Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W for self defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W for self defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W for self defense

I ran across this article on another forum and thought it merited being brought up here. Its, in my opinion, a great article.

I'm highly interested in everyone's take on this!

Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W for self defense

Quote:
1. The Myth of the “One Shot Stop”, Part 1: Faster Strings of Fire are Better.
2. The Myth of the “One Shot Stop”, Part 2: Higher Capacity is Better.
3. Negligible Difference in Practical Wounding Potential.
4. Lower Cost, High Value Practice

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Last edited by canebrake; 09-30-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #2

Liked 1788 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

>So, why do I think the 9mm is a better choice for personal defense . (snip) . the best recommendation I can give.<

That’s what I thought.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Never had a doubt. The fact that 9mm and .40 ammo availability is abundant, fairly priced and can be obtained most any place has always been a factor.

Being shot with either one will definitely be an instant attitude adjustment.

Being shot faster, repeatedly and with more rounds for shot placement, the 9mm will kill you...period.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah... well... Writers need to write about SOMETHING... That's how they make their living. This is better... that's better... this COULD be better... that COULD be better... I used to like like Chevys, now I like Fords... but Chevys aren't bad either... what-EVerrrr...

#1 rule for a gunfight:

Have a gun.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 09-16-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2960 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 327

I'm certainly glad to see that issue is finally settled once and for all.
We need never speak of it again.
Now for the ongoing "tastes great" vs. "Less filling" debate.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 09-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #6

So.... having a 9mm is better because of the ECONOMY of it????

I refuse to make my SELF DEFENSE selection based, primarily, on COST!

I, once, carried a 9mm for self defense (Browning Hi-Power). I got into a shooting with said 9mm. I lived, the bad guy didn't. However, the police measured 21 meters from gun-to-gun. Using Federal Hydrashoks, every round went all the way through the bad guy.

The 9mm is just too fast for my comfort, so I don't carry it anymore. My choice wasn't based on the economy of what I carry, but the effectiveness without overpenetration.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 09-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #7

wounding potential? definitly not what i look for in a fire arm. his basic argument can be said the same for the .22. if you want more rounds and faster rate of fire with control, and a "wounding" potential, why not defend yourself and your home with a .22? according to his logic you are a frickin genius if you do.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 09-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Based on the performance of any size choice of handgun caliber, shot placement delivery and the more holes you can put into someone, causing more loss of blood and internal organ/tissue/CNS damage, are always the top two actions that determine any shootout loser/winner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Based on the performance of any size choice of handgun caliber, shot placement delivery and the more holes you can put into someone, causing more loss of blood and internal organ/tissue/CNS damage, are always the top two actions that determine any shootout loser/winner.
so again, following logic, the .22 would be the best choice. it holds the most rounds and it is the easiest to control. and following the other guy its cheap. not to mention .22 pistols can be fired almost rapid without that much kickback. if we want to discuss shot placement and blood loss potential than more is better, and the control over the more would make the most sense right? to me the .22 is the best choice for those areas.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 09-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #10

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
so again, following logic, the .22 would be the best choice. it holds the most rounds and it is the easiest to control. and following the other guy its cheap. not to mention .22 pistols can be fired almost rapid without that much kickback. if we want to discuss shot placement and blood loss potential than more is better, and the control over the more would make the most sense right? to me the .22 is the best choice for those areas.
I think the moral of the story (from the authors perspective) is that the .40 S&W round simply isn't "better enough" than the 9mm to excuse its higher price, higher recoil, and lower capacity.

I would agree here strongly when it becomes an issue of how often someone going to the range to shoot. Aside from that, I'm really undecided. I think the 9mm is more than acceptable when fired from a adequate length barrel.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun