Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Where is the best place for a woman to conceal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3702 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat89 View Post
I actually do live in an open carry state (michigan) but for me being a young lady and not very big, I feel showing that I have a gun would make me more of a target than a threat to the criminal. How easy would it be for the criminal to over power me before I even realize he is a threat. I am referring to a robbery in this situation.
KITKAT

I agree that open carry makes you a target. Personally, I've been carrying a concealed gun daily for 17 years. Huge guns and tiny guns, major calibers and minor calibers, and done so in every possible location on the body.

What I've discovered "as far as location" on the body is that I prefer the hip at the 3 O'clock or 4 O'clock position because "if attacked", even a smaller victim can step back with there "stong side" leg, and as long as there "strong arm" is free... draw and fire while using there weak hand to ward of the threat.

Self defense with a gun will never be a game of taking careful aim on and advancing target... chances are... you won't know your a target until the thug is on you... and you may need to actually claw, hit, and bite your way into enough clear space to reach your weapon.

The strongest part of your body is your legs and hips so if your able to maneuver at all... it will be angle your strong side hip away from the goblin to clear and draw your weapon.

IWB with a somewhat loose top will hide your firearm but you will need to make some clothing decisions if your serious about seeing to your own security.

Your pic looks alot like my 17 year old daughter so I truly hope you take all of this to heart and put your safety above fasion.

Good Luck and be safe.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 03-22-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #22

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

KITKAT

I agree that open carry makes you a target. Personally, I've been carrying a concealed gun daily for 17 years. Huge guns and tiny guns, major calibers and minor calibers, and done so in every possible location on the body.

What I've discovered "as far as location" on the body is that I prefer the hip at the 3 O'clock or 4 O'clock position because "if attacked", even a smaller victim can step back with there "stong side" leg, and as long as there "strong arm" is free... draw and fire while using there weak hand to ward of the threat.

Self defense with a gun will never be a game of taking careful aim on and advancing target... chances are... you won't know your a target until the thug is on you... and you may need to actually claw, hit, and bite your way into enough clear space to reach your weapon.

The strongest part of your body is your legs and hips so if your able to maneuver at all... it will be angle your strong side hip away from the goblin to clear and draw your weapon.

IWB with a somewhat loose top will hide your firearm but you will need to make some clothing decisions if your serious about seeing to your own security.

Your pic looks alot like my 17 year old daughter so I truly hope you take all of this to heart and put your safety above fasion.

Good Luck and be safe.

Tack
Thank you for all the advice, I am 23 years old and just now becoming a firearm owner, and after taking my CPL class I see things completely different now. After grabbing my weapon and trying out a few things, I feel hiding it inside my waistband at about the 11 o' clock grabbing with my right hand feels the most comfortable. Once I get my license this next month I will see what feels the best out and about. Thank you to everyone for all of the great ideas and input

Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 987

Quote:
Ok this is a weird question, but maybe someone can help me out. I asked my CPL teacher where the best place for a woman to conceal would be, and he said my purse. What I'm worried about is what if someone steals my purse? Wouldn't it be safer to have it on my body somewhere? Any suggestions?
Google search "Bra Holster" That should fit your need very well in many applications, also Google "belly band holster" and check out Cross breed holsters. You should have a couple of different carry holsters to adapt to your different outfits.

Good on you for taking your personal safety seriously. Stay strong stay confident keep on top of training for youeself..

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #24

Liked 3702 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

Quote:
Thank you for all the advice, I am 23 years old and just now becoming a firearm owner, and after taking my CPL class I see things completely different now. After grabbing my weapon and trying out a few things, I feel hiding it inside my waistband at about the 11 o' clock grabbing with my right hand feels the most comfortable. Once I get my license this next month I will see what feels the best out and about. Thank you to everyone for all of the great ideas and input
You're on the right track.

It's refreshing to see more and more young ladies taking this step and seeing to there own safety. All us crusty gun guys applaud your foresight and wish you the best.

Tack

Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #25
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1124 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 523

My wife carries a combat commander in .45 in a Kydex holster at about the 4 o'clock position on her belt, but she has two different flashbang holsters for her .380 when wearing casual or dresses. Flashbang has several different styles that are worn differently. If you haven't seen the new line since the SHOT show, update yourself!

Purses have to be the worst place for a woman to carry due to time to draw and the liability of arming a criminal with a simple purse snatch. Remember the CCW axiom: "Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable." Also remember that it takes 21 days to make something a habit. You can't wear a new holster in a new location and decide it won't work after a day or two. Give every change three weeks and then make your decision. Like new shoes, you'll be surprised how comfortable a carry choice can be when you get past the "break-in" period.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1723 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Quote:
Ok this is a weird question, but maybe someone can help me out. I asked my CPL teacher where the best place for a woman to conceal would be, and he said my purse. What I'm worried about is what if someone steals my purse? Wouldn't it be safer to have it on my body somewhere? Any suggestions?
Jordan's Rule: Carry the same gun in the same place every time.

It's up to you to decide how to do that. I have a petite daughter aged 30, and we went through hell trying to find a way for her to conceal a handgun. Purse carry turned out to be the only way to reliably carry keeping the above rule in mind.

My own personal observation. If someone gets close enough to you to steal your purse, you need to put away the cell phone and work on your situational awareness.

