What would be a safe hiding place during a gun fight? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

What would be a safe hiding place during a gun fight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default locks

That was good. I have experimented with penetration before. I had a penetration board made up to show the Hunter Safety class what would happen IF?
Many say, heck all say that the little .25acp is a mouse gun and not capible of protecting you. Statistics show that the .25acp and the .22 LR are the most common guns used in killings. (recently the 9mmL has taken over to be the most common) I made up a box with pine boards each 1" from the other and 12 boards in all. The .22 LR went through the 8th and dented the 9th. The .25acp went through 4 boards and lodged in the 5th one. Now I know I am not as tough as 4 inches of pine. How about you?
Sarge

Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 for behind the engine.As long as you can keep your feet from getting shot...

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1543 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

There are as many answers to this question as there are scenarios. Car or wall? That's just one of a thousand variables. Cars have steel in them. Walls are mortar. But what about the corner of a building where two walls meet? How many guns are shooting at you? What kind of penetration do their rounds have? How skilled are the shooters? How far away are they? What other options do you have? You can train for as many possibilities as you want and you are still likely to encounter one you haven't trained for...or a variation of it.

What if you have no cover at all? Or no where to run? The quickest way to get out of an open kill zone in a close ambush is to engage the source and assault through it. It greatly lessens the time you are under fire and it surprises your attacker.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
What if you have no cover at all? Or no where to run? The quickest way to get out of an open kill zone in a close ambush is to engage the source and assault through it. It greatly lessens the time you are under fire and it surprises your attacker.
"QFT!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #25

Default places to hide

Let me throw some more in here. First of all in the Army and in war, you will be facing multiple enemy and usually on their ground. Also you may not be able to count on the calvery to come galloping into the scene in time. In this case I agree with the Marine. Attack, clear a excape route.
But now lets put us in a civilian police officers position. All he has to do is stay alive until his back up roars up. Which usually takes less than 5 min. max. Also in civilian police work the possibility of having multiple aggressors is very low. At the most you would have to contend with only as many as can be stuffed in one car. And the chance or them hanging around after they unleash a barrage of noisy gun fire is in the lower percentile. If they think they got you or they do not get any return fire they will hightail it out of the the area MOUX SNELL. (Very Quickly) Now how about the homeowner that just had a burgalar show up unexpected. He is likely to throw a few shots in your way to slow you down or make you duck so he can get away. So long sustained fire fights are so rare as hen's teeth. One should think first of cover and then of accurate return fire. Usually the first close bullet to a perp's head will cause him to remember somewhere he wanted to be.
Sarge
Sarge

Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5742 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Wait, you did not train the ones who were in the LA shootout a few years back, did you?
The bank robbery gone bad? IIRC, they started putting bullet resistant vest panels in the doors of the squad cars & issued some AR's.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 AM   #27
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1543 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
"QFT!"

I knew a Ranger/SF would get React to Near Ambush...That was even before I looked at your profile. Battle Drill #3 in your book. I forget what it is in ours.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you find your self in a parking lot or something and someone opens fire, mugger, crazy person, angry ex... etc. One of the most obvious places to hide is behind a car but you really only can use part of the car as a cover from bullets. The 45 ACP will go through both sides of a car door, from test they've even gone through both side of the car. So if your sneaking around ya the car will cover you. The best chance is to put you body behind the engine block.

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 01-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

you may want to check out this site as it has a wealth of interesting penetration--"boxof truth
The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #30

Default Box of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
you may want to check out this site as it has a wealth of interesting penetration--"boxof truth
The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth
Yepp I regularly read their entres. Most of my posts are from my own personaly experience. Some are from training at Police Academies. Others are from articles I read that are from genuine real people not armchair commandos.
Sarge

Sarge