What is important in a forest/urban/snow/swamp environemnt ?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What is important in a forest/urban/snow/swamp environemnt ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 7
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What is important in a forest/urban/snow/swamp environemnt ?

Hey guys

Im a game designer, and I would appreciate some input about different weapon roles in different environments

Im working on giving basically every weapon in the game different variants
and they all have a certain theme

- Desert
- Winter
- Urban
- Forest
- Night
- Naval
- Fall

Means there is a M4 as example, and it has a variant for each of those
settings.

Now i struggle a bit finding the problems such a environment brings as ive
never been in war under these situations or such.

As example, I have something I really like for the desert theme;
"Conservation" , giving the weapon more spare ammo, but reduced magazine
capacity, pointing to "saving food, water, ammo" and being careful with what you have.

All those things dont have be to exactly realistic but plausible, and I would be helped a lot with some experiences you would have or can imagine in one of these environments.

I know that winter is cold, but how does that effect the weapon ?
I also heard people needed weapons with higher caliber in the jungle as 5.56
would always be stuck in the plants

Oh, and where would you want to have the possibility to fire semi / 3rnd burst the most (implying you can only have one firemode (full, semi, or 3rnd)

I hope to hear from your experiences / thoughts : )

Last edited by Sunofabeach; 06-28-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Sunofabeach is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rn-cindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Working off the rent...on RGs farm S/W OhiO
Posts: 2,622
Liked 3143 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 4630

Default

I think you need to get a Girlfriend......
__________________
Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....
rn-cindy is offline  
7
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
I think you need to get a Girlfriend......
or several!
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rn-cindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Working off the rent...on RGs farm S/W OhiO
Posts: 2,622
Liked 3143 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 4630

Default

Just kidding.......Welcome to the forum.....
__________________
Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....
rn-cindy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,007
Liked 353 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunofabeach View Post
Hey guys

Im a game designer, and I would appreciate some input about different weapon roles in different environments

Im working on giving basically every weapon in the game different variants
and they all have a certain theme

- Desert
- Winter
- Urban
- Forest
- Night
- Naval
- Fall

Means there is a M4 as example, and it has a variant for each of those
settings.

Now i struggle a bit finding the problems such a environment brings as ive
never been in war under these situations or such.

As example, I have something I really like for the desert theme;
"Conservation" , giving the weapon more spare ammo, but reduced magazine
capacity, pointing to "saving food, water, ammo" and being careful with what you have.

All those things dont have be to exactly realistic but plausible, and I would be helped a lot with some experiences you would have or can imagine in one of these environments.

I know that winter is cold, but how does that effect the weapon ?
I also heard people needed weapons with higher caliber in the jungle as 5.56
would always be stuck in the plants

Oh, and where would you want to have the possibility to fire semi / 3rnd burst the most (implying you can only have one firemode (full, semi, or 3rnd)

I hope to hear from your experiences / thoughts : )
The only thing that will kill anything in North America is a magnum hunting rifle.

But if you are worried about 2 legged predators, you need a pistol and a carbine.
Shoobee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,372
Liked 2220 Times on 1315 Posts
Likes Given: 1151

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The only thing that will kill anything in North America is a magnum hunting rifle.

But if you are worried about 2 legged predators, you need a pistol and a carbine.
My 35 Whelen is not a Mag and it will handle anything in NA!!!
__________________
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dearhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Charleston, SC,South Carolina
Posts: 1,504
Liked 1197 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Default

Best all around weapon for all terrains and weather conditions is a 12 gauge shotgun. You can load it with various type ammo from bird shot to 00 buck and slugs.
__________________
US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings, P2V plane capt.
US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) NDW shooting team member and a lot more stuff!
Alway keep your six covered
Dearhunter is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rn-cindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Working off the rent...on RGs farm S/W OhiO
Posts: 2,622
Liked 3143 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 4630

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
My 35 Whelen is not a Mag and it will handle anything in NA!!!
I think a 30-30 lever gun will drop just about anything in North America out to about 100yrds...And i dont think it's considered a 'Magnum" round....?
__________________
Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....
rn-cindy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rn-cindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Working off the rent...on RGs farm S/W OhiO
Posts: 2,622
Liked 3143 Times on 1615 Posts
Likes Given: 4630

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Best all around weapon for all terrains and weather conditions is a 12 gauge shotgun. You can load it with various type ammo from bird shot to 00 buck and slugs.
Thats true...But i learned the hard way, trap shooting in the winter/snow, The action on your pump gun will freeze up between rounds...Rendering it in-operatable...until you thaw it out on the dash/defrost in your truck...Snow melting off the hot barrel ran into every crack and crevis....Sucker froze up solid......
__________________
Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....
rn-cindy is offline  
winds-of-change Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 17,874
Liked 10406 Times on 4488 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

Default

From a military gaming view, RANGE has to be a strong consideration. Jungle- how far do you think you can see- compared to urban, compared to desert?

Second- penetration. 5.56 does not do badly in jungle (banana tree= bunch of celery) but in an urban environment, where you have shooters using cover (as opposed to concealment) it does not do as well.

Third- movement. Which will impact how much ammo you can carry. I can carry a lot more 5.56 than I can 30-06 or 7.62 NATO. In a mech infantry outfit, not as much of an issue as in Light Infantry/ Recon, Spec Ops, etc.

As said- do not overlook the shotgun. At 60 yds or less, a very useful firearm. As is the 40mm grenade launcher (see also M203) at 30-500 yards.
__________________
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Flowers of the Forest...in memory of RiverRat DFlynt The Club House 177 07-22-2013 11:21 AM
Cc in a pa state forest? cgullo83 Legal and Activism 6 06-10-2013 11:35 PM
Shooting in Uwharrie National Forest tCan General Rifle Discussion 6 05-04-2012 02:42 PM
Lost in the Ozark Forest sarge_257 Hunting Forum 31 11-21-2010 01:39 AM
Rotting in a Swamp, Tied to a Swamp Benning Boy The Club House 28 02-08-2010 06:20 PM



Newest Threads