What's considered too close for shooting steel targets? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

What's considered too close for shooting steel targets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82
,50 caliber...is a whole different story.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc
Holy crap!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
,50 caliber...is a whole different story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc
While the video is scary and impressive it leaves many questions. Like, what did the target look like? Was it somehow the "perfect storm" target that tossed it back up-range? I would love to know what happened simply so that I do not make the same mistake in building my targets, because that is probaly what it was. A mistake in target design, or perhaps using the wrong type of projectile. I could be wrong though.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #13

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Isn't that a disc? Those are dish shaped and curved aren't they? Some time ago I tried using a curved dozer blade as a backstop 9.22 long rifle) and got a lot of shrapnel coming back at the bench for the few rounds we fired (you could hear it flying past). I have no reason to believe it was anything that would seriously injure us but we stopped using it.

More recently we made a couple of gong targets out of flat steel plates (1/2" and 5/8 inch thick steel plate) hanging from a frame by chains. The first one is 6"X5", my son tested it out at 50 yards and 100 yards shooting CCI 20 grain FMJ .17 HMR out of a Savage Model 93R17FV. He got cratering in the target on all shots at both distances. The deepest craters are about 1/16th" deep and 1/4" wide. We will be welding the craters up and grinding them flat again in the next few days. We will not be shooting the .17 HMR at steel any more in the future (whole lot of energy in that little rascal!).

We did shoot FMJ and some old HD hollowpoints in .40S&W and cast lead .38 Special (or was it .357 mag?) both of which did not mar the steel surface in the slightest at 30 yards.

We did not have any fallout at the bench from any of the rounds fired.

This is a picture of the target before it was tested.
Yes it is a disc. We were shooting at the side curved away from us but I shot at the other side when it spun around from a couple shots. We could see the shrapnel hitting all around straight down on the gravel

Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #14

Liked 750 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
While the video is scary and impressive it leaves many questions. Like, what did the target look like? Was it somehow the "perfect storm" target that tossed it back up-range? I would love to know what happened simply so that I do not make the same mistake in building my targets, because that is probaly what it was. A mistake in target design, or perhaps using the wrong type of projectile. I could be wrong though.
I have no clue as to what those guys were up to. Looks like they were just taking an impromptu video. Their reactions all seem genuine. If it were staged I would think there would be contrived excitement type reactions....they all seem a littlle stunned.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
I have no clue as to what those guys were up to. Looks like they were just taking an impromptu video. Their reactions all seem genuine. If it were staged I would think there would be contrived excitement type reactions....they all seem a littlle stunned.
I don't really doubt the authenticity of the video, I would like to know more about why it happened.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #16

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Frangeibles : nuff said

Old 05-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I simply follow the established rules in IPSC that a minimum distance of 8m be used for shooting steel.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #18

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I was hit with a ricochett from a 45 using ball ammo shooting against a tree. It didnt penetrate, but it left a bruise. I still have the bullit. To this day, I wonder how that tree shot me back, but I learned my lesson No more trees.
As for steel, I shot the hell out of a 3/4 piece of scrapr at about 100 yards with a 223, and the rounds just pop. A 300 win mag on the same target blew a hole through the size of a quarter.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #19

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have 2 steel plates 1/2 in thick cut in 6x6 squares, both hung on shepherd hooks with the hole drilled in the steel allowing it to swing when hit. At 25 feet with a .22, 38 sp, 9mm and .40 s&w we have not had anything coming back at us. I would not shoot steel that is static mounted, in my experience the steel target needs to be able to move when hit, even a .22 will slightly move a steel plate.