What do you do for defense training?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What do you do for defense training?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default What do you do for defense training?

There are a lot of us out here who have a wealth of training knowledge that can easily be passed on to the uneducated members here through this forum. So this is my question.

What do you do to train yourself to ensure that you are:
1) prepared for a threat if one comes up?
2) prepared for the type of threat you might encounter?
3) responsible and aware of your surroundings when dealing with that threat?

I am sure those with less than city/county/state/federal training might be forced to go to the range and shoot at targets because they don't know what to do to sharpen their skills.

Me,
I practice failure drills from a holstered position out to 10 yards and double taps to 20.

I load a mag interchanging between spent casings and live rounds and throw it in a box the night before. Then the next day when I have forgotten the order of dead rounds, I throw my other three mags loaded in the box and fish around for my mags. This way I have no idea when I will get a failure and will be forced to react and not predict.

I practice moving from side to side while engaging the target. I also make a conscious effort to locate cover/concealment.

Also practice a 5 point draw from the holster. You would not believe how much more accurate you are when you stop bowling.

Mag changes and holster drawing with an unloaded FA is very important. Practice drawing with it concealed, like you would have to in reality. Leave your shirt over the top and practice using your thumb to move your shirt out of the way while you draw.

Thanks guys

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 03:32 AM   #2

Run, jump, pull, push, swim, push ups, sit ups, anything that makes your pulse race your heart pound and your hands shake. Stress simulation will give you a good idea of how things will go down when things go south for real.

Darin, I thought you were on the job, right? Do you do this kinda stuff for quals? I am the firearms instructor in my dept. and really trying to get a stress course as part of qualification but no luck so far. Not in the budget apparently. Best I can do so far is have a few guys over to my house, on our dime, about three times a month to work on real shooting versus putting holes in paper. If you have any documentation you could send me that stresses training in regard to liability (vicarious liability) that would be great. I don't think anything else motivates my admin aside from the word " liability" and "money". Thanks and stay safe.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Run, jump, pull, push, swim, push ups, sit ups, anything that makes your pulse race your heart pound and your hands shake. Stress simulation will give you a good idea of how things will go down when things go south for real.

Darin, I thought you were on the job, right? Do you do this kinda stuff for quals? I am the firearms instructor in my dept. and really trying to get a stress course as part of qualification but no luck so far. Not in the budget apparently. Best I can do so far is have a few guys over to my house, on our dime, about three times a month to work on real shooting versus putting holes in paper. If you have any documentation you could send me that stresses training in regard to liability (vicarious liability) that would be great. I don't think anything else motivates my admin aside from the word " liability" and "money". Thanks and stay safe.
We had a high stress course of fire, but it was rare due to the time constraints on qual shooting. However on training rotation or active shooter/SWAT we did a specialized course of fire that involved shooting numbered targets, running, shooting around cover, crabcrawls and the like. Our department was very free with new things as long as there was time and our FA cadre pretty did whatever came to mind. I can try to locate any documentation they used.

My point with this post was to open up our training to the people with out specialized training. Simple things that they can take to the range to hone their skills instead of standing in front of a piece of paper and shooting.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-14-2011 at 03:44 AM.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:54 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I shoot, as much as the weather and my wallet will allow. I practice close quarters draw and fire drills in the garage with an empty gun or snap caps. I am just starting to get into shape and my hands shake just thinking about exercise.

My wife and I have gone through break in scenarios and I know that if it ever does happen, there will be problems.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I shoot, as much as the weather and my wallet will allow. I practice close quarters draw and fire drills in the garage with an empty gun or snap caps. I am just starting to get into shape and my hands shake just thinking about exercise.

My wife and I have gone through break in scenarios and I know that if it ever does happen, there will be problems.
That is great advice!
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My dad retired in sept. from what Jeepcreep is doing now, so I do whatever he throws at me when we're out

Failure drills; he'll load my mags with his back turned and I don't know how many rounds I have, if there are any duds, or where the duds are.
Sometimes he'll load my handgun and hand it to me, and I don't know if he put 1 round in or left it empty. This helped get rid of my flinch, and improved my DA pull.
Moving drills; generally 10 rounds in 10 seconds or 5 rounds in 5 seconds while moving quickly laterally or backward. Sometimes he'll lay out obstructions on the ground and have me slalom while attempting to keep my shots in center mass, requiring 10rds before I reach the last obstacle. This forces you to be aware of your terrain and keep your mind flexible.
Instinctive shooting; sometimes there isn't time for sights. I suspect that in most self-defense shootings outside the home, you're not going to know you need your gun until time has run out. I think it helps to be able to get your weapon out and get rounds into a target at close range without trying to acquire sight picture. Maybe you won't get 10 rounds dead center of the chest, but getting 7 rounds to your target's torso before you sustain an injury is a lot better than getting a knife in your gut while you search for your bead.
I also like to practice standing with my back against a target, turning, creating distance, drawing, firing.

There's 5 cents out of a penny

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 02-14-2011, 04:55 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Darrin, could you please explain 5 point draw as I am unfamiliar with the term. Thanks and please keep up these great posts, very informative!!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7036 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 8481

Also, I don't know what 'double taps' means. Can someone explain?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Winds of Change......Two closely-spaced, yet aimed shots, fired at the same target....

This gent shoots three "double taps".... and I too, would like to know more about the 5 point draw.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7036 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 8481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Winds of Change......Two closely-spaced, yet aimed shots, fired at the same target....

This gent shoots three "double taps".... and I too, would like to know more about the 5 point draw.

YouTube - 1911 double taps
Thank you.