Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   What is important in a forest/urban/snow/swamp environemnt ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/what-important-forest-urban-snow-swamp-environemnt-108246/)

Sunofabeach 06-28-2014 06:56 PM

What is important in a forest/urban/snow/swamp environemnt ?

Hey guys

Im a game designer, and I would appreciate some input about different weapon roles in different environments

Im working on giving basically every weapon in the game different variants
and they all have a certain theme

- Desert
- Winter
- Urban
- Forest
- Night
- Naval
- Fall

Means there is a M4 as example, and it has a variant for each of those
settings.

Now i struggle a bit finding the problems such a environment brings as ive
never been in war under these situations or such.

As example, I have something I really like for the desert theme;
"Conservation" , giving the weapon more spare ammo, but reduced magazine
capacity, pointing to "saving food, water, ammo" and being careful with what you have.

All those things dont have be to exactly realistic but plausible, and I would be helped a lot with some experiences you would have or can imagine in one of these environments.

I know that winter is cold, but how does that effect the weapon ?
I also heard people needed weapons with higher caliber in the jungle as 5.56
would always be stuck in the plants

Oh, and where would you want to have the possibility to fire semi / 3rnd burst the most (implying you can only have one firemode (full, semi, or 3rnd)

I hope to hear from your experiences / thoughts : )

rn-cindy 06-28-2014 07:02 PM

I think you need to get a Girlfriend......:D

Axxe55 06-28-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rn-cindy (Post 1596958)
I think you need to get a Girlfriend......:D

or several!:p

rn-cindy 06-28-2014 07:19 PM

Just kidding.......Welcome to the forum.....:)

Shoobee 06-28-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunofabeach (Post 1596953)
Hey guys

Im a game designer, and I would appreciate some input about different weapon roles in different environments

Im working on giving basically every weapon in the game different variants
and they all have a certain theme

- Desert
- Winter
- Urban
- Forest
- Night
- Naval
- Fall

Means there is a M4 as example, and it has a variant for each of those
settings.

Now i struggle a bit finding the problems such a environment brings as ive
never been in war under these situations or such.

As example, I have something I really like for the desert theme;
"Conservation" , giving the weapon more spare ammo, but reduced magazine
capacity, pointing to "saving food, water, ammo" and being careful with what you have.

All those things dont have be to exactly realistic but plausible, and I would be helped a lot with some experiences you would have or can imagine in one of these environments.

I know that winter is cold, but how does that effect the weapon ?
I also heard people needed weapons with higher caliber in the jungle as 5.56
would always be stuck in the plants

Oh, and where would you want to have the possibility to fire semi / 3rnd burst the most (implying you can only have one firemode (full, semi, or 3rnd)

I hope to hear from your experiences / thoughts : )

The only thing that will kill anything in North America is a magnum hunting rifle.

But if you are worried about 2 legged predators, you need a pistol and a carbine.

JimRau 06-28-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoobee (Post 1596983)
The only thing that will kill anything in North America is a magnum hunting rifle.

But if you are worried about 2 legged predators, you need a pistol and a carbine.

My 35 Whelen is not a Mag and it will handle anything in NA!!!:p

Dearhunter 06-28-2014 09:27 PM

Best all around weapon for all terrains and weather conditions is a 12 gauge shotgun. You can load it with various type ammo from bird shot to 00 buck and slugs.

rn-cindy 06-28-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau (Post 1596995)
My 35 Whelen is not a Mag and it will handle anything in NA!!!:p

I think a 30-30 lever gun will drop just about anything in North America out to about 100yrds...And i dont think it's considered a 'Magnum" round....?

rn-cindy 06-28-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearhunter (Post 1597002)
Best all around weapon for all terrains and weather conditions is a 12 gauge shotgun. You can load it with various type ammo from bird shot to 00 buck and slugs.

Thats true...But i learned the hard way, trap shooting in the winter/snow, The action on your pump gun will freeze up between rounds...Rendering it in-operatable...until you thaw it out on the dash/defrost in your truck...Snow melting off the hot barrel ran into every crack and crevis....Sucker froze up solid......:mad:

c3shooter 06-28-2014 09:58 PM

From a military gaming view, RANGE has to be a strong consideration. Jungle- how far do you think you can see- compared to urban, compared to desert?

Second- penetration. 5.56 does not do badly in jungle (banana tree= bunch of celery) but in an urban environment, where you have shooters using cover (as opposed to concealment) it does not do as well.

Third- movement. Which will impact how much ammo you can carry. I can carry a lot more 5.56 than I can 30-06 or 7.62 NATO. In a mech infantry outfit, not as much of an issue as in Light Infantry/ Recon, Spec Ops, etc.

As said- do not overlook the shotgun. At 60 yds or less, a very useful firearm. As is the 40mm grenade launcher (see also M203) at 30-500 yards.