Who here actually trains regularly?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Who here actually trains regularly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default Who here actually trains regularly?

When I say this, I mean gets training from a professional instructor, or group of professionals. I personally don't consider just blasting through a bunch of ammo in my back yard training. I realize training is expensive, but so are medical bills and/or funeral expenses. I try my best to attend courses fairly regularly ( 3-4 a year, plus whatever I can get my agency to pay for) with instructors far beyond my skill set. My next course is a building clearing/fighting course with a former SEAL and Green Beret.
When training on my own, I like to set out with a specific goal in mind. Drawing from concealment, multiple targets, accuracy, using cover, building clearing, fighting from a vehicle, low light/no light, weapons transitions, malfunctions, etc. I always like to train with others who serve as a safety officer and can call out various scenarios on the move. I also try to video and definitely log each training so I can mark profess. I'm fortunate enough to have a great range and people willing to train at almost any time. Anyway, what does everyone's training consist of? Any good drills you'd like to share with everyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #2

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Training for self defense is not a martial art. If you are a veteran or a competitive shooter you have had enough training to set up your own drills. You can buy Jeff Cooper's books so you understand how training works. While Cooper's original drills may not be the best training methods, all other training methods evolved from Cooper's work.

Training with a green beret might improve your tactics or speed a little bit. The primary job of a special forces soldier doesn't involve shooting a weapon. Combat is nothing like you have seen on TV or call or duty.
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #3

I served four years in the Marines as a grunt. Pushed from Kuwait through Baghdad my first tour as part of a Scout Platoon. Next two tours were in Fallujah during the brutal fighting for that city. Granted that has been a while back, but I'm fairly versed in real-life combat, Having engaged enemy from point blank with my handgun out to a few hundred yards with my rifle and crew-served weapons...so I don't pull my experience from TV or Call of Duty. My point was training with guys who devote their entire lives to training to fight can be incredibly valuable. Granted an average person will never have reason or justification to enter and clear a large building, but as a police officer it may very well be something I end up having to do. And those same tactics can apply to clearing your own home. Why not learn the tactics from guys who have been there and done that more times than most people have logged into a Call to Duty account? A book is fine, but nothing teaches you better than a seasoned pro watching and critiquing whatever problems you may be having. And a primary mission of an 18B (Special Forces Weapon Sgt) is knowing and teaching a huge variety of weapons and tactics. I highly encourage anyone who gets a chance to take part in a force on force scenario using simunitions. It is very humbling and will definitely increase your desire to learn.

Last edited by Mule659; 06-13-2014 at 11:23 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I too am a Vet and was also in OIF 1 on the push to Baghdad and Tikrit and I too have had more than my share of combat from house raids/CQB to engaging targets out to about 800 meters with my squad marksmen weapon, and I too feel that training is important to keep your edge sharp. Now that being said do I think it is worthwhile to pay someone to conduct that training with me? Absolutely not I have years of military training to pull from and so do you. Use that training to set your own scenarios up. I understand its hard to set up a cqb course and get simunition guns, but you really could do the same thing with milsim paintball guns much cheaper and that would open more training options up for you as well on the cqb front.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

http://www.rap4.com/store/paintball/magazine-fed-markers-c-1829.html these are all magazine fed paintball markers made to look as realistic as possible its what I use when I wanna do cqb training and a paintball hurts just as bad as simunition

Old 06-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8497 Times on 5077 Posts
Likes Given: 11115

I know someone very involved in IDPA matches. I think that is some good training.

I just like shooting holes in paper and making some steel targets spin or ping.
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #7

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I am a vet myself. We sure didn't shoot it out with anyone when a radio will bring hell raining down on them. Maybe the military has changed over the years but I really doubt it. We had a few cowboys who put us all in danger. They were in Tokyo PDQ getting their foot amputated after they stepped on a toe popper.

Last edited by John_Deer; 06-13-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I am a vet myself. We sure didn't shoot it out with anyone when a radio will bring hell raining down on them. Maybe the military has changed over the years but I really doubt it.

It's a lil different in urban combat and with such a focus on lowering noncombatant casualties although we did rain down plenty of ordinance when there was little to no chance of collateral damage

Old 06-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I am a vet myself. We sure didn't shoot it out with anyone when a radio will bring hell raining down on them. Maybe the military has changed over the years but I really doubt it.

I would much rather let the air and arty take them out. Buy unfortunately the brass in Washington won't let you just level a city block instead of clearing each building one at a time. At least according to the ROE we were stuck with.

Anyway, my point of this thread was not to start any form of pissing contest or anything of the sort. I personally feel it is worth the cost to train with the best instructors possible at the best facilities possible. It's fun and may save my life someday. To some people it may not be worth it.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It's just cost prohibitive those courses are not cheap and you can do damn near all of the same stuff on your own for less