Whats the right way to shoot?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Whats the right way to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Whats the right way to shoot?

Me and my buddy's are arguring about shooting with 1 eye open or 2 eyes open. What's the correct way 1 eye or 2 eyes open.? I shot 1 eye closed is that wrong or right? My freind shots 2 eyes open. Or is all personal choice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #2

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

I shoot both eyes fully open with a pistol, but my cross dominance (Left eye, right hand) makes this impossible with a long gun. I have to squint with my left eye when shooting rifles.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Usually both eyes open when shooting the following:
Shotgun
Pistol
Rifle with reflex or holo optic
there are exceptions, though, check out competition target shooters who use blinders.

One (dominant) eye open when shooting:
Rifle with scope or irons

My dad used to be good at shooting the bull after drinking too much with one eye scrunched shut. That was the "tell" for when the limit was reached.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #4

Liked 794 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I shoot with my left eye closed. My dad always asks how the hell I can shoot like that, but he was a Marine sniper and I can hold pretty close to what he shoots. He's a little quicker though.
I'd say it's all the same really. whatever works best for you would be the right way

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkustomz28
Me and my buddy's are arguring about shooting with 1 eye open or 2 eyes open. What's the correct way 1 eye or 2 eyes open.? I shot 1 eye closed is that wrong or right? My freind shots 2 eyes open. Or is all personal choice?
Well depends really. In a combat situation or ccw scenario, do you trully believe you'll have time to squint one eye and get on target? Absolutely not. Point and shoot. Practice this on the range. If I'm target shooting I still squint my non dominant eye because I have time to acquire my target. No stress, just point, aim and squeeze. However, I'm really trying to transition to shooting with both eyes open. That's one small reason for my EOTech on my AR, I can do just that. Little harder for me to transition that to a handgun but, I practice this a lot. Half my time shooting at the range is with both eyes open.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 07-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #6

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

I shoot with both eyes open, as a kid I closed one eye and my dad always told me not to do that so some years back I forced myself to leave both eyes open, even though I am cross eye dominant I still have much more success with both eyes open, it allows you to have a much larger field of view and allows you to get on target much faster. Here I hunt a lot of ruffed grouse and they jump and fly very fast with no warning and usually are in heavy cover, they are much easier to hit with both eyes open, we also drive whitetail deer, usually when they come out of the woods they are at a full run and they aren't going to stop anytime soon, having both eyes open has made me a much better shot on the deer as well, with scope as well as iron or peep sights.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I shoot with both eyes closed. J/k.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz

Well depends really. In a combat situation or ccw scenario, do you trully believe you'll have time to squint one eye and get on target? Absolutely not. Point and shoot. Practice this on the range. If I'm target shooting I still squint my non dominant eye because I have time to acquire my target. No stress, just point, aim and squeeze. However, I'm really trying to transition to shooting with both eyes open. That's one small reason for my EOTech on my AR, I can do just that. Little harder for me to transition that to a handgun but, I practice this a lot. Half my time shooting at the range is with both eyes open.
Never thought of that maybe should practice point and shot

Old 07-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Well depends really. In a combat situation or ccw scenario, do you trully believe you'll have time to squint one eye and get on target? Absolutely not.
It isn't the time to squint that is an issue, it is limiting your field of vision in a combat situation may result in not seeing a threat.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #10

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I tried with both eyes when I first bought my hand gun and I couldn't hit ****. I shoot great with one eye though. Maybe I should've tried a little more. Question when shooting with both eyes. Do you concentrate on target or on more lining both sights up? When I tried both sights my target was blurred with both eyes open.