Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What do you do for defense training?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

I count the steps I take in each room of the house (and sometimes close my eyes as I move about). Three steps forward, turn left, 2 steps, turn right, 5 steps (yep I missed that dern dog that sleeps all the time, or the coffee table).

Know what is in the wall and what is on the other side. Wall board alone is a great conceal item, but a terrible barrier.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I count the steps I take in each room of the house (and sometimes close my eyes as I move about). Three steps forward, turn left, 2 steps, turn right, 5 steps (yep I missed that dern dog that sleeps all the time, or the coffee table).

That works great until the wife re-arranges the furniture!!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

Know what is in the wall and what is on the other side. Wall board alone is a great conceal item, but a terrible barrier.
Another thing that people forget. You have a HUGE advantage over the bad guy. He is on your turf. Great reminder Dan thanks.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #14

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts

Another thing you can do that doesn't involve shooting is to constantly be aware of your surroundings and those who surround you. Watch people and their actions. The hands and eyes are the most important areas to watch. Most often furtive eye movement and hand gestures will coincide with each other just prior to or at the onset of any action.

Be alert and look for areas of safety that offer cover or concealment for you and your family if an incident breaks out. Always think of getting to safety before engaging the threat unless your life depends on immediate action. It might be as simple as moving into a store from the court area in a mall. If possible continue to watch the incident as you move to safety while notifying the authorities, but don't jeopardize anyones safety in order to give a blow by blow account.

Another thing, police departments have stressed a danger zone called the "reactionary gap". This is an area within 21 feet of you where a person can get to you within 1.5 seconds and do you harm. If trouble presents itself to you always make sure you try to keep at least that distance. A person armed with a knife who is not very proficient with it can still get to you and do you harm before you react if within the 21 foot gap.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #15

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I've never had any formal training but I will add one factoid to this thread - know your gun and shoot it a lot. I've met bunches of folks that buy a gun & 1 box of ammo for protection - and put it in a dresser feeling very content. If you haven't fired at least 1000 rounds out of your defensive gun - you need to shoot it more...

Old 02-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I like to practice my defensive bayonet fighting. I pay attention to parrying with the blade and blocking with the stock of the rifle. After the block I like to follow through with a slash.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Due to the fact that I do not live in a free country my daily carry has to be a knife. And a folding knife at that. So I do a lot of practicing with pulling and deploying the blade in one motion. Then work on changing grips and stances.
God I hope I never have to utilize any of that training.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #18

Great info Guys and Shihan...you still scare me

NGIB, people always need to be reminded that the gun doesn't matter one bit if you can't hit anything with it or have no muscle memory. Great info thanks.

Jo, never under estimate the power of a knife in the right hands. Your practice is invaluable. Great advice

Car54 I am going to quote your reply and put it in my thread about things you might not consider thread. Good info for that thread.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/some-things-you-might-not-have-thought-about-37910/

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-14-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #19

I was asked to explain a couple of things in my OP.

The failure drill is a term coined by LE that means you fired two shoots to center mass, however the threat failed to stop therefore you put one last round in the head (or the "A" box)

Similarly, a double tap is anytime two rounds are fired in quick succession accurately. Usually they are at center mass, however sometimes can be in the "A" box. In my training scenarios the double tap is done at distances over 10 meters when a head shot is more difficult.

Lastly, the five point draw. This is a method of drawing a firearm from the holster with a little extra movement as possible. Practicing this method will encourage muscle memory and the ability to fire much sooner than "bowling."

1. Place your strong hand on your weapon ensuring a high purchase on the grip, while placing your weak hand against your belly just above your belt buckle.
2. Clear all retentions and draw the weapon out of the holster straight up.
3. Rotate the weapon 90* so that the muzzle is now facing the thread. The mag well on your weapon should be just above the opening of your holster.
From this position you can now fire your weapon if need be.
4. While bringing the weapon forward, bring your weak hand over and grasp the weapon.
5. As soon as both hands are on the weapon DRIVE the weapon straight forward locking the elbow on your strong hand and keeping the elbow on your weak hand pointing down.

This is a pretty good article with pics

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-16-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #20

Proper grip and sight picture are what ensures accuracy and it allows you or the trainer to tell you what you are doing wrong based on where your round goes on the paper.

First, the second knuckle on your fingers (the last knuckle a ring goes over when putting it on) should line up on top of each other and the thumb on your weak hand should follow in front of your strong hand thumb. Your trigger finger when on the trigger should have the last third of the tip of your finger on the trigger not the joint.

When obtaining a sight picture focus on the target, then bring the gun into your line of vision. Obtain your sight picture (line up the sites), then focus on the front sight. The rear site should be hazzy, the target fuzzy and the front site clear as a bell. When ready to fire, squeeze (some say press) the trigger until the weapon fires. It should surprise you. This is why you always hear "Front site, press."

Some other tips I've learned are to tighten the muscles in your back to pull your shoulders together. This and pushing your strong hand forward while pulling back on your weak hand will stabilize your weapon.

Some things that might be happening if you are RIGHT HANDED.

If you are missing to the left, you might be pulling too hard on your left hand. Lighten the pressure and make sure your left elbow is pointing down and not out.

A miss to the right can mean you are not squeezing the trigger or you knuckle joint in what is pulling the trigger. Rearrange so the last third of the tip of your finger is what is on the trigger and squeeze, don't jerk it.

A miss high could be a loose grip with your right hand.

A miss low is almost always anticipation. Do the mag trick I talked about in the OP.

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-16-2011 at 06:24 PM.