Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What do you do for defense training?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

While this is not defensive gun related it is defensive training. I've learned in 34 years of marriage that my wife has an excellent throwing arm and could give Randy Johnson a run for his money. Any time I hear something whistling through the air - I duck - fast...

Old 02-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Darin, thanks for the info on the 5 point draw, very good stuff going on here! Please feel free to share more stuff here in the training forum, I got my sponge thing on and I'm soakin it up!

That last will probably find it's way to the freudian slips thread!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #23

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hopefully when I have time I am going to post some course of fire stuff tonight.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #24

This guy has a free video series on this page. Drawing, shooting videos start on page two or three of his articles. The articles are videos. May be helpful to some. I enjoyed them.

Lee Laster | eHow.com

His Bio:
Lee Laster lives in Western Massachusetts & works in the public safety sector. He has been a state certified firearms instructor for the past 6 years. He is also co-founder of Upperhand Home Defense Options & Consultants, a civilian/law enforcement-based training company he & his partner started in 2006.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

1. Krotty, lots o krotty
2. Watch 'The Best Defense' weekly
3. I have an iPhone
4. P90x
5. I watch UFC
6. I have a gun.......in a safe.......in the other room. (it's not loaded)

Bring it!!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #26

This was the standard course of fire for qualification when I was working. Keep in mind this course was designed to see if the officers were proficient enough to continue carrying a weapon. Every stage was started with a holstered firearm in a from a normal stance and it was done twice. You were allowed a 4 point loss and still qualify. A round outside the "A" or "B" box was a 1 point loss. A round off the paper (A flyer) was 5 points lost. If you did not qual, you were allowed a re-shoot. If you failed that, you were desked and got remedial training and a re-qual shoot in one week.

3 ft-from an interview stance, slap the target with you weak hand. Draw your firearm and fire two rounds center mass from point three of the five point draw. 3 seconds.

5 yards-failure drill, reload (mag drop) and another failure drill. 7 seconds.

7 yards-failure drill, tactical reload and another failure drill. 7 seconds.

10 yards-failure drill. 5 seconds.

10 yards-Moving from right to left (10 feet) double tap WHILE moving <10seconds.

10 yards-Same drill moving from left to right.

15 yards-double tap. 3 seconds.

15 yards-Double tap strong hand unsupported. 3 seconds.

15 yards-Double tap weak hand unsupported. 5 seconds.

20 yards-double tap. 5 seconds.

20 yards-Double tap kneeling strong hand supported. 5 seconds.

20 yards-Same drill weak hand supported.

25 yards-double tap. 7 seconds.

This course of fire is very simple and easy, however if you are not proficient you can easily tell where you need to improve. Also with 58 rounds down range there is not a lot of room for error before you fail.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK, here I go again, professing my ignorance before the world!!! The only part of the course of fire drill that I am unfamiliar with is the term, FAILURE DRILL. Could you please define/explain the term?

Thanks again Darin, good stuff!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #28

It's no problem at all. Everyone has to start somewhere. A failure drill is a term used by LE that means after a threat was recognized you fired two shots center mass, however the threat "failed" to stop so you fired one shot to the head.

Thus the statement "two to the chest and one to the head."

The drill is to put to rounds in rapid succession to the chest, reassess quickly and one to the head.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-18-2011, 03:02 AM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Gotchya, thanks Darin.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #30

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
This was the standard course of fire for qualification when I was working. Keep in mind this course was designed to see if the officers were proficient enough to continue carrying a weapon. Every stage was started with a holstered firearm in a from a normal stance and it was done twice. You were allowed a 4 point loss and still qualify. A round outside the "A" or "B" box was a 1 point loss. A round off the paper (A flyer) was 5 points lost. If you did not qual, you were allowed a re-shoot. If you failed that, you were desked and got remedial training and a re-qual shoot in one week.

3 ft-from an interview stance, slap the target with you weak hand. Draw your firearm and fire two rounds center mass from point three of the five point draw. 3 seconds.

5 yards-failure drill, reload (mag drop) and another failure drill. 7 seconds.

7 yards-failure drill, tactical reload and another failure drill. 7 seconds.

10 yards-failure drill. 5 seconds.

10 yards-Moving from right to left (10 feet) double tap WHILE moving <10seconds.

10 yards-Same drill moving from left to right.

15 yards-double tap. 3 seconds.

15 yards-Double tap strong hand unsupported. 3 seconds.

15 yards-Double tap weak hand unsupported. 5 seconds.

20 yards-double tap. 5 seconds.

20 yards-Double tap kneeling strong hand supported. 5 seconds.

20 yards-Same drill weak hand supported.

25 yards-double tap. 7 seconds.

This course of fire is very simple and easy, however if you are not proficient you can easily tell where you need to improve. Also with 58 rounds down range there is not a lot of room for error before you fail.
Cut and pasted this one!! Thanks for the routine!

People get the government they deserve.