What is important in a forest/urban/snow/swamp environemnt ? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What is important in a forest/urban/snow/swamp environemnt ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1934 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 2747

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoobee View Post
cindy you are about 10 years too old for him.

:d
lol.............

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #32

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First off, thanks to the guys helping out, there were some interesting things that definitely helped out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The M4 is strictly a CQB weapon. Unfortunately as a short carbine, it is not fit for much of any other purpose.

The USMC has already partially retired it by replacing 3 out of 4 fire team grunts with 2 old M-16's and an M-14 per team.

The US Army will someday soon discard it completely, now that it's principal theatre (of war) was Iraq.

With your fascination for violent video games, I hope you don't turn into another Sandy Hook or Aurora shooter. In the meantime, get out and go jogging and do some sit ups and pull ups and get ready for the infantry in case you can't do anything else out of high school.

I do not understand where this talk is coming from. Is my english so bad
that I sound like a child ?

I am 24 and a professional developer, working as game designer and user experience architect, easily one of the best of my age.
The games industry is larger than hollywood, and those are very hard jobs requiring insane amounts of knowledge and experience.

So I am here, asking for experiences of other people because I want my designs to be as good as possible.

I need a girlfriend because I ask for opinions while doing a difficult job
that is mainly done on computers ?
What i think is ironic is that we are here on a forum that is mainly populated
by people doing shooting or are interested in guns as their hobby. Do you see the irony there ?

"get ready for the infantry in case you can't do anything else out of high school"

I see this all started as a little joke and I surely can take some fun, but this is a downright insult.
Ive been to an experimental school in luxemburg, and did an 3 years arts
degree in the best school of the country, and now have a bachelor in game design, and I did work harder and faster than anyone else,
and Im easily 5 years ahead of anyone of similar degree in my age. I have been art director at 2 projects so far.
I could easily cross over to the movie industry or pretty much any related industry If I wanted.
Keep looking down from your high horse.

Then we got some very short minded implications here

People doing a office job dont have boy/girlfriends ?
People doing a office job dont do sport ?

Do you realize how stupid this sounds ?

For the record, I have a girlfriend and Im currently at 94kg at low body fat.

I have a fascination for violent video games ? Where do I say that ?
So you imply a game about shooting weapons is violent ? So shooting
weapons is a cause, coming from the desire to violence in your opinion ? ..

Games are a form of entertainment, and usually far less violent than the movies you let your kids watch at 8. They are designed as a interactive
experience that is fun, challenging, showing you worlds, telling you stories and let you do things you could never experience else.

Then we have the very bold and very short minded implication that video games are in any way related to people shooting other people.
Im not getting into detail here, here is just common sense and very basic human logic needed.
In case you do not know, the current and past surroundings of those individuals cause those outbreaks nothing more nothing less.
Blaming video games on people running amok is more than silly and just searching a scapegoat that is only accepted by people having absolutely no clue or just want
to have something to blame that doesn't interfere with their interests.

Please. You should feel ashamed.

Last edited by Sunofabeach; 07-07-2014 at 04:53 AM.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2695 Times on 1873 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

You have no idea what you just started

Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #34
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7802 Times on 4229 Posts
Likes Given: 16514

Might as well close it now.

No offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

clr8ter Likes This 
Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #35

Liked 1934 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 2747

Keep your shirt on.......Dang....With all them credentials, seems like you would be smart enough to figer out were just messin wit-cha......

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #36

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

In any environment:

1. water
2. food
3. shelter
4. The ability to access and protect 1-3.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 07-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #37

Liked 1131 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 740

Quote:
You are encountering resistance because people here like to shoot REAL guns. As a group, we tend to frown upon people who have no real-world experience with them, but instead choose to sit on their asses playing video games. THAT'S childish. Video games are for kids, not men. (Or women)

I personally have not encountered this, as I tend to hang with the real guns crowd, but it's looked down upon even more when above mentioned people spout Sh!t about guns like they actually know something. They seem to be lumped in with Mall Ninjas. (Another group I have not had much contact with) Playing video games teaches you very little about guns. If you want to learn something here, ask a lot of questions and then apply what you've learned, and go out and buy a gun and go shoot it! With the job you brag about, money shouldn't be a problem.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #38
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunofabeach View Post
First off, thanks to the guys helping out, there were some interesting things that definitely helped out!

I am 24 and a professional developer, working as game designer and user experience architect, easily one of the best of my age.
The games industry is larger than hollywood, and those are very hard jobs requiring insane amounts of knowledge and experience.

