber the game is over.The ar15 platform has been improved a lot but...would you compare it to the vz58, any AK, any HK G3,FAL or galil or HK416/7 series?...Please,be serious.

Personally, I consider the AR15 a great platform, but the way it works is not even far away it shout work.That's why the US govenment opted to replace the M4/M16 with the HK416 series!It uses a better gas system(short-stroke gas system instead of the direct infringement) and is far more reliable.

THE HK126 IS A BADASS WEAPON....RELIABLE AS THE AK, ACCURATE AS THE M16.
The AR Platform has had some issues, reliability wise. I gotta say, I can hit 40 out of 40 popups out to 200 meters pretty regularly back in the day. Maintenance of any tool is key to its effectiveness, the finer the tool, the higher the maintenance.

While it could be true that filling an m16 weapon up with water or sand could cause an explosion or a jamb, I dont suggest trying it to find out, especially when your in combat.

That said, I do expect the AR15 has nearly seen its best days, others will replace it like the Garand was years ago. Back to the thread, I do think most of our service members could put lead downrange with an AK if they needed to but just like you, we prefer our service-weapon of issue when the SHTF.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #25

Liked 3784 Times on 2257 Posts
Likes Given: 3161

ARs had problems, but the Germans fixed them.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #26

Liked 556 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Are you sure that it is not, at least partially, a matter of the so called "American-made foolosophy"?Americans are used to give great importance to the fact the something is made in the USA(Strong National spirit).Even if the stuff is evidently "inferior" to the foreing one.Example given?Would you compare the european small arms manufacturers with the American ones?!We have HK, FN Herstal,Beretta, Benelli, Zastava Arms, Mauser, etc.These suppliers are known among the whole world for being "la creme de la creme"("The elite", "the best of") of weapon manufacturing.But the US govenment was used to stick to the US made stuff, even if the european stuff was much better.Now they finally change their minds, even because many EU manufacturer openend their facilities in the USA, so the local production may take place even in the USA.

Face it:The HK G3 was superior to the first versions of the M16, so it is now the g36(Considered by many as the "natural succesor" tp the G3), HK416.The best submachinegun in the world is still the HK MP5(you can say or think what you want...just ask any spec ops unit), the best pistol(handgun) is the HK P2000.All are German made.The best sniper rifle?Accuracy international AWM, UK made.The best anti-riot gun?FN 300, belgian made.The best AK even made?Zastava M70, Serbian made.The best machinegun and most inspiring machinegun?MG42 and its derivatives(Like the MG3, again German.The first and most important Bolt action ever made?Mauser 98, again german made.An the list goes on.

Let me say it:Americans are innovators as well, but they cannot compete with europeans in terms of quality.
The weapons we designed have allowed us to kick most European Countries ass one time or the other.....We have also been in a few more conflicts and do a little bit more than drive around wearing blue helmets. The M4 is not a Vietnam Era M16.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #27

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quite possibly the American forces use American manufactured equipment to ensure a reliable source and short supply lines. The design source of the weapon would be a secondary concern. The politics of buying from foreign sources could put any deal in danger. Mauser seems to have addressed that pretty well by selling guns and selling manufacturing licenses in various parts of the world. The 1903 Springfield was done by making it in the US and ultimately paying Mauser royalties. It seems to me that US forces have sourced sidearms from non-US manufacturers in the past. So the argument about using only US products does have some weak spots in it.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #28

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 54

During my time in the service it was considered taboo to be caught with a non issue rifle. That being said we were well trained of our own accord on non US weapons. I have only encountered one rifle over sea's that I fully did not understand how to operate and took about 20 minutes to clear. If I had to guess I would say it was the only one of it's kind in the country. If one of our weapons systems went down as mine did we always had a spare M14, M4 or shotgun in arms reach.

Found a pic of it, feel free to tell me what the heck it was. I think is was a G3

Last edited by deathkricket; 11-12-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #29

Liked 405 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket
During my time in the service it was considered taboo to be caught with a non issue rifle. That being said we were well trained of our own accord on non US weapons. I have only encountered one rifle over sea's that I fully did not understand how to operate and took about 20 minutes to clear. If I had to guess I would say it was the only one of it's kind in the country. If one of our weapons systems went down as mine did we always had a spare M14, M4 or shotgun in arms reach. Found a pic of it, feel free to tell me what the heck it was.
Looks like an HK93

Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #30

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The idea has been around for a very long time. Ole Ben Franklin wanted American Frontier Army Units to train with Long Bows.