Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Where To Draw the Line on Guns with Friends (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/where-draw-line-guns-friends-29809/)

TheSadPanda 07-29-2010 07:37 AM

Where To Draw the Line on Guns with Friends

Please bare with me through my story so I can get to my question.

So me and my best friends airsoft pretty regularly. The problem that I am having with them though is that they will NOT practice firearm safety! I am constantly telling them to stop pointing the guns at my face, and most of the time im not even wearing eye protection when they do it :eek: I also tell them that they're going to end up pulling the trigger on accident and really do some damage (I have a scar just above my eye that bled for an entire day, but thats another story). Still won't listen. Well tonight I found out that one of them did indeed point the gun at his own brother and accidently pulled the trigger. Shot him right in the chest :mad: The damage was minimal, but the this is where the problem comes in.

I own actual firearms, and like to take people with the range to me. I can't stop thinking about how if we were at an actual range, and he was next to me, he would have put a 40 S&W right into the center of my chest.

So the question I pose to everybody is... Is it wrong of me to completely restrict my friend from gun use? especially of my own firearms. I feel he can't be trusted. But I don't want to over react. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I take my firearms VERY seriously!!

Thank you!

danf_fl 07-29-2010 08:17 AM

Airsoft is a good aid to firearm safety training (in most cases). Refusal to partake when unsafe practices are being used is the smart thing to do. Old habits are hard to break, and you do have to think of real firearm safety even with Airsoft.

Maddmedic 07-29-2010 06:10 PM

The 4 Rules still apply and you should remind them.

I would not be comfortable with your friends at the range.

spittinfire 07-29-2010 06:15 PM

I personally would not allow them to touch any firearm in my presence if they can't follow simple safety rules, airsoft or not.

I would explain that to them and if they aren't willing to change you'll be doing a lot of shooting by yourself. 95% I shoot alone.

orangello 07-29-2010 07:16 PM

You should show them the pic & thread from last week in which a mostly safe shooter made one tiny mistake & put a .40 through his hand & arm & then show them your .40 ammo.

amoroque 07-29-2010 07:18 PM

From what you are saying, I think you know the answer.
If you feel he can't be trusted, then you know what to do.

I know it would be tough, but, firearms are life and death.

IGETEVEN 07-29-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 322462)
I personally would not allow them to touch any firearm in my presence if they can't follow simple safety rules, airsoft or not.

I would explain that to them and if they aren't willing to change you'll be doing a lot of shooting by yourself. 95% I shoot alone.

Indeed, what Spitty said.

I value my firearms and demand serious safety and respectful behavior around them and their use at all times like I do my wife.

Mistreat, disrespect. mishandle or do something to jeopardize safety to either one...then we got a serious problem. :mad:

Jack

robocop10mm 07-29-2010 08:15 PM

I would not consider any one that stupid as my "friend". Airsoft or not, he is an idiot. He would NEVER touch one of my firearms and I would not play airsoft with him again. I expect to see him in the news soon.

PTsouthpaw 07-29-2010 09:17 PM

I have many friends who I like to go shooting with, with all ranges of firearm experience. I have never had an incident where one of the friends i brought with me made me feel unsafe (although i have corrected some of their unsafe actions). That being said, i also have friends who i refuse to take shooting, because of their general immaturity about handling firearms (and refusal to listen). If you have tried to show/demonstrate real firearm safety to them, and they stick to being an idiot, you are completely right not to allow them to handle your weapons.

I have 15 and 16 year old cousins who I feel safer at the range with then some of my friends my age (and older). I always pick my "shooting buddies" carefully.

c3shooter 07-29-2010 10:00 PM

I shoot with my grandkids, who have VERY good range manners. But I have seen some very tall childern out there. They should be limited to cap guns, or pointing fingers and yelling "BANG!" until they grow up.

Gee- what WAS that line from Forrest Gump? Oh- "Stupid is as stupid does."