Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   What is the most practical defensive shooting stance? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/what-most-practical-defensive-shooting-stance-38948/)

Poink88 02-25-2011 02:34 AM

What is the most practical defensive shooting stance?

This is not geared towards target shooting, rather what you believe is the most practical defensive shooting stance?

rjd3282 02-25-2011 03:46 AM

you may not always have a choice of stances in defensive shooting you may even be sitting in your car. I would take the stance that offers the smallest target for my opponent to hit. I chose other.

dunerunner 02-25-2011 03:52 AM

Modified Weaver on the range for me, since targets don't shoot back!! In practicality, the most stable combat stance I can manage given the circumstances.

jeepcreep927 02-25-2011 03:54 AM

If it's purely "defensive", I would pick the one that makes me as far away from, and as small as possible to, the attacker.

If there are no other options and it's game on, a very aggressive isosceles while advancing. Natural instinct is to turn away if someone's throwing things at you (watch kids playing sports) but unlike getting drilled with a soccer ball or hockey puck, a bullet in the back or under the armpit isn't going to hurt any less, or do any less damage, than one in the anterior. I'd rather maintain eyes on my target. More so if wearing body armor as it's the first piece of cover.

Gatekeeper 02-25-2011 04:20 AM

Iso. Squared, aggressive stance, knees slightly bent, weight on balls of the feet, arms extended. A very natural, and neutral position to assume that allows for good movement in any direction.

CA357 02-25-2011 04:38 AM

I vote for the Missionary position because I'm getting the f**k out of there.

pandamonium 02-25-2011 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 452896)
I vote for the Missionary position because I'm getting the f**k out of there.

That was effin funny as all git out!!! Now I gotta clean the beer offa my monitor!!

To me it would be whatever I can get to hit the target.

LeverGunner 02-25-2011 05:06 AM

modified weaver is the best shooting stance for me, the best spot to be is behind the swat team

polo196 02-25-2011 06:00 AM

Check youtube for the Glock stance. It is basically the base tactical position Police Officers use, often called an FI stance. It gives you a good center of balance and the ability to be mobile, it also enables you to engage targets laterally.

Also IMHO, there is no such thing as a defensive shooting stance. The moment rounds start flying you should be on the offense and moving towards the target while engaging with superior fire suppression and accurate marksmanship.

RairWeatherSmok 02-25-2011 02:07 PM

Me, I'm going to be moving and hiding behind WHATEVER is available until I get off a shot from behind it.