So I am here, asking for experiences of other people because I want my designs to be as good as possible.

I need a girlfriend because I ask for opinions while doing a difficult job
that is mainly done on computers ?
What i think is ironic is that we are here on a forum that is mainly populated
by people doing shooting or are interested in guns as their hobby. Do you see the irony there ?

"get ready for the infantry in case you can't do anything else out of high school"

I see this all started as a little joke but this is a downright insult.
Ive been to an experimental school in luxemburg, and did an 3 years arts
degree in the best school of the country, and now have a bachelor in game design, and I did work harder and faster than anyone else,
and Im easily 5 years ahead of anyone of similar degree in my age. I have been art director at 2 projects so far.
I could easily cross over to the movie industry or pretty much any related industry If I wanted.
Keep looking down from your high horse.

Then we got some very short minded implications here

People doing a office job dont have boy/girlfriends ?
People doing a office job dont do sport ?

Do you realize how stupid this sounds ?

For the record, I have a girlfriend and Im currently at 94kg at low body fat.

I have a fascination for violent video games ? Where do I say that ?
So you imply a game about shooting weapons is violent ? So shooting
weapons is a cause from the desire to violence in your opinion ? ..

Games are a form of entertainment, and usually far less violent than the movies are you let your kids watch at 8. They are designed as a interactive
experience that is fun, challenging and are showing you worlds and do things you could never experience else.

Then we have the very bold and very short minded implication that video games are in any way related to people shooting other people. Im not getting into detail here, thats just common sense and basic human logic.
In case you do not know, the surrounding of those individuals cause those outbreaks nothing more nothing less.

I do not think im the one acting childish here.
Probably would have helped us out a bit if you had established your bona fides with your first post. All to often we see people pop in here who ask similar questions who do not have the background that you have. My apologies for contributing to the child play.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-07-2014, 01:54 AM   #39
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6031 Times on 3161 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunofabeach View Post
Hey guys

Im a game designer, and I would appreciate some input about different weapon roles in different environments

Im working on giving basically every weapon in the game different variants
and they all have a certain theme

- Desert
- Winter
- Urban
- Forest
- Night
- Naval
- Fall

Means there is a M4 as example, and it has a variant for each of those
settings.

Now i struggle a bit finding the problems such a environment brings as ive
never been in war under these situations or such.

As example, I have something I really like for the desert theme;
"Conservation" , giving the weapon more spare ammo, but reduced magazine
capacity, pointing to "saving food, water, ammo" and being careful with what you have.

All those things dont have be to exactly realistic but plausible, and I would be helped a lot with some experiences you would have or can imagine in one of these environments.

I know that winter is cold, but how does that effect the weapon ?
I also heard people needed weapons with higher caliber in the jungle as 5.56
would always be stuck in the plants

Oh, and where would you want to have the possibility to fire semi / 3rnd burst the most (implying you can only have one firemode (full, semi, or 3rnd)

I hope to hear from your experiences / thoughts : )
magazine capacity doesnt change from one location to another. a 30 round m16 magazine holds 30 rounds and functions just fine in the desert swamp arctic urban or outer space.

cold heat humidity requires different types and quantities of lubricant to function in those environments. cold affects optics with batteries adversly in that batteries do not last as long or the optic may not work at all. different types of batteries work better in the cold than others. doubleA type are very susceptible to cold. lithium ion less so.

optics like the acog do not use batteries and illuminate in any light level.

going from indoor warm to outdoor freezing lenses fog up or freeze over with crystals of ice.

in extreme cold your breath will easily fog an optical lens.

rate of fire in civilian firearms is always semi never bust or full auto.

i avoid games that get weapons wrong or take "artistic" license with equipment that works different than real life for game mechanics.

whomever your lead design is, is ill-advised to monkey with rifle mechanics like capacity and function based on weather and climate.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 508 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 167

One thing to consider,, the technology used by the military today is out in the ozone layer compared to what many of us older members here used when we were in the service. I was in the U.S.M.C. back in the mid and late 70's, if your team had a radio on patrol, you were lucky. My brother in law is a Sgt. Major, still on active duty, the personal electronics, body armor, command and control devices, etc.,, are unbelievable now days. A pack, rifle, c-rats, ammo, an e-tool , was about as high tech as we got back then,, move fast, hit hard, move fast again. Weapons and tactics have evolved immensely due to this technology , the issues that you question are very relative to the training and era of service.