Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Whats the right way to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Just takes time to get it down, I mean years. I started shooting archery before firearms. Everyone shoots with both eyes, it's also because your looking through a peep style sight. I translated it to firearms but it does sometimes get tricky. Focus on your target more than you watch the sight itself. Shooting archery I often had no aiming dot or crosshairs, the center of my scope was magnified slightly more than the outer portion. I simply stared at my target once it was in the high magnification area. I never shot better.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 706 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Here is something to try to get use to both eyes open. In competition, I blacked out the left lens of my shooting glasses. You keep both eyes open, but you will have no problem with target alignment and shooting. Once you are use to having both eyes open, try shooting with the cover removed.

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered

Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #23

Liked 974 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Growing up u always used 1 eye. Now I've discovered I love both eyes. I'm more accurate and see more around me. I was also taught that your sights should be clear and the target a little blurry. Just gotta practice practice

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter
Here is something to try to get use to both eyes open. In competition, I blacked out the left lens of my shooting glasses. You keep both eyes open, but you will have no problem with target alignment and shooting. Once you are use to having both eyes open, try shooting with the cover removed.
They make flip down patches that clip on the bill of a baseball hat as well. If you don't mind wearing a hat all the time it actually works well

Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Whichever way gets the bullet in the x-ring the most.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JD1969 Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #26

I tied both eyes open and it sucks the first 3 shoots didn't even hit the paper lol. My group was everywhere. With one eye open I can keep my grouping with in 2 inches but I always seem to shoot toward the left of where I'm aiming. I guess I just need more practice. I've only been shooting 3 months with pistol