What Type of Hearing Protection do YOU Prefer? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What Type of Hearing Protection do YOU Prefer?

View Poll Results: What Type of Hearing Protection do YOU Prefer?
Plugs 13 30.95%
Muffs 13 30.95%
Both 15 35.71%
Say What? 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
i love my ability to hear....still enjoy playing some instruments and do not want any premature hearing loss.

for now i go with those peltor combat plugs -green side for indoor and yellow side for outdoor and then just about any pair of muffs over those will do.

i'd like to get those custom molded ones too but havent been able to locate the guy around here that does them, i heard he can be spotted at some local gun shows, just havent found him yet.
They will cost more but to get the best ones go to your ENT if you don't have an ENT ask your regular doc to give you a name.

Welcome to Westone | Westone

From all of my research Everything leads to westone being the best. I have about 30 to 40% hearing loss over all and I tend keep it right there. I prefer being able to hear people and I really suck at learing new languages to sign language for me would be a complete pain in the ares.

the guy at the gun show is not the guy to go too for custom molded ear plugs. It needs to be done by a professional that knows the workings of the ear inner middle and outer. That would be an audiologist....

When my son stops growing he christmas or birthday present will be a set of custom molded westone ear plugs.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10100 Times on 4355 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

For whoever uses nothing, after a while you can just turn off your hearing aid.

I wear muffs for 22s, and muffs/ plugs for anything bigger. Only exception is a suppressed .22. Have seen my audiograms- too many years of military ranges back in the day when you did not use plugs. Want to keep what I have left.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I personally like the "new" electronic ear muffs.

If you get a quality pair they work great and are adjustable.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3482 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't take any chances. If I am pistol shooting, I use foam inserts that rate about 32-33dB and then I add electonic ear muffs over those. Especially when I am indoors. Reverb is a bitch.

When I am shooting my rifles, it's always outdoors and I always use my foam inserts. IF I can also get behind the trigger with my electronic ear muffs, I use them.

Your hearing is an amazing resource and needs to be protected.

JD

Old 04-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #15

Liked 152 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
They will cost more but to get the best ones go to your ENT if you don't have an ENT ask your regular doc to give you a name.

From all of my research Everything leads to westone being the best. I have about 30 to 40% hearing loss over all and I tend keep it right there. I prefer being able to hear people and I really suck at learing new languages to sign language for me would be a complete pain in the ares.

the guy at the gun show is not the guy to go too for custom molded ear plugs. It needs to be done by a professional that knows the workings of the ear inner middle and outer. That would be an audiologist....

When my son stops growing he christmas or birthday present will be a set of custom molded westone ear plugs.
thanks cpttango30.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

I too use the westone plugs. There is nothing as comfortable as a plug that was custom made for your ears.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #17
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've used the foam plugs all my life, not only for shooting but when I worked in refineries as well. They have always worked great for me, but I think it's getting time to move up to the custom molded ones.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I like the plugs on the plastic band. Easy to put on and take off and almost free to replace plugs.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #19

Muffs for me...the plugs start to irritate with all the sweating that goes on in the Spring & Summer time. I live in a very hot state.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:59 AM   #20

my hearing is crazy sensitive and if I've learned anything it's that muffs aren't good enough.
I'm using both inside and outside. I think if I was alone outside I could probably get away with one or the other, but I have to go to a range and someone is always shooting something larget than I am