This is why every gun is ALWAYS loaded - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > This is why every gun is ALWAYS loaded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Always good to be safe with guns.

I will admit to my one A/D due to negligence - basically caused by a brain fart but that was all that was needed to have one land in my kitchen floor. I don't think one will ever happen again due to my fault.

Quote:
I'm sure that FBI guy who shot himself in the foot on Youtube thought he had taken the proper precautions, too.
Anyone have a link to the video described above?

All the best,
Glenn B

Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I've been watching Dan's thread about his mod. 15 and thought I'd pop the cover on my mod 65 to compare. I walked in the other room (poor light) grabbed the mod. 65, opened the cylinder, ejected the cartridges, closed the cylinder, and walked to the dining room where there is more light.

When cleaning or handling a gun I'm obsessive about clearing it. I will clear it every time I pick it up, and again before I set it down. So, before I set the gun on the table, I double checked that it was unloaded and what do you think I found...

The combination of poor light, nickle cases in a SS frame, and being in a hurry resulted in me missing one. That's why I'm obsessive about clearing a firearm EVERY time I pick it up or set it down, unless I want it to be loaded of course. And, that's why EVERY GUN IS ALWAYS, ALWAYS, (did I mention ALWAYS) LOADED!

This has been a public service announcement, carry on...
Whoa!!! Obsessive behavior does have its merit.
Good thing you checked it again in the light. Funny
how Light dispells all doubts.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #23

Liked 2551 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennBartley View Post

I will admit to my one A/D due to negligence - basically caused by a brain fart but that was all that was needed to have one land in my kitchen floor. I don't think one will ever happen again due to my fault.

All the best,
Glenn B
Google it, it's not hard to find. Just look for the black guy

with the Mod Squad afro going on and on about his .40 Glock.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #24

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennBartley

All the best,
Glenn B
Then you didn't have an accidental discharge you had a negligent discharge.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Then you didn't have an accidental discharge you had a negligent discharge.
You seemingly do not understand the difference between the terms accident and negligence and between the words accidental and negligent.

Accident is a noun. An accident is something that you did not do on purpose but yet you did it. It takes place even though you did not intend it. Negligent is not a noun, it is an adjective. It would therefore be a descriptor for a noun such as the word accident when combined with that noun.

Accidental is also an adjective, and it can be used to describe a discharge of a firearm, certainly any one that you shot but did not intend to shoot thus it would be called an accidental shot. A further descriptor of the discharge could be made by adding the word negligent, such as in a negligent accidental discharge. There is no contradiction of terms there but nor are the two terms one and the same in meaning. The discharge can be both accidental and negligent or in other words it can be an accident due to negligence. That the discharge was accidental simply means you did not intend it, yet you did it. To assign negligence, on the other hand, is placing blame. You can have an accidental discharge through no fault of your own and thus not be negligent - or you can have one through some degree of negligence on your part and thus it would be a negligent accidental discharge. You can also have a purposeful discharge of a firearm that was absolutely not accidental yet completely negligent such as when firing a gun with depraved indifference.

As far as what I did is concerned, it is still an accident or in other words still something that was not done purposefully, whether or not I was at fault. In fact, I was at fault, and I plainly stated that in my earlier post claiming it was "due to negligence", that was right there in my post for all to see.

It seems, there is a distinct difference between the concept and definitions of both of those words except among certain types among one community, that would be the firearms community. Many members of the firearms community, for some obscure reason, choose not to realize the terms are not interchangeable but very different even though often closely related and even though they are often used together and even though a discharge can be both accidental and negligent at the same time. As you can see from what I wrote though, there is quite the difference between the meanings of the two words accidental and negligent and also quite the difference the two words accident and negligence though all are often used in conjunction with one another. I hope that sheds some light on the difference for you.

All the best,
Glenn B

Last edited by GlennBartley; 07-02-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:27 PM   #26

As for the guy someone mentioned who shot himself, whom someone said was an FBI agent - I think maybe you meant the DEA agent. That was the only video of which I was aware of that nature and still the only one I can find. I like to give credit where it is due but also like to hammer the right nail when it needs hammering.

If I am wrong on that, and there is one with an FBI agent, I would appreciate the link as I could not find it and I sure would like to see it.

All the best,
GB

Old 07-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #27

Looks like someone likes Russian roulette... (Only joking..)

Last edited by Rhodesian; 07-03-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #28

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennBartley View Post
You seemingly do not understand the difference between the terms accident and negligence and between the words accidental and negligent.
I think you're missing the point of people replacing the term "accidental discharge" with "negligent discharge".

In common parlance, accidental is used to imply that there was no fault. Think of a kid's lament, "It was an accident!" Meaning, yes it did happen, but I didn't mean it (and therefore it's not my fault).

What people are trying to convey is that there are no accidental discharges that aren't negligent. All unintended/accidental discharges occurr because of negligence, otherwise there wouldn't have been an unintended discharge.

The "shooter" failed to do something that they had the responsibility of doing, therefore they are negligent. First and foremost is pulling the trigger. Second being not being sure that the gun was empty when pulling the trigger.

I'm sure there are some accidental discharges (that aren't as a result of negligence), but the typical example put out there is usuallya negligent accidental discharge. (The one that comes to mind for me was an officer reholstering and a pull cord from an issued jacket got into the trigger and "pulled" the trigger for him - I don't remember the exact details, though.)

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 07-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
You can't be too careful.

I'm sure that FBI guy who shot himself in the foot

on Youtube

thought he had taken the proper precautions, too.

I'm usually not happy till I'm looking down an empty

breech with the mag removed, and the slide locked back.
"I am the only one professional enough to shoot myself in the foot"
-FBI Agent

Old 07-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I've been watching Dan's thread about his mod. 15 and thought I'd pop the cover on my mod 65 to compare. I walked in the other room (poor light) grabbed the mod. 65, opened the cylinder, ejected the cartridges, closed the cylinder, and walked to the dining room where there is more light.

When cleaning or handling a gun I'm obsessive about clearing it. I will clear it every time I pick it up, and again before I set it down. So, before I set the gun on the table, I double checked that it was unloaded and what do you think I found...

The combination of poor light, nickle cases in a SS frame, and being in a hurry resulted in me missing one. That's why I'm obsessive about clearing a firearm EVERY time I pick it up or set it down, unless I want it to be loaded of course. And, that's why EVERY GUN IS ALWAYS, ALWAYS, (did I mention ALWAYS) LOADED!

This has been a public service announcement, carry on...
Had the SAME experience with my Judge. "Cleared" it and thought it was safe, checked it again and it had one in the chamber.......you can NEVER be too careful with firearms, especially revolvers. Good post.

Last edited by cddbrowns; 07-03-2011 at 06:19 AM.