What is the most practical defensive shooting stance? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What is the most practical defensive shooting stance?

View Poll Results: What is the most practical defensive shooting stance?
Isosceles 7 17.50%
Weaver 2 5.00%
Modified Weaver 13 32.50%
Other (please post) 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmitty1 View Post
Uh-Oh SHTF.....Attacker advancing, I back up trying to create distance. I fall backwards over the unseen parking block/curb. BG is still coming. I engage the threat and shoot from the pavement laying flat on my back.

What stance am I in?

I BUH-LEEE-UV you'd be in the "Roscoe P. Col-Trane" stance (opening credits of Dukes of Hazzard).

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 03-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #22

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
This is not geared towards target shooting, rather what you believe is the most practical defensive shooting stance?

you forgot "bob and weave."

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 03-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
you may not always have a choice of stances in defensive shooting you may even be sitting in your car. I would take the stance that offers the smallest target for my opponent to hit. I chose other.
couldnt agree more.

Home Invasion...I've got something for that!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm solidly in the "other" group. It is one thing to be able to take a structured stance on the range shooting at paper targets, but when the SHTF, you may find yourself on your arse, or otherwise not standing and needing to fire. Knowing how to hit a bulls eye is great training, but in a combat situation you may not be able to get into your preferred stance. Learn the various "approved" stances by all means, but don't get locked into not being able to shoot in other, awkward positions. Practice shooting one handed and using your support hand only, as well as shooting behind you and prone & supine behind cover. Be creative, think and shoot outside of the box.

If you don't practice those methods, you may hesitate a micro-second when needed and come in 2nd place.

I tend to be a bit of a butt-head on this issue and any instructor who tells you there is only one way to shoot, needs to go back to school.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 05-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

The Isosceles is the most natural fighting stance with a pistol, and under stress most shooters will use it even if they've never been taught to do so in actual shootings.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #26

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I can't believe I missed this post.

First, the poll is asking what static form do you use in a dynamic situation. There is only one answer to that enigma, no static form works in a dynamic action.

You MUST adapt! You MUST run the OODA Loop. Observe, Orient, Decide, and Act. It takes ~0.25 of a second to cycle through this decision making process. In a dynamic action this is a continuous loop. How well you process this loop will determine how long you live. You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it.

If you have been in Condition Yellow (Heightened Situational Awareness), the following will be unnecessary, but, if not, then:

1. Proximity negates skill. Unless the BG has a rifle, distance is your force multiplier. Lateral and diagonal movement is preferred. If the bad guy is in range, so are you. Mr. Myagi says; "Best way no get hit is no be there."
  2. Wyatt Earp was a moron! Use cover and concealment to your advantage, Know the difference! (ie. drywall is great for concealment, as cover, not so much.) The only visible target should be in your sights.
  3. Drop the one with the shotgun first!
  4. The first to score a good hit usually wins. A vital zone hit will usually take the fight out of your opponent. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
  5. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
  6. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.
  7. In the first seconds of quiet, always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.
  8. Always carry enough ammo. Plan on having one full mag when the gunfight ends.
  9. Keep shooting until the threat is stopped; then stay sharp until somebody with a badge tells you to freeze.
  10. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get. Fire until the felon falls. Before you quit the fight, be sure the fight is finished!
  11. Anything you do can get you shot, including nothing.
  12. If your opponents didn't have the courtesy to "Count Off!" before beginning, assume that there's one more somewhere.
  13. Someday someone may kill me but you can bet when they do, I'll be standing knee deep in brass!

Let's face it, >90% of personal defense actions are in close quarters. Bad breath close. Chances are you will be fending off a gun or knife attack with your weak-side arm while you blow-out the dirt-bag's heart with your gun only inches from your holster. That's close, personal close, high velocity blood spatter close, GSR burns close.....OK, you get it!

Bad breath close does NOT provide the shooter the luxury of a "good stance"......ever!

The fighting law:
  • The purpose of fighting is to win.
  • There is no possible victory in defense.
  • The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
  • The final weapon is the brain.
  • All else is supplemental.

Be safe out there. - cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 08-20-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #27

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Yup. I would say you purdy much nailed it there Cane.

TU

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #28

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

First off, Cane said it right.

I generally practice from isosceles, but when it comes down to it, fluid thoughts and motion will interpret what stance/position I am firing from when SHTF. When I get the chance, I always practice shooting from cover. And, I don't just stand there and with my coconut hanging out in the open. I slice the pie, shoot from a standing position, a kneeling position, and prone.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

One where you don't fall on your butt. Seriously though, you have to be flexible and adapt to whatever situation you are in. What works in one situation may not work in another. If you have to always be in one certain stance, you are going to fail.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

NO STANCE is the best stance.

Any instructor who tells you one stance is the ultimate is full of crap.

You need to find what works best for you, and in a critical incident, what WILL work best for you is what your body does naturally.

For example:

You WILL be startled in a SD incident. Your body will naturally square off to the target. That's what your body does. Your hands WILL go up to protect your face (actually your eyes)...this is hard wired into your DNA. Your eyes are what "your brain says is most important", therefore your body is programmed by nature to protect your eyes.

DON'T FEAR THE STARTLE RESPONSE...it will happen...practice it so it doesn't slow you down.

As you are now squared to the target (or threat), your hands are up to protect your eyes, you will now go down for your gun. That's okay. Work with your body.

Your feet should naturally be about shoulder width apart, leaning forward into the threat with your weight over your flexed knees, and you will be squared off too the threat....that's what the body does. Naturally, your body will lower it's center of gravity (COG) to gain balance and put your core into a fighting position.

From here your gun should come out of the holster, extend straight to the target, meeting your support hand (I hate the term WEAK HAND) driving to the target as your finger contacts the trigger, so that when your arms are at full extension to the threat you are ready to break the shot RIGHT THE **** NOW !
Rob Pincus said it best..."EXTEND - TOUCH - PRESS"

All of the other so-called fighting stances are FANTASTIC if you have the time to get into them, making sure you are all tucked in and whatnot. The are AWESOME on the square range...but in a real gun fight (been there) you will do what your body does naturally so work with it.

You WILL be able to put the hits you need to get on the threat FAST. It will get faster every time you practice.

From the holster, on a random start from the timer or "UP" command from a range partner, I can go from loose ready (hands at sides) to putting 3 rounds into the target in 1.15 ~ 1.20 seconds on average. My best time was .97 seconds from the french position (IDPA or USPSA "surrender" position") to put three on target.

Having to program yourself into doing things your body won't do naturally is, to my mind, totally unproductive or very smart.

Students ask me the same question ALL the time. I give and demonstrate the same answer I just gave you. Hits go up dramatically as time comes down.

Remember...in a fight, bullets WILL be coming from the wrong direction.