Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Where is the best place for a woman to conceal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #31
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
I can sit in a mall for 5 minutes any day of the week and see at least three potential victims yakking or texting. .
I have a far worse viewpoint. I don't see ANYONE that doesn't believe that their text message or phone call is as important as curing cancer and have NO situational awareness, both men and women. They don't care when they are hurtling down the freeway at 60 mph in a 4,000 lb vehicle capable of delivering 500,000 lb/ft of energy and they completely checkout when shopping. Both situations can have greatly improved awareness with a $40 bluetooth headset, but no one wants to be bothered.

I agree that same place all the time is ideal. However, if changing seasons and changing clothing does not allow it, it is better to always be armed. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying 14 positions and 35 holsters until you find the perfect carry for you! Be creative and try everything you are told by others you'd hate - you'll be surprised how often they are wrong. Use the purse carry as an absolute last resort and please have a carry purse - a gun mixed in with wallet, keys and chewing gum is a recipe for disaster.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
My wife carries a combat commander in .45 in a Kydex holster at about the 4 o'clock position on her belt, but she has two different flashbang holsters for her .380 when wearing casual or dresses. Flashbang has several different styles that are worn differently. If you haven't seen the new line since the SHOT show, update yourself!

Purses have to be the worst place for a woman to carry due to time to draw and the liability of arming a criminal with a simple purse snatch. Remember the CCW axiom: "Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable." Also remember that it takes 21 days to make something a habit. You can't wear a new holster in a new location and decide it won't work after a day or two. Give every change three weeks and then make your decision. Like new shoes, you'll be surprised how comfortable a carry choice can be when you get past the "break-in" period.
My daughter would disagree with the statement I highlighted. Purse carry for her means she can walk across a parking lot with the gun in her hand and never remove it from concealment. Yes, she has a dedicated concealment purse, and yes, she carries a hammerless revolver. My CWP instructors wife carried in a concealment purse, too. He was a retired LEO and she is still active. It's not the ideal solution, but it is a very viable option. It certainly beats the crap out of not knowing where you;re wearing your gun with your outfit. Same place, every time!

Last edited by Doc3402; 03-23-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #33
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Doc,

I'm glad it works for her and I hope she never needs to pull it! My wife created a few scenarios where she did not like the idea of the purse carry, namely:

Placing a purse on a counter to pay for something and exposing the gun to others and possible theft (non-carry purse).

While filling the car with gas; both possible attack while unarmed (gun in car, in purse, owner standing outside car fueling) and possible carjack, taking purse and gun.

Various times purse is set down; trying on something, looking through racks or any number of activities that remove the purse from direct possession.

Again, purse carry obviously works for some, and is better than not carrying at all. But if you can carry on your body, it provides a more secure environment for the gun and you person carrying both. ;-)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #34

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Yeah,
Purse carry is not ideal. But women have learned how not to lose their purses - and it is always close to them. They always know where it is. So their gun would be very close, too. And that is good. Not ideal - but a good thing.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #35

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

I haven't started to carry yet because I haven't gotten my license back from the background check yet, but all of you guys make very good arguing points. I guess what feels right is different for everyone. Thank you so much for the advice, you have all been very helpful. I live in the country, and the only time I really ever feel like I would need it is when I go into town or at night at home. Once I get into the routine of carrying I will know what is right for me, but everyone talked about different things I didn't even think of ( location to conceal, scenarios, and accessories to help) this is the reason I signed up for this app, to learn more about our second amendment and things that all of you long time gun owners would know, (since I am new to all of this) thank you again fellow gun owners

Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #36

Liked 212 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 1

kitkat89 :
If you are still new to all this, you might benefit from seeing the video, " A Woman's Guide to Firearms " featuring a young Mickey Fowler and Mike Dalton . Also visit http://www.guntalk.tv/site.php to see free video clips .
To help with the 2nd Amendment, www.ruger.com .

Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #37

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Go on you tube and just type in girl holster and youll get some good ideas and its even fun for us guys to watch those videos too.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #38

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

KitKat,
You mentioned using an app to use this forum. If that is all you are using, just your phone, try to get to a computer and watch the girl's video that was posted for you earlier - Falia. It is an excellent review by a young woman of various ways of carry. She show many different ways of carry with different guns and with different clothes.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #39

Liked 212 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 1

kitcat :
Okay, silly time is over . Look at Galco and other holster makers for a pancake-style holster for FBI carry ( strong-side, front-draw, forward cant, no retention feature except the holster shape itself . The new paddle holsters may work, but a belt-slide is tried & true ). Wear jeans and a long shirt or tactical vest if you are serious about self-defense . In winter, wear a long fleece jacket and keep it on you .

That girl in the YouTube video probably made the vid as a c0ck tease for men rather than serious advice . I carry a Glock on a Sam Browne belt all day and even that isn't comfortable , so if you think that thigh band will be tolerable---Good luck !

Well, there's always the Plaxico Buress "Mexican carry" system LOL .

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-23-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #40

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat89 View Post
I feel showing that I have a gun would make me more of a target than a threat to the criminal. How easy would it be for the criminal to over power me before I even realize he is a threat. I am referring to a robbery in this situation.
kitkat89, anybody and everybody should feel this way. It is "concealed carry" for a reason. If you are "printing" to the world that you are wearing a gun that alone may make you a target and you should be responsible and careful about that. This is not unique to you because you are new to it, small, or a woman.

I am none of those and although a small gun probably disappears on me I have been careful to ensure that it does in public and am self-conscious about that.

Now if you'll excuse me apparently there is a video I need to go watch.