Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What would be your ideal firearms training class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What would be your ideal firearms training class?

Fellow Shooters,

Thank you for ALL the valuable input on, what you are looking for in a Firearms Instructor? The response was fantastic and gave me some valuable insight. My hope is that it was beneficial to other Instructors as well.

Now that I have a better idea of what you are looking for in a Firearms Instructor. What type of training are you looking for?

In an attempt to bring my students the most Recent, Reverent and Realistic training I need your help!

What would be the ideal firearms training class?

How many hours?
How many days?
What classroom topics would you like to discuss?
What range drills would you like to do?

What do you want to learn?

How much do you want to shoot (200,300,400,500,600,700 rounds per day?)

In a (1) one day class 8 hours how would you like it split up 4 hours classroom and 4 hours on the range. 2-3 hours in the classroom 5-6 hours on the range? Or 1 hour in the class room 7 on the range?

What about (2) day courses for example (1) day Glock Armorer and (1) day on how to shoot the Glock.

Who is looking for Live fire FATS training where you are in a situation where someone is coming at you with a gun or a knife or baseball bat any you have to decide to shoot, move or communicate or you may get shot with air-soft ?

Should we combine Handgun & Shotgun together?

Should we combine Handgun & Patrol Rifle (M-4/AR-15) together?

Should we combine Hand to Hand fighting skills with a Handgun Course?

How about Weapons Retention training? ( It amazes me that when I teach this to my advanced concealed carry class they love it but have NEVER practiced it unless they were Law Enforcement.)

So please let me know what you want to learn. FYI it can also be classes you want to take at another school!
I will be sure to pass the info on to Instructors I know:

Tom Perroni
http://wwwperronitactical.com
http://wwwgoldensealenterprises.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
GDS

Tom,
I've been a member here a short time just like you. But have you bothered to read any other posts or explore the site? I get the impression that there are alot of ex military and some LE playing here. I think you are preaching to the choir. I'm sure what you have to offer is good but I don't know as if you are targeting the right audience.
I know a fat man in Sommerset NJ LE that knows you. I'm thinking my brother in-law has mentioned you before. He's some Lt. in NY.
Find the pups and non doers that won't commit to making people dead and you will have a good customer base.

What would be the ideal firearms training class? There isn't one!

How many hours? check above.
How many days? check above that.
What classroom topics would you like to discuss?
What range drills would you like to do? Exactly why are we on a range in a controlled enviroment when what we are practicing for is totally un- controlled? HMMM

What do you want to learn? A less violent way of killing.

You never know where a helping hand will come from.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I always had fun with entry and clearing. It might be useful to offer a home defense course that incorporated proper entry techniques paired with target ID and shooting.

A few thousand rounds would start to build muscle memory for those that have never experienced entry/clearing/target ID/shooting before.

You could also teach basic weapon retention and detention of a suspect as well as basic legal aspects of home defense.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
GDS

B and E ( E and C, same thing)is always fun. But I'm not sure that has anything to do with home defense. Home defense starts out with you being in your home. So if the bad guy got past the killer dogs,the alarm systems, and the booby traps and a person hasn't lit them up yet then one of two things has happened. The bad guy is really, really good. Or the person is not aware of there surroundings.

"A few thousand rounds would start to build muscle memory" I agree. The more rounds the better.

Weapon retention is a key element that I think is not addressed as often or as hard as some of the other aspects when dealing with with a hostile situation.

Detention of a suspect: To me detention and suspect don't go together. My training and believes go together: if I'm pointing a weapon at someone( suspect) I don't need to say or do anything other then put several rounds center mass.
No I'm not on the job anymore. With the "Castle Doctrine" in place at least in my part of the world, center mass is a good place to be if they are not invited.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

dcjs instructor 3/29/08

Good topic. I have taken a number of intermediate and advance pistol classes in the past and may have some input for you.
1. Number of hours per day?- anything more than eight hours and I start to lose focus. It's also nice to break the day down to alternating classroom and shooting sessions so you get a change of pace.
2. Number of days?- I like the two-day weekend format. Some of it depends on how close your range is to your customers and whether they have to overnight in a motel or can reach your range with a short drive. A one day class might suffice for a less involved class.
3. Topics? The range should cover from basic to advanced with speciality courses available. For example a basic handgun safety class, a class on how to pick a weapon (with multiple weapon types to try at the range), a handgun retention class, a class devoted to concealed carry including weapon selection and accessory gear, a home defense class, a women's only class (this was very popular and filled early where I trained),
close-quarters training including simple empty hand and close range weapons drills, and the normal defensive pistol classes.
4. I think a shooting to classroom time ratio of 70-30% might be reasonable. Some of it depends on the particular subject being taught.
5. Force on force training either included in the above classes or as a separate class is useful.
6. Combining handgun with either shotgun or rifle training- good to offer as a specialty class but may not be applicable to everyone.

Hope this helps. best wishes- oldandslow

Old 04-19-2008, 06:21 AM   #6

Excellent topic. Being part of a start-up training company, it can be quite difficult developing courses beyond the certification courses.

When taking courses and teaching courses, my preference is to split up the days into 4 segments... 2 hrs class and 2 hrs range before and after lunch. With two instructors, it gives us a chance to swap out for classroom and range preparation for each segment.

When going with that format as a student, I'm not AIC (ass-in-chair) long enough to go to sleep, and we can go eat when we're done shooting... and not sitting in class watching the clock.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a close family member who has plus20 in LE and he ramrods tac-team And he is a senior instuctor at a training facility . He always trys' to find new places and ideas to train , because you can always learn he says' . I have this great resource right in my family and I STILL don't train near as much as I could or should ! We who are not on the job have to commit and re-commit ourselves to training , it aint always fun , and it can be hard on the ego sometimes , but if you half-ass this , you're just foolin yourself , possibly to your own , and maybe some loved ones untimely end .
Train ! Train with different people , learn and train .

Practice don't make Perfect ,, Perfect Practice makes Perfect .

"What we have here , is ,, Failure to communicate,,,"

Old 04-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitya Karamazov View Post
Practice don't make Perfect ,, Perfect Practice makes Perfect .
STOLEN!

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Old 05-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #9

I wish there were more places that were training like frontsight in las vegas nevada thee most state of the art training available anywhere

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I go to a training class I like to, drum roll please, shoot. Assuming everyone knows how the gun works, trigger time is what I'm there for. Movement, different positions, malfunction drills, transition drills, you know, shooting stuff. Tactics come later, just learn how to run the gun and cope with gun problems.
Start by 8am, finish up by 5pm - I have a life and wife.
500 to 750 rounds. Remember ammo is going up and up. The price of ammo could cost you a customer if the round count is too high.
Time reaction and draw times - how close is to close?
A point sometimes overlooked, what to do if you draw on/shoot someone. It can be tense when the black and whites roll up, they don't know you or what's going on!
Be friendly!!!!!! No range Nazis allowed.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.