Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What is the most practical defensive shooting stance?

View Poll Results: What is the most practical defensive shooting stance?
Isosceles 7 17.50%
Weaver 2 5.00%
Modified Weaver 13 32.50%
Other (please post) 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Reading the posts. it seems we all have different understanding/definition of what the stances are (I am confused myself). I agree with most posted...it just seems we are saying the same thing in different languages. LOL

I understand the need to shift/adapt to the situation. Bottom line, I want to practice what I will most likely use in "dynamic" emergency situation...do not care much about perfect target groupings if I cannot carry that over in real emergency situation.

I guess I have to look more at IDPA type training, not just range shooting.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i think modified weaver is the most natural. it's what i developed on my own when i was first starting. only years later did i realize what it was. exposing yourself to as many different techniques and scenerios as possible will be helpful when it comes time to use what you've learned.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverGunner View Post
i think modified weaver is the most natural. it's what i developed on my own when i was first starting. only years later did i realize what it was. exposing yourself to as many different techniques and scenerios as possible will be helpful when it comes time to use what you've learned.
Same is happening to me while shooting. I start consciously with Iso and finding myself unconsciously shifting to a modified Weaver...including my leg position especially when I am doing "rapid fire".

Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #14

I don't think enough people practice point shooting and shooting from the hip.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 02-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #15

Uh-Oh SHTF.....Attacker advancing, I back up trying to create distance. I fall backwards over the unseen parking block/curb. BG is still coming. I engage the threat and shoot from the pavement laying flat on my back.

What stance am I in?

Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmitty1 View Post
Uh-Oh SHTF.....Attacker advancing, I back up trying to create distance. I fall backwards over the unseen parking block/curb. BG is still coming. I engage the threat and shoot from the pavement laying flat on my back.

What stance am I in?
A bad one. You have to make do, adjust and adapt but that is not what this poll is about (we cannot cover everything).

Old 02-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSmitty1 View Post
What stance am I in?
One that encourages the use of kevlar undies, with plates.

Your poll might go better with pics of the various stances for those of us ignorant in the terminology related to proper positioning and posture for a shootout.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #18

The point of my reply is this.....

Defensively, the situation will more than likely determine what stance or partial stance you will use.

Laying on my back I would be using a portion of the Isosceles triangle.

If I was being robbed at gun point for my wallet, and I made the decision to respond with deadly force instead of handing over my wallet, I might be using a modified weaver.

I voted other, but I prefer Isosceles.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #19

Here's one of the problems with the Isoseles and Weaver. It's that whole push pull thing with the weapon. Every time you shoot your arm, elbow and push/pull is going to be a little different. It also depends on if your using a semi or revolver. Using the glock grip which is a push/push or squeezing of the pistol gives you more of a consistent grip everytime. It also ensures, with practice, your shots are more successful on target, because the weapon is at the same place every time you squeeze the trigger. Both arms straight out and slightly bent at the elbow, in front of you. My department previously used the Weaver, I can't break some of the older officers from using it, but the one's who transition to the glock grip and FI stance consistently score 15-20 points higher than their previous scores. I know I'm talking range stuff here, but what you practice, is what you do under stress.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #20

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default "Other"

The "proper" is far too situation oriented to be pre-determined.

I like the Weaver, but if my assailant has his hands on my throat, I'll improvise.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/