I can sit in a mall for 5 minutes any day of the week and see at least three potential victims yakking or texting. Your life is more important than whoever is on the other end of the conversation. Hang up and pay attention. If you must use the phone, stop walking, put your back to a wall away from a doorway, and keep your eyes open.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6112 Times on 3703 Posts
Likes Given: 6920

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
Personally I'm a believer in the idea that if you carry concealed in public, the weapon should be on your person and accessible all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Most people, men included, have to adjust their wardrobe to accomodate a concealed weapon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
My wife carries a combat commander in .45 in a Kydex holster at about the 4 o'clock position on her belt, but she has two different flashbang holsters for her .380 when wearing casual or dresses. Flashbang has several different styles that are worn differently. If you haven't seen the new line since the SHOT show, update yourself!

Purses have to be the worst place for a woman to carry due to time to draw and the liability of arming a criminal with a simple purse snatch. Remember the CCW axiom: "Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable." Also remember that it takes 21 days to make something a habit. You can't wear a new holster in a new location and decide it won't work after a day or two. Give every change three weeks and then make your decision. Like new shoes, you'll be surprised how comfortable a carry choice can be when you get past the "break-in" period.
I agree a purse is not a good place to carry a firearm. I have a small .380 semi-auto. I also have a remora holster for it. It fits comfortably IWB or in my front, right pocket of jeans. I don't really wear tight clothing. Though, as has been said, sometimes one must change their wardrobe a little to accommodat conceal carry.

I am a firm believe your firearm should be on you, not just with you. If you should find yourself in 'a situation' are you going to be able to open your purse and draw? I highly doubt it. You may have that time.......but then again, you may not. No BG is going to give you time or opportunity to open your purse and pull anything out of it.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklarimore View Post
I know this might get some flack from some users, but here goes anyway. That video is going to get somebody killed. Showing how to move your firearm from on location to another depending on what you are wearing makes it very unlikely that the user will ever build up the muscle memory needed when the feces hits the air circulating device. No defensive firearms trainer will ever tell you this is an acceptable practice. If she had only said "Pick the one, and only the one, that works for you." I would have a whole different attitude about it.

With that said, it's a great video to show female shooters the many possibilities out there, but they should never think it is okay to change holster location based on what they feel like wearing that day.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #29

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I know this might get some flack from some users, but here goes anyway. That video is going to get somebody killed. Showing how to move your firearm from on location to another depending on what you are wearing makes it very unlikely that the user will ever build up the muscle memory needed when the feces hits the air circulating device. No defensive firearms trainer will ever tell you this is an acceptable practice. If she had only said "Pick the one, and only the one, that works for you." I would have a whole different attitude about it.

With that said, it's a great video to show female shooters the many possibilities out there, but they should never think it is okay to change holster location based on what they feel like wearing that day.
That is a serious consideration and I agree, in general.

But the practicality of women's clothes creates a problem. The clothes do change with the seasons and with the occasion. When faced with the changing wardrobe, if a woman is convinced that the gun must always be in the same place - and the occasion or clothing won't allow that - then she is left with deciding on not carrying the gun. And many women will decide this way. And possibly fall completely out of the habit of carrying - as being to much of a hassle - too restrictive.

It is much better to be armed - than not armed.

The video girl is determined to be armed at all times (if you follow her other videos you realize she is serious about carry)- and she is willing to make the changes to allow her to do that - without changing her life. She realizes that she is going to be in very different circumstances because of her life style and clothing requirements.

A personal :
I have a female friend who got her ccw, and a then number of carry type guns. She, too, is befuddled by the difficulty in carry in women's clothes. She has now, unfortunately, gotten to the point that she does not carry - because of the clothing difficulty. She has seen this girl's (Falia) excellent video. But she has not followed through with a number of different carry techniques. It's disturbing to me - because she is now not carrying.

It's better to have a gun, than not - even if it moves around. Perfection is good and I would never disagree with the muscle memory stuff. That is the ideal. But being armed - wherever - is much better than being unarmed - my opinion.

A woman can be armed. Falia's video does an excellent job of showing how it can be done - and without restricting a women's wardrobe so that she cannot do the things she really wants to do in life. It's a practically thing. If the gun causes so much trouble that the girl can't dance, or look nice, or ...etc ..., then she likely will end up hating the gun thing - and then there is no gun...

By the way, my friend dances.

My opinion; If a women feels compelled, by strong opinions from others, to always have the gun carried in the same place and the same manner (which I agree would be preferable) then she may eventually stop carrying. Not carrying is not the best.

Last edited by Colby; 03-23-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #30

Quote:
It is much better to be armed - than not armed.
I totally agree with you, but you are ruling out purse carry as an alternative, and this will effectively put the firearm in the same place every time. With a good purse designed for concealed carry many of the concerns go away. As I have said many times, by the time the girl in the video finally figures out where her firearm is she's going to look like she's doing the Macarena.

There is nothing wrong with a woman adjusting her carry method to her clothing, but do it with same place every time in mind. She can still get tops that flatter her boobs yet allow IWB carry. She can get a shoulder rig that allows her to show off her butt if that's what she wants. The problem is that she can't do both while still keeping her sidearm concealed... unless it's purse carry.

I know many women that carry NAA .22 WMR revolvers on a neck chain. It works for them, but my daughter couldn't do it. I've also seen patients that carried K frame .38 snubbies in their bras, and got away with it beautifully until my scissors came out. The point is that the firearm was in the same place all the time in these cases. That is the goal anybody that carries needs to work toward. Don't accessorize your holsters to fit your outfit. Make your outfits fit your holster.

As predominantly male firearms enthusiasts we do the women an injustice. When they ask for our advice on what they should carry we routinely give them answers dealing with caliber, reliability, and capacity. Instead of doing that we should ask them what do you think you can hide? From that point go on to work on giving them the best advice we can give for something they will actually be able to carry. My CWP instructor summed it up best. You are not going to change your lifestyle to carry a concealed weapon, so buy something you can conceal that fits your lifestyle.