Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Why Running Might be the Worst Thing to DO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I didn't see where anybody mentioned the good ole' adrenaline dump, the "Fight or Flight Syndrome" must always be considered when discussing deadly force encounters. Those of you who state that they "cannot" must have never experienced one. I have seen people jump clear over 8 foot bushes in order to avoid the bullets flying in their direction. I have also seen people move so fast that getting a decent shot was dang near impossible.

With that in mind, I must applaud the two who mentioned programming your brain, or training for the fight. "As I train...so shall I fight" is a well documented fact. With this in mind, remember to train for many different situations. Those who depend on disarming their attacker must take into consideration what they are going to do if the bad guy is just out of range of their personal weapons.

I agree with the officer who speaks about "Move, Draw, Shoot".

Practice when you go to the range...just how fast can you get your weapon into action (from the position you actually carry it in). Now compare that to the average action v. reaction time...you might have a chance. Have you thought about what you are going to do if you do get hit, most bullet wounds are survivable, but not if you freak out and turn into a trembling ball of mush. If you choose to fight, it is imperative that you finish the fight, then be prepared to justify your actions.

Train your brain, practice and hope you never have to exercise your skills.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #32

Default ...and finally:

We (humans & animals) have a predator instinct. Think of vicious dogs. They'll growl and "posture" while you face them... even as you're backing away. As soon as you turn and run, the chase is on!

Psychologically, it's much easier for an assailant to shoot you in the back as you run, than it is for him/her to shoot you while you face them.

There's SO much more to the psychology of killing than we understand, but I'd highly recommend LTC Dave Grossman's book "On Killing" to anyone and everyone who carries... and may have to take a life one day.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #33

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
We (humans & animals) have a predator instinct. Think of vicious dogs. They'll growl and "posture" while you face them... even as you're backing away. As soon as you turn and run, the chase is on!

Psychologically, it's much easier for an assailant to shoot you in the back as you run, than it is for him/her to shoot you while you face them.

There's SO much more to the psychology of killing than we understand, but I'd highly recommend LTC Dave Grossman's book "On Killing" to anyone and everyone who carries... and may have to take a life one day.
Absolutely, hydrashok. Im my self-defence training we were told that turning your back on a potential attacker is indeed the worst thing to do, as it provokes the "predator-prey-chase" response in an aggressive person. Instead, we are taught to move off the centre-line ie diagonal to a suspect person, with hands up in the 'placating-yet-also-ready-to-defend' posture, in case they strike etc, which also puts you in a btter position to run or get to their side or behind them in a hurry. Both best places to retaliate if need be, or get in first if you have to.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #34

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Situation sum up, posturing, reaction, aggressor. All done in less than 4 seconds, determines the outcome and winner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
I can't even begin to recall how many threads I've read and or participated in involving real and theoretical situations and one subject people never seen to discuss is the how and why some people would be much better of to automatically engage a threat rather than waste precious seconds trying to escape a deadly shooting .

So here goes a shot at trying to share my thoughts .

First off can you run ? Yes I mean the physical act of running without keeling over having a heart attack .

How many married working people in their 30's beyond have had a reason to break out into and all out dash even for say 50 yards ? It isn't exactly a skill most need for raising the kids , paying the bills even when you take into consideration working all day , not many jobs require it . This is needed even less the older you get .

Then theres the ability to run hunched over so as to present as small a target as you can . How many close to or over age 40 can do this without running the real chance of having their back lock up on them and perhaps go into spasms ?

How fleet are you on your feet ? Suppose you have a nice fairly clear shot "run" at a doorway and the shooter is faced the other way , only one problem you have to make small jumps over the bodies of those already down and or perhaps other small obstacles like say a baby stroller here and there . You jump a body and a foot lands in a puddle of blood , can you keep your balance and keep running without falling on you azz ?

Then there's the ever popular topic of using cover when shots ring out and a madman is 30 ' away perhaps with his back turned to you .

You don't have time to just sashay your azz over to something to hide behind and get comfy you better move your little azz as fast as you can and to many they might instinctively try diving behind something solid .

When's the last time you dove on the ground ? Yes yes I know you use to play football in the mud and even the hard packed ground without pads and for those of us really stupid we even played a game or two in paved parking lots and streets , problem is that was all 20-25+ years ago or more can you still hit the ground that hard and not get the wind knocked out of you ?

Can you still instinctively roll when you hit the ground to prevent injury ?

See I've done all this crap and more , jumped off of a roof or two without a trip to the hospital by hitting the ground rolling , taken hot grounders to the chest and thrown out the batter before he got to first , run the catcher over and knocked the ball loose so I was safe etc. etc. .

Problem is this was all many years and miles and miles ago on my back and knees and I don't delude myself into thinking I'll magically be able to do it all again just because bullets are flying around .

Fact of the matter is when it comes down to a shooting if any these things come into play your age and physical condition and that of your attacker will be taken into consideration . One hardly expects a man to run to prevent having to shoot an attacker or prevent being shot and chance dieing because of a known physical condition .

For all of the younger crowd that thinks running will always be the best plan I suggest you get and stay in tip top condition your entire life and pray your back doesn't get hurt in some freak accident .

this person forgot the main ingrediant in a gun fight. adrenalin. as a soldier i seen my share of gun fights. i seen the old starved and sick and hurt run and jump and dodge like rabbits. crouching down isnt a good way to avoid getting hit in a gun fight. (unless its behind cover) when moving, especially when the shooter has his back to you, you move as fast as possible from cover to cover. a moving target is a hard target. and if your standing up your a thinner target to hit. hunched over your shorter but a bigger mass. and slower, making you an easy target. best way to break contact with a gun man is just run like hell, zig zag and use cover if possible and always take the path of least resistance. if your armed you have two options a) use cover to either get a good shot or manuver untill you get the good shot to eliminate the threat or b) shoot to cover your movements and withdrawl. adrenalin will halt pain boost your breathing and blood flow, cause constipation and increase muscle compasity. making you do things you never thought possible. while good shape is ideal, it is not needed to survive a gun fight.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #36

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I am not in good health so running is not an option for me or my youngest son for that matter. But one thing I try to do is know areas of potential danger, and not go there. We cannot always avoid places or situations where danger may be present but we can lower the risk.

I don't go to nightclubs and bars
I don't go to areas where it is known for violence
I don't go to areas where drug dealers are known to frequent
I don't covent my Neighbors wife
I don't go around known confrontational event such as demonstrations/protests.
I keep my tally whacker right where it belongs, in my pants
I don't carry a large amount of cash nor own a $10,000 Rolex watch that I ware, no bling hanging from my neck.
I don't mix booze and weapons or automobiles
I don’t make old men angry because they just don’t give a ****