Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W for self defense - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W for self defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Cost is an issue for the common man.

I'm a regular guy. As an example, I have a Garand and a Mosin.

I probably like the Garand a little better. But ammo for the Garand

is @ $1.32 per round. Ammo for the Mosin is @.19c per round.

Wanna take a wild guess which I shoot more?

So, to go one logical progression, if you practice with

the less expensive alternative, and become more

proficient with it, cheaper is better.

Unless, of course, you're incredibly wealthy...

Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #62

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
Cost is an issue for the common man.

I'm a regular guy. As an example, I have a Garand and a Mosin.

I probably like the Garand a little better. But ammo for the Garand

is @ $1.32 per round. Ammo for the Mosin is @.19c per round.

Wanna take a wild guess which I shoot more?

So, to go one logical progression, if you practice with

the less expensive alternative, and become more

proficient with it, cheaper is better.

Unless, of course, you're incredibly wealthy...
I would not consider myself wealthy, but probably better off than many. (own my home, 2 cars, have a job!). I don't have a ton of discretionary money, but I do have some. I budget ammo and $$ for training just like I budget car payments and groceries. If we get low on money, then I'll spend less (or not have) on a family vacation. Yes, if it came down to it, I'd shoot less before missing a car payment, but I think many people don't realize how much they spend on eating out, drinking, going to the movies, etc. Protecting yourself, and training to be able to do that should be budgeted for before other non-essentials. Just my opinion. $25 (100 rounds of 9mm) can give you two good sessions at the range. I see way too many people doing rapid fire and burning through a couple hundred rounds, and I think they think that's making them better. Working on stance, grip, trigger pull, etc, is what makes a bigger difference.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 10-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The 9mm is just too fast for my comfort, so I don't carry it anymore.
case and point.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #64

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrower View Post
I would not consider myself wealthy, but probably better off than many. (own my home, 2 cars, have a job!). I don't have a ton of discretionary money, but I do have some. I budget ammo and $$ for training just like I budget car payments and groceries. If we get low on money, then I'll spend less (or not have) on a family vacation. Yes, if it came down to it, I'd shoot less before missing a car payment, but I think many people don't realize how much they spend on eating out, drinking, going to the movies, etc. Protecting yourself, and training to be able to do that should be budgeted for before other non-essentials. Just my opinion. $25 (100 rounds of 9mm) can give you two good sessions at the range. I see way too many people doing rapid fire and burning through a couple hundred rounds, and I think they think that's making them better. Working on stance, grip, trigger pull, etc, is what makes a bigger difference.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk
Well, us "po folks" get a lot of bang for the buck from

9mm...

Old 10-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #65

I enjoy double-tapping and changing mags, so I tend to burn through 100 rounds of .40 cal in about 30 min. I'd like to visit the range every week, but doing the essential things that have priority in my budget limits me to going just once a month. I'm seriously thinking of buying a .22 Ruger Mk III for Christmas just so I can go shooting more often. I'll still be able to work on stance, grip, trigger pull, etc. and save the bigger bang for that one day in the month.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #66

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
I ran across this article on another forum and thought it merited being brought up here. Its, in my opinion, a great article.

I'm highly interested in everyone's take on this!
After reading the article, it's my opinion, Rob did a great job explaining why he prefers 9mm over 40 S&W.

After reading all the post replies up to this point, there are many opinions, for whatever reason, 9 -vs- 40 -vs- 45, and that will never end. As well, we will always have articles written about the selection of caliber.

I have certainly had many opinions over the years and tend to make choices based on real combat experience. But, thankfully most do not have the luxury of real combat and I wish for them, it remain that way, and I wish for me, never again.

There is no doubt in my mind, Rob has made the best choice for him and does well at explaining why. This is good information for those others with less experience or less insight, and Rob makes some good points. As I respect his selection, I'm sure Rob will respect mine.

I have tried to base my opinions and selections based on first hand experience, as much knowledge and information I can gather, and personal results. I am interested in student and instructors choices and results, but most concerned about my own choices based on my results.

It's not that caliber choice is unimportant, it's that in my experience, the caliber and gun I used had little to do with the results. Make your selection and come out to train. If your interested in defensive skills, learning to develop fighting skills are far more important than caliber choice. If you are interested in competition (IDPA, IPSC, Etc), then I think you need to pay more attention to caliber, make, model, equipment, set-up, ammo......for these details may mean the difference of shaving off a split second on your score and champions are usually only separated by very small margins from the 1st place loser. On the other hand, combat on a 2-way range.....may be quite different!