Who here actually trains regularly? - Page 23
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Who here actually trains regularly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 431 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1588

Chad sounds like you guys are doing the right thing.
I hope you get many attendees!

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?
chad-JS Likes This 
Old 11-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post

1)I'm intrigued by those here who disparage standard range trips as "not real training."
2)Any range time where you can work on your skills is more beneficial than sitting home watching The Big Bang Theory. Sight picture, stance, breath and trigger control are all under the umbrella of training IMHO. The more of this you do, the more familiar you become with your sidearm.
3)You want to go thru the rigors of a civilian version of Ranger school, by all means, do your thing.
4)Just riddle me this, Batman. How much of this tacticool training will you actually ever use in the real world?
I wasnt going to say anything but there are so many misunderstandings stuffed into this single post which is clearly the result of the fog of the internet, I can't help but answer.

1) No one is disparaging the square range as useless. Its convenient, + has its place to keep our gun skills sharp, and for those who only run handguns it can be the 70% solution.....but in the end it's just a step in the training progression. On the square range you learn you weapons ,manipulation and your fundamentals. In the end its about much more than that.

It's really about Crawl, Walk, Run.

Crawl = Getting to know your gun on the square range + fundamentals, BRM

Walk= Updrills and such . To a point, much of this can still be done on square range to help you employ your gun and hit stuff when shooting quickly and under stress.

Run= Proper tactical training in lanes; Movement to contact, react to contact offensive/defensive use of terrain, live-fire working in a buddy team and/or fire team, no movement w/o fire etc etc.

2) Yes. Anyone who does something is alright in my book. If handicapped, suffering from extreme old age or just flat broke then Square range is the best substitute to keep the skills sharp in the absence of other opportunities.
Anyone who goes out an makes an effort within his budget or physical limitations is improving himself and is alright in my book.

3) Don't think the tactical schools offered are the equivalent of "Ranger School", not even approximately since RS consists of a lot of food and sleep deprivation. It really isnt that extreme out there in the civilian classes.Besides RS is a testing event not a training event

4) Actually I think you misunderstand the term "Tacticool" ...

This refers to the SWAT fantasy camps where instructors focus on youtube friendly quickly pumping bullets into paper..CQB standing transitions (snicker) and just general fun stuff; most of which however is still just being stuck the "walk" phase, no matter how cool it looks, how fast they shoot, or how much time/money is spent.

Some of it is even completely misdirected for the students who take it, who wind up spending lots of money on niche stuff and circus tricks and getting training scars not understanding that some of that they train might get them killed. (like all that upright walking while shooting)

The philosophy of tactical schools (Max Velocity, Mason Dixon Tactical, Sierra13 and such) is to push back on the widespread tacticool BS and not to make a guy a pure carbine driver or transition dancer.

Its about learning to use cover + terrain in both the offense and defense, reacting to contact TEAMWORK under fire, etc etc.

(These classes are also an excellent tool to show people in how poor a shape they a really are.
I am in my late 40's and work out 5 days a week.
And that's the bare minimum for me at my age, to be physically competent to properly run the gun, be agile and tactically useful to the community.
If I was in my late 20's I could probably get away with only 3 workouts a week, who knows)

Where will you have real world applications?

Everywhere, you have to use a Firearm and you or your loved ones life depends on it.

Things can get ugly very quickly in the "real world" and that's what our firearms are for, are they not?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Last edited by bluez; 11-27-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #223

Free Kindle e-book contrasting "tacticool" training with tactical training .
Its funny

http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Tacticool-Satirical-Guide-ebook/dp/B00KQ721R2

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Old 11-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #224

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

bluez Likes This 
Old 12-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #225

Chad: Thanks for the link!

That looks real interesting/good

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512